Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  43
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shouldn't the Dogs be angrier with themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I wouldn't. Stringer has been lighting it up this year. I'm still dirty he's not with us. Every goal he kicks is another dagger through my heart. He nearly won the game for them yesterday he was sensational.
    Yesterday Stringer was as he has been his entire career, save for a consistent purple patch from late 2014 to late 2015 - occasional bursts of brilliance interspersed with half-arsed efforts and large parts unsighted. His goal in the last qtr of the 2016 GF could only be done by about 4-5 players in the entire comp, but he was missing for most of the rest of the match. Ditto yesterday - a couple of monster clutch goals and brilliant gathers mixed with some of the most insipid one-armed efforts in marking contests.

That's Jakey's lot at AFL level. He will frustrate for large parts but then produce something sublime that can win a flag.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes 1eyedog, Topdog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Yesterday Stringer was as he has been his entire career, save for a consistent purple patch from late 2014 to late 2015 - occasional bursts of brilliance interspersed with half-arsed efforts and large parts unsighted. His goal in the last qtr of the 2016 GF could only be done by about 4-5 players in the entire comp, but he was missing for most of the rest of the match. Ditto yesterday - a couple of monster clutch goals and brilliant gathers mixed with some of the most insipid one-armed efforts in marking contests.

That's Jakey's lot at AFL level. He will frustrate for large parts but then produce something sublime that can win a flag.
    Not many would have spotted up Dickson the way he did in the prelim the week before either. Most other bulldog players in history would have blasted away at goals and probably turned the ball over with 35 seconds left on the clock and we know how our luck usually holds in situations like that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

There were also the 3 goals in the v Hawthorn in the 2nd Semi.

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shit bloke amazing footballer who I thought would be with us forever. Selfish and Self centred but can he play. Is better than anyone on our list except Bont, perhaps Daniel. Eventually Naughton, maybe. Wanted to be with us forever but we pulled the pin. He was making some questionable life choices no doubt but there's heaps of shit blokes on AFL lists. The struggle between maintaing culture and getting players in that can win you Premierships is real. Stringer was within a bees dick of winning it for them yesterday.
    I can't agree with your assessment of Stringer at all. The one thing he's done consistently in his AFL career is play poorly against good teams. It's the only consistent he's ever produced. He's played 5 finals in his career for a total of 1 good quarter (against Hawthorn) and a couple of good moments. He also consistently battled whenever we played a top team, the best we could hope for was a couple of good moments and his opponent not to slaughter us.

He's a downhill skier who needs the play going his way for him to contribute. He's too lazy and unfit to do the hard things, and he doesn't have the will or courage to do the a tough things.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I can't agree with your assessment of Stringer at all. The one thing he's done consistently in his AFL career is play poorly against good teams. It's the only consistent he's ever produced. He's played 5 finals in his career for a total of 1 good quarter (against Hawthorn) and a couple of good moments. He also consistently battled whenever we played a top team, the best we could hope for was a couple of good moments and his opponent not to slaughter us.

He's a downhill skier who needs the play going his way for him to contribute. He's too lazy and unfit to do the hard things, and he doesn't have the will or courage to do the a tough things.
    That's fine and fair enough. I'd argue he did more good things than people think and I really just refer to clutch goals in the 2015 EF and 2016 finals series and his dynamic playing ability. He's been playing well this year but I get the harsh assessment.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

That's fine and fair enough. I'd argue he did more good things than people think and I really just refer to clutch goals in the 2015 EF and 2016 finals series and his dynamic playing ability. He's been playing well this year but I get the harsh assessment.
    Since mid 2016, he has been an ordinary player. Does the occasional freakish thing, but they are rare these days, because as Grey said he is lazy and does not have the intensity as someone like a De Goey.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Its all very well to to bag or not bag Stringer but even as half assed as he is, he probably just maybe has Gowers covered by the length of the Flemington Straight.

The bigger picture is that post 16 we have done opposite of what a good, young and successful club would've done and had a nett loss of talent.

Why has our injury and man management been so poor that we couldnt get the best out of and lost talent like Adams, Dahlhaus and Stringer? Meanwhile we cant attract anyone of note and not even anyone best 22 (Crozier excepted) at their former club. No we brought in a clearly cooked Cloke, duryea another back flanker that we didnt need, and lloyd who is aging and was always slow. Then there is Schache who has already been dropped for what we all suspect are effort reasons. You cant teach hunger. But we wiĺ all keep our fingers crossed...

But we do recruit Trengove.who seems.awfully similar to Roughhead in a role and looks. JT doesnt get picked till rd 6 while Rough plays solidly in a top 4 team...

We should have capitalised but instead pissed it away by not being good enough to manage and keep our 'different' players engaged and motivated.

Buddy and G Ablett aside, how many good young players did the Hawks and the Cats lose (young players that they didn't want to lose or couldnt manage) after their breakthrough flags?

In Hamling, Dahl, Adams and Stringer we have lost four very good youngish players since 16. Plus Rough. Plus Boyd who we cant get on the park or seem to motivate. Not to mention Dalrymple, one of the best recruiters ever seen at our 'club who we also couldnt retain.

Very annoying club since 16. Very.

11. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its one thing to gloss over the fact that Stringer is a 'shit bloke', which he is.

But lets look beyond Stringer as an individual and look at his overall impact at the club.

If his presence was having a negative impact on other players and attempts to address this have failed then you've got to make an assessment as to the value of keeping him versus the benefit of moving him on.

