Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shouldn't the Dogs be angrier with themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    I think the point of the article is the complacency of club officials to not address issues we all are aware of through coaching, strategy and drafting.
    Bevo is the type that is not afraid to try things and make mistakes. He did that to win a flag, so he ain’t gonna Change. We are all peeved because last week he tried too much in one game and hence not giving the team the best chance to win. (I did find it interesting on the video of Young and Hayes being told they were making their debut that Bevo said everything they are presently trying is to make sure that when they make finals again they will win them)!

Given all the players that have been signed-up on long-term Contracts, he has not lost the players.

The club under Gordon appears to back coaches over the long-term, believing instability to have harmed this club for too long They are right but remember, it was Cyclops leaving the Bullies for GWS that eventually bought McCartney’s downfall, so they have to be prepared to pull the trigger when that comes. With that being said, I too have been thinking that the Assistants are getting a bit too comfy at the Club. No need for wholesale changes but one or two new ones would be worthwhile: one experienced coach and a rookie.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how Hodge would go?
    Has he got another year in him or do we give him a try.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I wonder how Hodge would go?
    Has he got another year in him or do we give him a try.
    At least he would be cheap. What with his age pension and all
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not angry just tired of seeing the glaring problems I see week in week out
    Question need to be asked :

1. Why has our goal kicking not being addressed ?
    2. From observation , our fitness does not seem to be as high as where it was in 2015-16 season . We were able to overrun teams . How much has cordy departure impacted ?
    3. What impact is rotating / losing the coaching staff have an impacted our players continuity ?
    Gotch was an amazing game coach from what he had achieved and developed in VFl. Hansen inherited a good setup to win the GF vfl flag in 2016 . why they hell we did not keep gotch?

4. Do we have too many average players without any xfactor?
    5. Demanding multiple positions , is that confusing the players or stifling their ability just to be good at the one position ? Interesting bucks does Not demand multiple positions and has specific roles. cox is not being shredded each week in the ruck . Hudson played important 2 Seasons so that Grundy could develop. Maybe we just kept Campbell for too Long ??? Roughead is just playing back.

I watched the post conference and Bevo looked like he had run out of ideas . An analogy came to mind , you prepare for the exam for a term and then when come for the test you realise your under prepared , studied for the wrong thing or just donT have any answers for the day time questions (tactics ) which are thrown at you because your brain(players) are not agile or trained to respond quickly enough . Not trying to be critical or smug , but I was very concerned with his response.

Maybe he needs a BAD cop type of coach who can be the disciplinarian , who calls a spade a spade? Interesting that Bucks has mellowed more with the right assistants around him .

What to do ? As they would say in Nepali .

I donÂ’t have any ideas either but I will continue to rant and rumble as I am forever footy tragic .

6. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, azabob, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I questioned Rocco on this article on why he didn't do some investigative reporting to find reasons, instead of just reporting what we know. He claimed he was only allowed to write so many words. To me it is a cop out and lazy journalism.

If you are going to write these articles, then delve deeper and tell us what has been happening.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually thought Bevo was OK then. Having said that, I'm watching it well and truly after the blood has cooled.

RoCo is the master of writing articles to generate discussion and hits now, because that's what his freelance career and business model is incentivised by. He doesn't want to give answers, what he wants to do is generate clicks and discussion so links can be followed and advertisements can be consumed. He's still a good writer, but the substance of his writing markedly deteriorated in his last while at The Age as it moved to an online bias, and it's gotten worse since.

I actually thought Bevo looked the most livid he has ever looked and did all he could by not throwing players and the entire organisation under the bus. To MJP's point players play where they are told to, and in context if Bevo had have said "we tried the things we tried but our players were completely piss weak, and we as a coaching group screwed up" he'd have been murdered retrospectively (which he has been by us).

Do we really want that immediately after a game when tension is high? He answered every question and didn't resort to some of the churlish and childish responses more recent and previous premiership coaches have. I won't commend him for that because it's just a basic part of his job, but I won't whip him for only telling half the story of what happened on the night.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Thanks GVGjr, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I questioned Rocco on this article on why he didn't do some investigative reporting to find reasons, instead of just reporting what we know. He claimed he was only allowed to write so many words. To me it is a cop out and lazy journalism.

If you are going to write these articles, then delve deeper and tell us what has been happening.
    So many words? Ah, it’s his platform he can write as many as he wants!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

1. Why has our goal kicking not being addressed ?
    Well. What we know is it hasn't improved. We don't know what they are addressing. Whatever they are doing hasn't been successful, but I just think all of us saying 'it isn't being worked on' MIGHT be unfair...who knows, maybe we are on the worlds biggest "J" curve! :-)

2. From observation , our fitness does not seem to be as high as where it was in 2015-16 season . We were able to overrun teams . How much has cordy departure impacted ?
    The counter from me. You look fitter when you hit targets and take intercept marks. We have dropped away incredibly with our handball skills AND our ability to intercept/create turnovers...

