Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  43
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shouldn't the Dogs be angrier with themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Am I the only person on the planet that was happy to pick up Duryea?
    Instant upgrade on Roarke and he cost us little.
    I think he's surplus on what we already have, cost us virtually nothing though so it's not all doom and gloom. When we first picked him I wasn't pleased and even now I would have rather just left him for another team.

Lloyd fills a need - he's not the answer but at least he's a natural forward.
    I was happy with getting Lloyd. Knows how to kick a goal and with Dixon that makes 2 on the list.

Trengove should have been playing already and was probably our best ruck last year, as a FA signing he's exactly the type we should look at. A freebie.
    Should be playing and I was happy with getting him.

I was one of the first on the Crozier bandwagon, no more commentary needed.
    Took me a while to warm up but reasonably pleased with it now. Pick 40 is all we gave up for him so again not one that broke the bank.

Only thing I'd argue Mof is that none of these guys are in the upper end of our best 22. While they didn't cost a lot they're all taking up list spots on multi year contracts and restricts what we can bring in next season or the season after. Hopefully they become the measuring stick for those in the VFL and they're pushed out but I sadly I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd argue that Crozier has been in our top 5 players this year would be right up there in the B&F and is an automatic selection of fit.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Its one thing to gloss over the fact that Stringer is a 'shit bloke', which he is.

But lets look beyond Stringer as an individual and look at his overall impact at the club.

If his presence was having a negative impact on other players and attempts to address this have failed then you've got to make an assessment as to the value of keeping him versus the benefit of moving him on.

He's had some good games this year, however,

a) I'm not sure he'd have made much difference to our fortunes in the games we've lost this year
    b) If he was a disruptive influence then I'm comfortable with him being moved on.

He was a ticking time bomb who seemed to have little to no interest in putting things right off field.
    All valid points, While I don't agree with the way Bevo played the issue out in the media which I think had an impact on other clubs interest in him I don't believe we had many other options other than either stick with him because of his contract or take a reasonable trade offer. A few good games here or there doesn't change that he was a bad influence at the club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Sorry, you've lost me. He finishes saying we should've (fans as well as club) been angrier Sunday night. I'd guess and say most fans were pretty angry to some degree. I mean what's he want, riots in the streets to make it clear we've had a gut full of a lot of things like goal kicking, etc, etc. I don't get where he's coming from.
    I was just so down about the Trengrove omission. Posted about it on the Facebook group too.
    It seemed like the perfect game to play him in.
    Maybe we should start a Getup campaign to improve our kicking....
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Of the players that have left in the last two years, the only player I can see that would fit back into our side and I would have back is Hamling. I love Roughead, but he is very slow and playing in a role that suits Collingwood and the players that are around him. Third man up masked how bad he was in the ruck.

Hamling is the big loss, and at the time he said his father was sick and he wanted to be back with family.

Of the players that have come in, Suckling and Crozier have been excellent, I think Duryea is playing well, but I am a little disappointed we picked up Lloyd.

I can see what the MC was doing, and ie to inject some experience into the team until the younger guys develop more. As for Trengove, well we are screaming out for a ruckman and he brings some experience to the role.

Lloyd was brought in to kick goals as we all know we are deficient in this area, so what is the big deal.

Glad to see the back of Stringer and Dahl who were ungrateful shit stirrers around the club
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Of the players that have left in the last two years, the only player I can see that would fit back into our side and I would have back is Hamling. I love Roughead, but he is very slow and playing in a role that suits Collingwood and the players that are around him. Third man up masked how bad he was in the ruck.

Hamling is the big loss, and at the time he said his father was sick and he wanted to be back with family.

Of the players that have come in, Suckling and Crozier have been excellent, I think Duryea is playing well, but I am a little disappointed we picked up Lloyd.

I can see what the MC was doing, and ie to inject some experience into the team until the younger guys develop more. As for Trengove, well we are screaming out for a ruckman and he brings some experience to the role.

Lloyd was brought in to kick goals as we all know we are deficient in this area, so what is the big deal.

Glad to see the back of Stringer and Dahl who were ungrateful shit stirrers around the club
    Lloyd leads our goal kicking, slotting 1.4 goals a game, so he is doing his job.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Lloyd leads our goal kicking, slotting 1.4 goals a game, so he is doing his job.
    He is??

No slight on the lad, he's contributing, but that perfectly underlines everything that's depressing about our forward competency.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    2 of the players who helped break a seemingly never ending premiership drought, sure they have there faults but I can never hold any animosity towards anyone from 2016. That was one of the happiest days of my life.

I'd still have Stringer back in a heart beat, I'd love someone in our team with that X Factor.

12. Likes chef, DOG GOD, 1eyedog, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why this is now a thread about Stringer?

For me, the lack of movement in the assistant coaches feels like a root cause for our current symptoms.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally still wish we had Stringer.

Has major flaws in his game and agree his form v top teams wasn’t great, but who else in our side can win a game by themselves like he can with either a burst or a miraculous moment? Nobody. Still only 25 or something too.

The likes of Lloyd and Gowers might be better blokes but they’re certainly not better footballers.

We’re a boring side minus Bont and Naughton.

15. Likes SonofScray, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm filthy. Spiralling into a malicious rage. Been trying so hard to temper things, I can see plenty of the rationale for why things have been the way they have since 2017. However, I am struggling to move past the feeling that Grant and Bevo have absolutely botched it. That the admins quick reversion to a quiet, ultra conservative approach has botched it. History has repeated itself.