Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Development of Players - Questions

I'm hoping for a straight down the line discussion on development. It's not a positive or negative framework, but is the current individual development plans working?

That's to say, I'm starting to get concerned about a few things:

- Boyd wasn't given long enough as a forward to me. Certainly a lot less time than others in the comp to grow into the role. Since rucking, his very good goal kicking has slipped and injuries are up.

- Schache. See above. He can kick 3 goals in probably the best 14 minutes of football that this club hs ever played but gets no credits in the bank to play through poor games. Others do.

- McLean. His move into the midfield last year was one of the best stories of the year. Now he's rotating around high half forward, occasionally higher, and not impacting games like he did last year. I'm not sure why.

- Dunkley. His form at the end of last year as an inside midfielder was another great story. As was the flow on form Bontempelli had. Now he's spending a lot of time forward, like early last year, and missing simple set shots. Why are we regressing him? And now we are back to rucking him.

- Cordy. He's been slowly developing into a very good defender, but he's not a week in, week out, gorilla tamer. If he continues to get beaten I fear for his confidence since Roberts is on the list 'in name only'. What are we doing?

- English. Solo ruckman. There's no Trengove, despite form, to wear the rucks down to help out Tim. Is this the best development for him?

- Lewis Young. Has very good raw talent. Basically spent the year in the VFL, I thought he was OK, but was dropped.

- Williams. I don't really know what the plan is with him.

- Webb. Started his career with a bang with that left leg cannon rebounding off half back. Then he's shoved into the VFL to be an inside mid. Then when he demands promotion, he was playing a lot of forward flank at AFEL level. I'm confused what's going on, and I'd guess he's confused too.

- Bontempelli. Playing great footy, but how does he go from a near dead certainty shooting for goal, to 1.9 plus complete misses. With so much apparent effort to increase goal kicking skills cross the board, how is Bonts going under 10% accuracy.

- Wood. He climbed the mountain in 2016 as captain on GF day. But has seemingly fallen down the mountain in painful fashion since.

- This one is more of a question. Naughton. He's played 7 games as a forward for 8 goals, 6 behinds. He's a beast of a contested mark. But can we pick an end of the ground to put him, and we've been crying out for a KPD who can intercept mark. Yet he's left forward. The scores from turnovers need him and his skill set. I still think he's shown more as a KPD.

Generally, the skill level hasn't developed or improved. Obviously 18th for goal accuracy speaks for itself.

With so many full time professional coaches and more resources than ever before... Why?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks The bulldog tragician, Sedat, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Dancin' Douggy, josie, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Development of Players - Questions

Dunkley is the biggest head scratcher for mine. His numbers towards the back half of the year were elite, he partners well with Bont, they travelled and trained together in the off season and we're playing him in the exact manner which led to his form slump at the start of last year.

I'm not sure it's a development issue, more a utilisation issue.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm not sure it's a development issue, more a utilisation issue.
    Well said. So many our player development issues come down to this point. So many examples. The question is why?

Post Thanks / Like

Because Bevo is hell bent on every player being able to play more than one position.
    The curse is dead.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Because Bevo is hell bent on every player being able to play more than one position.
    I think he's abandoned the Wood-forward experiment.

Even Suckling was trialled as a defensive forward during JLT 2 (not great results).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

- Boyd wasn't given long enough as a forward to me. Certainly a lot less time than others in the comp to grow into the role. Since rucking, his very good goal kicking has slipped and injuries are up.

Don't agree - he was thrown more ruck time due to others being injured. I didn't have any issues with him being the second ruck for small stints, but with Roughead and Campbell not up to scratch plus with injuries, we didn't have anyone else.

- Schache. See above. He can kick 3 goals in probably the best 14 minutes of football that this club hs ever played but gets no credits in the bank to play through poor games. Others do.

He has predominantly been a forward - not sure the issue here? 7 diposals, no goals v GC and 4 disp against Pies - hardly good form.

- McLean. His move into the midfield last year was one of the best stories of the year. Now he's rotating around high half forward, occasionally higher, and not impacting games like he did last year. I'm not sure why.
    - Dunkley. His form at the end of last year as an inside midfielder was another great story. As was the flow on form Bontempelli had. Now he's spending a lot of time forward, like early last year, and missing simple set shots. Why are we regressing him? And now we are back to rucking him.

The coach is trying to find players to kick goals, Mclean started off as a forward/mid. Maybe it hasn't worked, but we need to try everything to kick goals, because the other blokes aren't - even Wood up fwd.

Also, with Libba back in the team, and Wallis playing each week, we have to work out their best positions.

