Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 47 of 141 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If the sole reason was go home factor - yes
    Some at Brisbane thought his home sickness was close, if not, manifesting in depression. So homesickness was the sole reason with Josh. Pretty harsh to call someone with homesickness related depression a Sooky lala. If Florent could well the same with the death of his father rolled into it. Wanting to play footy close to home to feel better psychiatrically ain't Sooky lala. Should they just stay at the club completely miserable? Should Tom Boyd have seen his contract out, after all footy is a tough game and he knew that. Is he a Sooky lala?

Even when I don't agree, I see where you are coming from. On this, I have no idea.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well don't nominate to play AFL - you could be living in Gold Coast to Freo. Stay home and play VFL, or SANFL etc
    And they have the right to request a trade. The draft isn't a slave auction where humans are bought and owned. A club can refuse, but players can request a trade out for all, any or no real good reason.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Mofra, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well don't nominate to play AFL - you could be living in Gold Coast to Freo. Stay home and play VFL, or SANFL etc
    Not sure how you would go about watching previous Open Mike episodes, but the one of the Florent family was very moving. It's not just Oliver you have to think about in these situations (i.e his Mum)

I remember write ups on the draft at the time were mentioning that there was almost an agreement from interstate clubs not to draft him based on the family situation - that was obviously either false or negotiated out of late.

Brisbane have done very well recently in managing their list of imports - and word was Bailey Smith made it very clear to interstate clubs he had no interest staying anywhere other than Victoria long term.

We ask a lot of young men - yeah it's a national comp and they're living their dream, but geez...
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

6. Likes Mofra, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Times have changed. If a player wants to go "home" clubs look at it compassionately now days. Just got to hope Naughty and Timmy don't feel like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Some at Brisbane thought his home sickness was close, if not, manifesting in depression. So homesickness was the sole reason with Josh. Pretty harsh to call someone with homesickness related depression a Sooky lala. If Florent could well the same with the death of his father rolled into it. Wanting to play footy close to home to feel better psychiatrically ain't Sooky lala. Should they just stay at the club completely miserable? Should Tom Boyd have seen his contract out, after all footy is a tough game and he knew that. Is he a Sooky lala?

Even when I don't agree, I see where you are coming from. On this, I have no idea.
    Well I don't know anything about depression, and will not comment on it as I am not qualified.

I just think majority of players (not with depression), are using it as an excuse to go to the club they want to go to.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't know anything about depression, and will not comment on it as I am not qualified.

I just think majority of players (not with depression), are using it as an excuse to go to the club they want to go to.
    Maybe some are - I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt to young guys who have had a parent pass away though.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Maybe some are - I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt to young guys who have had a parent pass away though.
    Three years ago

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Three years ago
    *!*!*!*! that's ice cold.

This thread is getting real dark, real quick. I might sit it out for a while.

12. Likes Mofra, azabob, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    *!*!*!*! that's ice cold.

This thread is getting real dark, real quick. I might sit it out for a while.
    We will leave it there then

Post Thanks / Like

Edit.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Edit. Im out.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe mods can clean it up and delete all posts so it doesn’t get picked up again.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Maybe mods can clean it up and delete all posts so it doesn’t get picked up again.
    Why?

Post Thanks / Like

I would certainly welcome Florent. He would be an ideal acquisition but I won't get my hopes up.

My take is that we clearly want a quick outside mid (or two) to complement our superb inside artillery. We have been linked with Smith, Hill, Martin and now Florent. I'd say we aren't putting all our eggs in one basket. That may be because the costs associated with Smith, Hill and Martin could be more than we are willing to spend or they are committed elsewhere etc. So we widen the search. I expect more names we didn't see coming to be linked with us before too long and possibly in positions we may not expect.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

19. Likes Mofra, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And players can request a trade. You seem to be jumping on the all homesick trade requests are just money grabs BS that the media sells.

Quite a few just simply want to go home, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.