He's had some good games this year, however,

a) I'm not sure he'd have made much difference to our fortunes in the games we've lost this year
    b) If he was a disruptive influence then I'm comfortable with him being moved on.

He was a ticking time bomb who seemed to have little to no interest in putting things right off field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red White Blue View Post
    Its all very well to to bag or not bag Stringer but even as half assed as he is, he probably just maybe has Gowers covered by the length of the Flemington Straight.
    And yet they have about the same impact on games for their respective clubs.

Why has our injury and man management been so poor that we couldnt get the best out of and lost talent like Adams, Dahlhaus and Stringer?
    Adams going for more surgery right? Dahl is an interesting case but I dont believe he has ever been or ever will be an A grader.

Meanwhile we cant attract anyone of note and not even anyone best 22 (Crozier excepted) at their former club. No we brought in a clearly cooked Cloke, duryea another back flanker that we didnt need, and lloyd who is aging and was always slow.
    Ive been perplexed by many of these decisions

Then there is Schache who has already been dropped for what we all suspect are effort reasons. You cant teach hunger. But we wiĺ all keep our fingers crossed...
    If that is actually the reason he was dropped i am expecting wholesale changes this week.....

Yep unfortunately firmly agree

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to get the best out of Adams when he’s in a hospital ward awaiting his upteenth surgery .
    Agree with a few others on Jake , he will infuriate with his inconsistency and go missing in big games .
    But his sublime moments will happen more than Billy Gowers has his .

Post Thanks / Like

The bigger picture is that post 16 we have done opposite of what a good, young and successful club would've done and had a nett loss of talent.

Why has our injury and man management been so poor that we couldnt get the best out of and lost talent like Adams, Dahlhaus and Stringer? Meanwhile we cant attract anyone of note and not even anyone best 22 (Crozier excepted) at their former club. No we brought in a clearly cooked Cloke, duryea another back flanker that we didnt need, and lloyd who is aging and was always slow. Then there is Schache who has already been dropped for what we all suspect are effort reasons. You cant teach hunger. But we wiĺ all keep our fingers crossed...

But we do recruit Trengove.who seems.awfully similar to Roughhead in a role and looks. JT doesnt get picked till rd 6 while Rough plays solidly in a top 4 team...

We should have capitalised but instead pissed it away by not being good enough to manage and keep our 'different' players engaged and motivated.

Buddy and G Ablett aside, how many good young players did the Hawks and the Cats lose (young players that they didn't want to lose or couldnt manage) after their breakthrough flags?

In Hamling, Dahl, Adams and Stringer we have lost four very good youngish players since 16. Plus Rough. Plus Boyd who we cant get on the park or seem to motivate. Not to mention Dalrymple, one of the best recruiters ever seen at our 'club who we also couldnt retain.

Joel Hamling , Josh Kennedy off hand . Sydney have also been a great club ,lost last years Brownlow medalist .
    I tend to look at the performances of the ones we lost with our club, and to be honest they’d been ordinary for two seasons.
    Definitely shitted off on how we’ve recruited from other clubs ( bar Crozier) though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Its one thing to gloss over the fact that Stringer is a 'shit bloke', which he is.

But lets look beyond Stringer as an individual and look at his overall impact at the club.

If his presence was having a negative impact on other players and attempts to address this have failed then you've got to make an assessment as to the value of keeping him versus the benefit of moving him on.

He's had some good games this year, however,

a) I'm not sure he'd have made much difference to our fortunes in the games we've lost this year
    b) If he was a disruptive influence then I'm comfortable with him being moved on.

He was a ticking time bomb who seemed to have little to no interest in putting things right off field.

Well said

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Joel Hamling , Josh Kennedy off hand . Sydney have also been a great club ,lost last years Brownlow medalist .
    I tend to look at the performances of the ones we lost with our club, and to be honest they’d been ordinary for two seasons.
    Definitely shitted off on how we’ve recruited from other clubs ( bar Crozier) though
    That is ny point though. Its not that they were moved on.

Why were they shit for the two previous seasons? Why havent we been able to manage these players to get.the best out of them? If it was just one or two players blame the individual but at some point you need.to look at.the system. You add Libba to that as well as he may as well have not played in 17 as he was totally unmotivated.

Too many players havent played at their best for far too long.

We see it repeating now with Dunkley. Everyone can see he is shot fwd and played some good footy last yr in the guts. But Bev knows better and plays him fwd and ruck. It must be incredibly frustrating for Dunks.

I love Bev for what he did but since 16 he has dropped for the ball with player management.

Bev is simply NOT getting the best out of players, seeing some leave and way too many others plateau or go backwards (look at Bonts goal kicking).

Post Thanks / Like

Fair points, but not sure Bonts goalkicking can be put on the coach

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only person on the planet that was happy to pick up Duryea?
    Instant upgrade on Roarke and he cost us little.

Lloyd fills a need - he's not the answer but at least he's a natural forward.

Trengove should have been playing already and was probably our best ruck last year, as a FA signing he's exactly the type we should look at. A freebie.

I was one of the first on the Crozier bandwagon, no more commentary needed.

We manage to hold our first rounders every year too (although I suspect we trade away our 2020 first rounder, not needed with McPherson/Ugle-Hagen). This draft looks flush for mid/forwards which will help us but I'd still like support in the front half and a genuine swingman (Gardner as a mid-year draft option may suit us).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

21. Likes 1eyedog liked this post