If we could start doing those things, we wouldn't be spending so much time chasing opposition butts and would look like we are running on top of the ground.

Is there a difference in S+C staff/teams? Of course their is, but I don't think this is a massive factor.

3. What impact is rotating / losing the coaching staff have an impacted our players continuity ?
    Gotch was an amazing game coach from what he had achieved and developed in VFl. Hansen inherited a good setup to win the GF vfl flag in 2016 . why they hell we did not keep gotch?
    Is winning VFL flags important? It is fun, but it isn't really important and too much focus on winning at that level can detract from player development for the senior side.

4. Do we have too many average players without any xfactor?
    I would almost say the opposite. Right now we could do with a little more steak and a little less sizzle.

5. Demanding multiple positions , is that confusing the players or stifling their ability just to be good at the one position ? Interesting bucks does Not demand multiple positions and has specific roles. cox is not being shredded each week in the ruck . Hudson played important 2 Seasons so that Grundy could develop. Maybe we just kept Campbell for too Long ??? Roughead is just playing back.
    How do you get inside a players head? For me, if I was battling as a forward I would like another 'string' that kept me in the game vs sent me to the bench/vfl. Is this over-emphasised at our club? Well, it seems to be from the outside, but how are we really to know?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From observation , our fitness does not seem to be as high as where it was in 2015-16 season . We were able to overrun teams
    I agree and I think it is directly related to our goal kicking woes. Kicking under fatigue to me would be the hardest part of set sets.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I would almost say the opposite. Right now we could do with a little more steak and a little less sizzle
    I wouldn't. Stringer has been lighting it up this year. I'm still dirty he's not with us. Every goal he kicks is another dagger through my heart. He nearly won the game for them yesterday he was sensational. I'll take Stringer for Lloyd thanks. Happy to also pass on one of Dunkley or Wallis or any other steaks in the team for some outside run with kicking penetration. Collingwood's Maynard would be nice.

If you're simply inferring existing players play within their limitations I completely agree.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

14. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I wouldn't. Stringer has been lighting it up this year. I'm still dirty he's not with us.
    I am surprised by this comment, knowing what you know about his personal side and what a shit bloke he was in 2016 to 2017 with us.

In 6 games has kicked 11 goals, hardly a world beater. How many times again yesterday was he sitting at the back of the pack waiting for cheapies, and not wanting to get his body bruised.

Good average player at best.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised by this comment, knowing what you know about his personal side and what a shit bloke he was in 2016 to 2017 with us.

In 6 games has kicked 11 goals, hardly a world beater. How many times again yesterday was he sitting at the back of the pack waiting for cheapies, and not wanting to get his body bruised.

I would argue that he could be in the elite bracket and that we even saw that for most of 2015. I’d agree his output is good-average at best.

Imagine Stringer if he was a great bloke and elite competitor in the Daniel Cross mould! Unfortunately, he seems more like Fevola- could be best on ground or could be overweight and playing amateurs in his prime.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're simply inferring existing players play within their limitations I completely agree.
    1/. I love Stringer.

2/. Yeah - this is what I mean. I just feel we have too many trying to do 'fancy' stuff when it isn't needed...stop kicking around corners, trying to take one-handers, trying to spot-up one player in the midst of 3x oppo players...ALL of that looks amazing when it works, but not all 22 should have a license to try it.

If some of our developing players had a look at the development of Liam Picken's career they would be well served by trying to emulate it...start with the steak. Get established. Add the 'special sauce' later (MUCH later). Williams is a good example at the moment...it doesn't matter how talented he is, 9 touches (4 in 3-quarters) is not going to cut it. Become a consistent 20per game player - your talent will shine. Dont guess with your running patterns NOW. Get a good starting point vs your opponent and build from there...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually he is a good average player at worst. At best he is in elite Garry Ablett Senior territory.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Shit bloke amazing footballer who I thought would be with us forever. Selfish and Self centred but can he play. Is better than anyone on our list except Bont, perhaps Daniel. Eventually Naughton, maybe. Wanted to be with us forever but we pulled the pin. He was making some questionable life choices no doubt but there's heaps of shit blokes on AFL lists. The struggle between maintaing culture and getting players in that can win you Premierships is real. Stringer was within a bees dick of winning it for them yesterday.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Shit bloke amazing footballer who I thought would be with us forever. Selfish and Self centred but can he play. Is better than anyone on our list except Bont, perhaps Daniel. Eventually Naughton, maybe. Wanted to be with us forever but we pulled the pin. He was making some questionable life choices no doubt but there's heaps of shit blokes on AFL lists. The struggle between maintaing culture and getting players in that can win you Premierships is real. Stringer was within a bees dick of winning it for them yesterday.
    Like my dear old mum often says "We just can't have nice things"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.