Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 49 of 141 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

I could imagine a scenario where his family pushed for him to follow his dreams and do whatever he could to make it work. I've had friends lose loved ones and parents and still move away from family to do what they think they need to do to set themselves up. Some feel the pull to come back, others don't, and both responses can be for different reason.

It's not the same thing as losing a parent, but I had illness in my family announced when I was on the verge of deciding whether to stay in Vietnam for an extended period. I'm missing out on watching family grow and consolidating relationships I formed with people prior to leaving. I miss home, I want to go back and know what I'm doing for my career has a shelf life and I can tell you that I am going home for personal and family reasons. I might go back to a job with the same company, consulting is funny like that, I'd love to be able to go back to a choice of nine companies like Victorian kids who play AFL do (and are good enough - maybe I should be better at my job) if I wasn't able to transfer.

AFL football is a career now, as soon as everyone becomes more pragmatic about these things the better.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Thanks The Adelaide Connection thanked for this post
    Likes ratsmac, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I get a bit uncomfortable with players wanting to move home for personal reasons and then nominating a club or two they only want their incumbent club to deal with to get a deal done.

That's asking for a bit much and can be seen to be disingenuous, but others view it differently.

If we could get him it would be great. As you may have picked up I'm over improving the list in any possible way at the right price.
    To be fair, that's a very different issue but it's a very valid talking point, although it wasn't the issue being discussed. Calling out Josh Schache & Florent as 'sookie lalas' and dismissing the role of grief (or at least putting a time limit on a kid's grief) and mental illness related to missing home is a very different issue. In our own kids defence, Schache was prepared to play for any Victorian team willing to back him in. Luckily for us, that 'sookie lala' picked us, and us him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes The Adelaide Connection, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For clarity on homesickness and separation anxiety disorder:

Whereas separation anxiety disorder is characterized by "inappropriate and excessive fear or anxiety concerning separation from those to whom the individual is attached" symptoms of homesickness are most prominent after a separation and include both depression and anxiety. In DSM terms, homesickness may be related to Separation Anxiety Disorder, but it is perhaps best categorized as either an Adjustment Disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood (309.28).

Neither sound fun.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    To be fair, that's a very different issue but it's a very valid talking point, although it wasn't the issue being discussed. Calling out Josh Schache & Florent as 'sookie lalas' and dismissing the role of grief (or at least putting a time limit on a kid's grief) and mental illness related to missing home is a very different issue. In our own kids defence, Schache was prepared to play for any Victorian team willing to back him in. Luckily for us, that 'sookie lala' picked us, and us him.
    Was actually just trying to illustrate a slight contrast to the discussion and add to it in some way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Was actually just trying to illustrate a slight contrast to the discussion and add to it in some way.
    I've no issue with what you posted in the slightest at all. On that topic it's an area which I think needs to be explored and addressed. Or as an industry players don't specify why they want the trade at all. Does the reason really matter too much? If the player and his manager have approached the club seeking a trade then it's up to the club to agree, reject it or try to talk them around. Or work on deals with other clubs and offer them to 'go there or stay here'. It might be simpler and easier to leave the reasons for requesting the tree out of it. I don't see the rapid player movements slowing, so some thought has to go into the clubs side of getting a fair return. Otherwise just give up and do something stupid like offer immediate free agency. The new CBA offers some opportunity to work through these things. Trading whilst under contract seems to be the current strategy and seems somewhat effective. Take Florent, it's in Sydney's interest to trade him this year under contract than wit out a year and live with some doubts or diminished returns. But then again, contracts will mean next to nothing for players or clubs. I guess we all sit back and see what the industry wants to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think the clubs and the industry itself take everyone for fools because of the apparent or perceived reliance on parochialism and the genuine need for the media to create content in the post season - and both interplay.

For instance, how interested in trade week would everyone be without parochialism, or if parochialism was replaced with pragmatism? Two respective lists trying to improve themselves isn't at all sexy compared to trade week and the constant drama associated with it, and for the most part that's all it is.

Players move, sure, clubs sometimes want it to happen and at other times they don't. We never know the real reasons for it happening and rarely come close to knowing. So what fills the space is content and innuendo and it gets us all talking, but it doesn't really mean much.

The sooner we drive towards a more professional and pragmatic approach the better.

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

SEN reporting that Ben McKay is considering a move for more opportunity. A few of us have mentioned him in this thread, could be a clever pick up.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    SEN reporting that Ben McKay is considering a move for more opportunity. A few of us have mentioned him in this thread, could be a clever pick up.
    Could be a smart pickup, we need someone to play on the gorillas and Trengove won't be around forever.

Our last player from Warragul turned out alright too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Could be a smart pickup, we need someone to play on the gorillas and Trengove won't be around forever.

Our last player from Warragul turned out alright too.
    Has Ben done an ACL? Or am I thinking of the other twin brothers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Has Ben done an ACL? Or am I thinking of the other twin brothers
    Max King did an ACL during his draft year. Ben and Harry McKay are a few years older.
    Harry's currently one of the best contested marks in the competition as a forward for Carlton. Ben has played more KPD but does switch forward at times, contested marking is a feature of his game too.

16. Thanks Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Max King did an ACL during his draft year. Ben and Harry McKay are a few years older.
    Harry's currently one of the best contested marks in the competition as a forward for Carlton. Ben has played more KPD but does switch forward at times, contested marking is a feature of his game too.
    Sounds like a good candidate for that important key defender spot. Good age too. Plenty of footy left

Post Thanks / Like

So apparently Port can't pay their players, which is quite frankly astonishing, but would also suggest that anyone they have on decent money is probably gettable. Anyone worth looking at?

Maybe we could get in Zak Butters ear early and question if he really wants to move interstate to have his cheques bounce.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So apparently Port can't pay their players, which is quite frankly astonishing, but would also suggest that anyone they have on decent money is probably gettable. Anyone worth looking at?

Maybe we could get in Zak Butters ear early and question if he really wants to move interstate to have his cheques bounce.
    Karl Amon on the cheap at the trade table? We're clearly looking at adding a mature outside runner and he'd be the cheapest of the lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe it. They're one of two teams in Adelaide and SA. It's crazy

Post Thanks / Like

As in salary cap or actually don’t have the money ?
    Can’t see them not having the money as I think the AFL practically gives you your salary money with the share from the media deals, also your own sponsors and memberships , a two club town how could you not have it ??
    Bring back the biff