Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 50 of 141 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/port-ad...5-279db207cf41

Port Adelaide is struggling so badly off the field that the club has reportedly asked some of its best players to roll over their 2019 salaries over to the 2020 season.

Speaking on Footy Classified, veteran AFL reporter Caroline Wilson revealed that the Power's dire profit-and-loss situation had resulted in the desperate calls made to some of it's most prolific players.

"They've got a profit-and-loss issue and my understanding is that several senior players have been asked to roll money over from 2019 to 2020," Wilson said.

"I'm talking about Robbie Gray, Travis Boak and several other players as well.

"Because of their profit-and-loss situation and the money they will lose this season, they are being asked to roll their salaries over to next year. That is not a usual situation."
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Umm what does she mean half a billion under the salary cap Isn’t it around 12 million and you must pay at least 95% ?
    Is that a typo ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Umm what does she mean half a billion under the salary cap Isn’t it around 12 million and you must pay at least 95% ?
    Is that a typo ?
    I think that's a fair assumption.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Is that a typo ?
    Haha, yes obviously a typo, this isn't the NFL! Half a million ($500,000) is what it would be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So apparently Port can't pay their players, which is quite frankly astonishing, but would also suggest that anyone they have on decent money is probably gettable. Anyone worth looking at?

Maybe we could get in Zak Butters ear early and question if he really wants to move interstate to have his cheques bounce.
    Isn't the player payment controlled and funded by the AFL? This was to avoid issues of players not being paid.

The clubs are responsible for the other footy department spend on Coaches, fitness etc as well as club admin.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Isn't the player payment controlled and funded by the AFL? This was to avoid issues of players not being paid.

The clubs are responsible for the other footy department spend on Coaches, fitness etc as well as club admin.
    Maybe the AFL supply the money but it’s up to the club to get its salary cap in order , it wouldn’t be easy you have to look years ahead with long contracts etc.. someone’s got the figures wrong at the club I would say.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

What could we pick off the Port carcass?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What could we pick off the Port carcass?
    They have some really good kids - Butters, Duursma and Rozee are guns, Frampton looks an excellent young ruck (not that we need another developing type), then there's Todd Marshall too.

Karl Amon as our 'plan B' for an outside running wingman is there too.

9. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    They have some really good kids - Butters, Duursma and Rozee are guns, Frampton looks an excellent young ruck (not that we need another developing type), then there's Todd Marshall too.

Karl Amon as our 'plan B' for an outside running wingman is there too.
    While I'd love to have any of the kids you mentioned, is that likely to eventuate? Losing kids doesn't help their financial burdens and the kids aren't the ones being asked to take payments next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    While I'd love to have any of the kids you mentioned, is that likely to eventuate? Losing kids doesn't help their financial burdens and the kids aren't the ones being asked to take payments next year.
    They'll lose Ryder, and I imagine Dixon is still on good coin too but I don't want either.

There were whispers that Wines is gettable, I would think Essendon would be all over him if there was a chance he leaves. SPP to Freo makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

They'll lose Ryder, and I imagine Dixon is still on good coin too but I don't want either.

There were whispers that Wines is gettable, I would think Essendon would be all over him if there was a chance he leaves. SPP to Freo makes sense.
    Hmm Dixon's a good player but Naughton and Schache look a good pairing right now. I agree there. I'd consider Ryder for a year or two but is he in as the number one ruck in that case or as backup/rotating with English? Would he want to move if he's not going to be the number one ruck?

I agree the other two don't seem like the type we should be targeting and will have more interested suitors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Hmm Dixon's a good player but Naughton and Schache look a good pairing right now. I agree there. I'd consider Ryder for a year or two but is he in as the number one ruck in that case or as backup/rotating with English? Would he want to move if he's not going to be the number one ruck?

I agree the other two don't seem like the type we should be targeting and will have more interested suitors.
    I think we've pretty clearly nailed our colours to the Tim English mast so I really doubt we chase a mature 1-2 year ruck.

I would have suggested Sam Gray but with Dickson showing enough form to go another year and Bailey Dale starting to play, our linking with genuine pressure forwards indicates the type of player we'll chase.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see us being interested in any of the bigger name rucks and I can't see them being interested in us when clearly we will only play English. They would have to be content playing VFL and only getting a game when English is injured. That's not good business for either party.

Post Thanks / Like

Robbie Gray 2 years forward pocket. He gets hold of the ball, is going at nearly a goal and a half a match playing midfield, has good forward pressure, is a hard match-up and may be asked to roll his salary over. These are the sort of players who would be considered not their under 25s.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we even want Wines? Is he really any better than Liberatore, or at least so much better that we have to nail ~$700k of cap space to him? (He's not)
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes Testekill liked this post