- Cordy. He's been slowly developing into a very good defender, but he's not a week in, week out, gorilla tamer. If he continues to get beaten I fear for his confidence since Roberts is on the list 'in name only'. What are we doing?

He does need help, he is not a KPP, but, if Lewie Young doesn't do what the coaches ask, what do you do, play him anyhow? Roberts, well he is just slow.

- English. Solo ruckman. There's no Trengove, despite form, to wear the rucks down to help out Tim. Is this the best development for him? Yes he is developing along beautifully

- Lewis Young. Has very good raw talent. Basically spent the year in the VFL, I thought he was OK, but was dropped.

Needs to do more, love him to develop into a good backman. Remember he is still 20 years old and may take a little longer.

- Williams. I don't really know what the plan is with him. Needs to pull his finger around and stop the off field antics

- Webb. Started his career with a bang with that left leg cannon rebounding off half back. Then he's shoved into the VFL to be an inside mid. Then when he demands promotion, he was playing a lot of forward flank at AFEL level. I'm confused what's going on, and I'd guess he's confused too.

His early days at HBF, were just passable. He has been in and out of the team because when he comes in not up to AFL standard

- Bontempelli. Playing great footy, but how does he go from a near dead certainty shooting for goal, to 1.9 plus complete misses. With so much apparent effort to increase goal kicking skills cross the board, how is Bonts going under 10% accuracy.

The Bont is a star - yes he needs to kick goals this season, but over his career has a good record. Hardly a development issue.

- Wood. He climbed the mountain in 2016 as captain on GF day. But has seemingly fallen down the mountain in painful fashion since. Is this a development issue? After 2016, he has an ankle reconstruction polus a major hamstring tear. Hasn't been as good since.

An alternate view

I think we have a great crop of young players and the more experience we get in them the better we will be.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Williams has been a big disappointment early this season. A lot of us were expecting him to take the next step this year and he seems to have all the tools but has squandered his opportunities.

I also understand the McLean forward idea. Clearly the coaches have identified our lack of personnel in the forward fifty and McLean is one of the few players we have who can kick goals. In his first season he came on the scene looking like he might be a Jamie Elliott type. Maybe if he's given more time there we will see some scoreboard impact.

I'd really like to see Greene string some senior games together later this year when returned from injury, he looks to be a natural leading forward who can spread defences.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Williams has been a big disappointment early this season. A lot of us were expecting him to take the next step this year and he seems to have all the tools but has squandered his opportunities.

I also understand the McLean forward idea. Clearly the coaches have identified our lack of personnel in the forward fifty and McLean is one of the few players we have who can kick goals. In his first season he came on the scene looking like he might be a Jamie Elliott type. Maybe if he's given more time there we will see some scoreboard impact.

I'd really like to see Greene string some senior games together later this year when returned from injury, he looks to be a natural leading forward who can spread defences.
    Hopefully Dale finds some form as well, as I think Dickson may be cooked.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Wallis has been the big problem for Dunkley and McLean. Why has Wallis been moved back into the midfield when he was so effective inside F50 both as a goalkicker and a pressure forward? We lack both elements in our F50 now, and Wallis hasn't added much to the midfield mix.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Likes DOG GOD, Doc26, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bont is a star - yes he needs to kick goals this season, but over his career has a good record. Hardly a development issue.
    The Bont is a star but his career average is hinging on 50/50. I would like to see this more 70/30 because of who he is.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    The Bont is a star but his career average is hinging on 50/50. I would like to see this more 70/30 because of who he is.
    He doesn't need to be a goal kicker, as long as he can get the ball inside 50 to someone that can. eg; Cripps has only kicked 30 goals in 80 plus games. I don't like Bont in the forward line, I want him in the midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hopefully Dale finds some form as well, as I think Dickson may be cooked.
    Was great in 2017 but yeah have missed his influence. Need to get that 2017 form back.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He doesn't need to be a goal kicker, as long as he can get the ball inside 50 to someone that can. eg; Cripps has only kicked 30 goals in 80 plus games. I don't like Bont in the forward line, I want him in the midfield.
    No he doesn't but Bevo does play him forward a fair bit. All I would like is when he does shoot it's a better outcome.
    I would rather more mid time as well.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion the return of Libba certainly hasn’t help the chances of dunks and McLean playing the midefield time they had last year, and Wallis spending more time mid than fwd.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Putting aside goal kicking for a minute, one of the things Bevo has done is try and bring in players that are good kicks of the footy.

It started with outside recruits like Suckling, Duryea, and Lloyd, plus drafting the likes of Richards, Naughton, Smith, English over the last two years.

We just need these guys and the rest of the team to kick straight at goals.