Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Selection? What a cop out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    We won the clearances.. It might not look great on the stat sheet, but English is by a long stretch not close to being our main issue right now.
    Let's restrict it to 3 points
    * The inability of our mids to respect and respond to our opposition mids. Likely to lead to hypertension.
    * our insipid conversion...That will induce a stroke.
    * our turnovers..opposition are dining out and scoring at embarrassingly easy levels from our mistakes. You think the metrics on our hit outs looks bad. Check out the scores from our turnovers... It will cause you to have an embolism.
    I've got to stop watching! I already have hypertension...….
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you guys getting your stats from?
    We lost the clearances against the blues and also the magpies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    We showed Carlton no respect, from the selection to the siren.
    This sentence sums it up for me.

Might be a long bow to suggest selection/positioning has an effect on attitude / performance but they certainly played like it did. Yes, the mids got smashed & we then ask too much of a Cordy to withstand the flood our midfield couldn’t contain.

Playing a Lewis Young / keeping Lib in the centre may not have changed much, but at least we would’ve made more sense which may have influenced urgency at the contest.

It’s been an embarrassing few days for the club
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb_age View Post
    Where are you guys getting your stats from?
    We lost the clearances against the blues and also the magpies.
    Yeah we got reamed clearances. That is on our mids not English. He got his hand to the ball more than he has done in the last 2 weeks xombined. Our mids however did not respond perhaps MJP can more eloquently explain the cause of their deficiencies in this regard.

Post Thanks / Like

When you lose to Carlton by 44 points, the first team to concede 100 points to them in 3 years, there's plenty of blame to go around
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

6. Likes bulldogtragic, hujsh, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reckon our mids just thought it was all going to happen and were surprised by the ferocity of Carlton's mids in at the coalface. Haven't seen our midfield group as a collective so badly smashed in a long time.

With regard to team selection, I don't think we helped ourselves today especially down back. Why would we offer Trengove a 4 year deal and also extend contracts for Lewis Young and Roberts in particular, if we aren't going to play any of them in key defensive posts against an opposition with 3 tall marking targets? It's a failure of selection or list management, take your pick.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    When you lose to Carlton by 44 points, the first team to concede 100 points to them in 3 years, there's plenty of blame to go around
    True, no single stuff up or group of players under performing can explain such an event. It takes many people contributing across multiple areas to pull off something like this.

9. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Reckon our mids just thought it was all going to happen and were surprised by the ferocity of Carlton's mids in at the coalface. Haven't seen our midfield group as a collective so badly smashed in a long time.

With regard to team selection, I don't think we helped ourselves today especially down back. Why would we offer Trengove a 4 year deal and also extend contracts for Lewis Young and Roberts in particular, if we aren't going to play any of them in key defensive posts against an opposition with 3 tall marking targets? It's a failure of selection or list management, take your pick.
    Casboult was a late inclusion, so we probably thought we could handle the two talls, plus Curnow.

Carlton actually had the lowest marks inside 50 in the first 4 games, and somehow we believed we could stop their making - that was very wrong with our midget backline.

The first thing I posted today is exactly what MJP opened up with, we lost this game in the midfield - and that is where games are won and lost. Same against Collingwood, we were killing their mids to 3/4 time and they beat us in the last, with cont.poss, clearances and stoppages.

Carlton just worked harder than us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Casboult was a late inclusion, so we probably thought we could handle the two talls, plus Curnow.

Carlton actually had the lowest marks inside 50 in the first 4 games, and somehow we believed we could stop their making - that was very wrong with our midget backline.

The first thing I posted today is exactly what MJP opened up with, we lost this game in the midfield - and that is where games are won and lost. Same against Collingwood, we were killing their mids to 3/4 time and they beat us in the last, with cont.poss, clearances and stoppages.

McGovern, McKay (who is leading the entire comp in contested marks this season) and either Casboult/Curnow is plenty marking power - one extra tall down back would have been mandatory today I'd have thought. So why exactly do we have fully fit Lewis Young, Roberts and Trengove on our list?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Our personnel and game plan is such that you can basically say this about every game win, lose or draw.

We have one strength. Our midfield. If they're not getting it on their terms we're toast because we sure as hell don't have a plan B.

Every result this year literally hinges upon whether our mids can dominate. How often's that going to happen? Particularly if we get these bipolar demonstrations from them where maybe they're switched on or maybe they aren't?

If the application and output from your supposed position of strength is iffy from week to week, with no plan B or C, you probs ain't playing finals.

I for one welcome our top six 2019 draft pick.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

The Suckling and Duryea nay folk need to understand it's about what you replace them with and how that affects the team, this week we didn't replace them with guys nearly as good and it hurt us. That's to say the guys who came in cost us ultimately, but losing them didn't help.

Not selecting Trengove to help around all areas of the ground was a massive mistake. MJP, you'd know as an elite coach that having one and only one option for an entire area of the ground is completely stupid and that's what we put on show today in our defencive tall area. We also showed we had nothing in the air with the loss of Schache aside from a couple of excellent Gowers efforts that could possibly make us competitive, and once again, while he's not perfect putting Trengove there would have made that area of our game better. As an elite coach you'd know that entering a game with two of the three areas of the ground not covered with a tall option is just ****ing stupid.

And finally, the ruck. Tim English will be OK, but not having any cover for him when your midfield is completely ****ing rooted for effort is just plain stupid. Sure he broke even in stats, but when our actual engine room warriors were shitful having someone who can bash and crash and possibly help might be a good thing. As an elite coach there's no way in hell you would pull that shit mate.

Now I'm not saying you were wrong in your assessment, just possibly that you were a bit narrow with it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The EFFORT of the players was worse.

Wouldn't have mattered who we picked if the mids - our best players - wont compete.
    Why not have both . Poor performance and poor selection. Bevo admitted the mids were "cooked" in the last quarter of the pies game, so I'm a little unsure why we didn't account for that better. Gowers and Williams ok I certainly acknowledge they tried something there that didn't work but are we that bereft of talent we couldn't replace some of our tired mids the coaches knew were spent pre game? Jong and Lipinski played well against pies.
    Agree midfield was the biggest reason we lost ultimately, but to say selection is a cop out I disagree with. The senior coach is actually admitting the area of the ground that cost us the most, (the other being a midget defence in my opinion) was "cooked".
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 22-04-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    This is just wrong. We won the clearances vs the 'Pies and lost the hitouts by > 40.

If you have decided to blame the non-selection of Trengove - who has not played a useful game as a ruckman in our colours - then that is just a fantasy. I wish we had another ruck option but we dont. We have got people screaming for Lewis Young as the saviour down back on the game-day thread then bemoaning English getting pushed around...give me a spell.

Effort is effort. We didn't bring it.
    We lost the clearances v the Pies 33-26 (Centre 10-7 Stoppage 23-19)

Post Thanks / Like

Do you really think so?

Yesterday looked to me that Libba, Dunkley, McClean etc all had the $?@& it’s like if you want to put those kids in the midfield ahead of me, why would I try or even give a &$@!

Yes what was dished up yesterday was what I saw last time that BMac had control of the side.

And really do you blame them?
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb_age View Post
    Also note, Trengrove is not the solution, nor Boyd, nobody on the list that fixes this issue
    So English is the problem but there is no solution?

That's awesome. I guess we should just not bother hopping the flight this week 'cos we aren't going to be any good...

We've got what we've got. Fight through it. Pretty sure that's all any of us on here want!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.