Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Selection? What a cop out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Now I'm not saying you were wrong in your assessment, just possibly that you were a bit narrow with it.
    I'm happy for the selections to be criticised - but once the ball is bounced, the players need to bring effort otherwise it really doesn't matter who is playing. We didn't bring effort. It didn't matter who was playing.

All the comments around the 'can you blame them?' because selection was stupid/rookies were put in the midfield ahead of them...well, that isn't TEAM. What is it? Selfish rubbish.

Coaches coach. Players play. Allowing Sammy Seaton to have 25 in a HALF when his previous best was 27 in a GAME is simply pathetic...STAND UP!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton kicked 10.3 from our turnover
    We kicked 3.9 from theirs

As much as I spewed over team selection and knew from that point that McKay would have a field day, the MC had no friggin idea when it came to team structure on the field.

Our best clearance player in libba playing more fwd than mid ....FFS
    Dunkley standing beside the Carlton ruck waiting to see who he tapped it to....FFS

Don’t even get me started on the deplorable piss weak efforts of downhill skier Hunter.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm happy for the selections to be criticised - but once the ball is bounced, the players need to bring effort otherwise it really doesn't matter who is playing. We didn't bring effort. It didn't matter who was playing.

All the comments around the 'can you blame them?' because selection was stupid/rookies were put in the midfield ahead of them...well, that isn't TEAM. What is it? Selfish rubbish.

Coaches coach. Players play. Allowing Sammy Seaton to have 25 in a HALF when his previous best was 27 in a GAME is simply pathetic...STAND UP!
    Could we have made a coaching change to curb his influence ? I'm agreeing with you in principle. The players need to take their share of the blame. Whatever the plan before the game was wasn't working that's for sure maybe a Dunkley run with leading him to the ball ? Also Cripps you'd almost concede possession and hang out and pressure the guy he feeds it to he's unstoppable in close but handballs alot.
    Players not following instructions must be so frustrating I'm surprised Bevo still has hair.

Post Thanks / Like

Allowing Sammy Seaton to have 25 in a HALF when his previous best was 27 in a GAME is simply pathetic...STAND UP!
    I thought that was Andy Macleod circa 1997 out there...that’s what we made PS look like.
    Yep, simply pathetic.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Bevo admitted the mids were "cooked" in the last quarter of the pies game, so I'm a little unsure why we didn't account for that better. Gowers and Williams ok I certainly acknowledge they tried something there that didn't work but are we that bereft of talent we couldn't replace some of our tired mids the coaches knew were spent pre game?
    Even more confusing is that if we were trying to address our midfield "freshness" concerns why didn't we bring in Lipinski who is playing and training to be that midfielder and instead brought in Hayes who is a half forward flanker that doesn't play the role we need to fill.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

6. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So English is the problem but there is no solution?

That's awesome. I guess we should just not bother hopping the flight this week 'cos we aren't going to be any good...

We've got what we've got. Fight through it. Pretty sure that's all any of us on here want!
    That's all I want. I can handle losses, in fact you can't be a long term supporter and not have that in you, but being unorganised and not playing close to our ability is another matter.
    If Bevo wants to turn the team into a 16 or 18 midfielder set-up and it works then we will all come around quickly enough
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We lost the clearances v the Pies 33-26 (Centre 10-7 Stoppage 23-19)
    That turned around in the last quarter, up to that point we were smashing Collingwood's mids, and guess what we were in front. Their mids got on top in the last and they won.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We're not really talking about selection of its particular game though are we we are talking about a coach, coaches and MC that have spiralled into a vortex of madness and are too arrogant to change anything. My concern is that Bevo is seen as the Messiah and we will be subject to another 18 months of insanity.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

11. Likes Ghost Dog, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see your point MJP, and am as frustrated as everyone else. But when you are an cooking teacher and have to teach English, it's fine to do it once or twice for the team but it's not sustainable under pressure. If we had only had a standard set up of our best 22, I think we would have done fine against Carlton. We need to play people to their strengths.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Rather see Shack in the team and not Gowers if we are going to persist with a forward. He makes better decisions.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

14. Likes 1eyedog, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And kicks straight, something I thought might be highly valued at the club.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the feeling players are frustrated and disheartened with our goal kicking. Players work so hard to get a shot at goal only to see it pissed away by pretty much everyone bar a couple of players must be dispiriting. Watching players turn it over when the mids work so hard to get it must be dispiriting. Watching Caleb regularly get outmarked on the lastline of defence must be hard to watch.

Then to have the coach replace one of our best kicks with yet another turnover merchant in Hayes while replacing one of our few tall players with yet another flanker, to see our most experienced players replaced with debutantes when we are already too young. To see selection where only three tall players are picked and those three tall players have less than 100 games experience between them. To see poor old Dunkley playing fwd but clearly embarassed to kick at goal in front of anyone. Or watch Dunks rucking. Hows that going to work?

The players gave a half hearted performance and I can understand it. Accept it no. But understand it yes.

The list management, match day selection and position allocation is bewildering and almost looks like we are tankng - its that bad. I can understand players being pissed off.

We simply aren't giving ourselves the best chance to win.

And a side note, JT playing well in the ruck late last yr was a key factor and coincided with our team playing better. But if Bev won't pick him and would rather Dunkley rucked and run the risk of breaking English, then why on earth did Bev sign off on JT's recruitment?

17. Likes DOG GOD, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red White Blue View Post
    Get the feeling players are frustrated and disheartened with our goal kicking.
    100%.

Sink your free throws man!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red White Blue View Post
    Then to have the coach replace one of our best kicks with yet another turnover merchant in Hayes
    First game, bit harsh - AFL is so much faster than VFL.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    And kicks straight, something I thought might be highly valued at the club.
    Don't agree on that. In career Gowers has kicked 32 goals 25 behinds. Schache 47 goals 38 behinds. On par for accuracy.