Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 107 of 141 FirstFirst ... 757979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ryder has nominated Saints, and now looking at trades - but what do they have?
    I can see Jack Steven being a key to their whole trading period. How much will Geelong give up for him? I assume Geelong will use part of whatever they get for Kelly on Steven and then that'll get the ball rolling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Those goal stats are a convenient truth. Billy offers nothing else other than occasionally hitting the scoreboard, which he does with pretty horrid inaccuracy. He doesn’t, for example, lead the league in contested marking.

You usually bemoan a lack of disposals - not sure how you can reconcile that with wanting to persist with a player like Bill.
    The facts speak for themselves, . In the early part of the season his role was clearly to break the packs, which he did reasonably well.

Personally I would have preferred to have him play the role he had last season. My recollection is he was one of the few bright spots in a dismal 2018 (thank goodness the last 4 games salvaged something).

Post Thanks / Like

Slowly building momentum:

Betts nominates Carlton (so Betts, Martin & maybe Papley. A lot of cash and trade currency in three smalls).
    Ellis heading to GCS (good coin)
    Ryder to St Kilda
    Jacobs to GWS

Expected:

Josh Bruce to Dogs > Pick 30 - St Kilda > Zak Jones
    Ah Chee to Brisbane (good offer on the table, and Ah Chee has said he wants out)
    Jack Steven (some media folk think a second or third rounder will do it)
    Bradley Hill (surely it gets done)
    Adam Tomlinson (expected Melbourne get his nomination. Can't keep his wage with Whitfield & Cameron up next year)

Names in the air (off the top of my head):

Alex Keath
    Jamie Elliott
    Sam Frost
    Joe Daniher
    Tim Kelly
    Hugh Greenwood
    Sam Gray
    Dan Butler
    Michael Hartley
    Ed Langdon
    Zac Smith
    Fletcher Roberts

Contracted names mentioned in the press: Dougal Howard, Tom Papley, Crouch Brothers, Darcy Moore
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We should be all over Daniher and trying to either actually recruit him or (more likely) push up the figures that Essendon or Sydney have to cough up for him.

Let's play some 3 dimensional chess!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Stevens:

.. and some trade news: Saint Josh Bruce to Dogs still unofficial, but lock it in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks josie, Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache gets to run his opponents ragged. Up and down the ground. Bail out target further up the ground. Good user kicking forward 50 and pushing into 50 to kick straight. Age 22.
    Bruce gets to bash and crash, be another good long aerial target. Kicks goals consistently too. Age 27.
    Naughton gets the support he needs. Can lead well, mark on the lead, in packs or anywhere. Tidy up his accuracy. Age 20.

Reminds of a better version of Walker, Jenkins & Lynch. Three talls who played different roles and complimented each other really well. Cover the second ruck roles easily enough too.

HF: Schache (24) Bruce (50) Wallis (20)
    F: Lloyd (38) Naughton (32) Dale (21)

(Most goals in a season)

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan joins the fun after his drafting next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes azabob, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Schache gets to run his opponents ragged. Up and down the ground. Bail out target further up the ground. Good user kicking forward 50 and pushing into 50 to kick straight. Age 22.
    Bruce gets to bash and crash, be another good long aerial target. Kicks goals consistently too. Age 27.
    Naughton gets the support he needs. Can lead well, mark on the lead, in packs or anywhere. Tidy up his accuracy. Age 20.

Reminds of a better version of Walker, Jenkins & Lynch. Three talls who played different roles and complimented each other really well. Cover the second ruck roles easily enough too.

(Most goals in a season)

It is a good thing for Bruce too. It will allow him to grow into a leadership role if he wants a role in coaching/development in the future.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Keath has had a couple of BOG in Brownlow

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It is a good thing for Bruce too. It will allow him to grow into a leadership role if he wants a role in coaching/development in the future.
    And the poor guy was at GWS when they were shit, then St Kilda while they’ve been shit. 113 games and he’s never played in a single final. We should be able to fix that up for him.

12. Likes Dry Rot, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Keath has had a couple of BOG in Brownlow
    I'm calling 194cm+ defenders KPDs for this conversation. Keath's 6 votes make him the highest polling KPD this Brownlow medal count. KPDs never poll a lot, but to be the highest voted on KPD is a feather in his cap.

Sicily had two more votes, but at 186cm I don't think he's a KPD. Good defensive player, but not genuine KPD.

Post Thanks / Like

(Most goals in a season)

It’s not about the mechanics of where they sit in the attacking half. It’s not about how mobile Naughton and Schache are either it’s about our ability to defend the ground. The ball can’t exit our forward 50 quickly with the assertive defensive positions we take and having 3 talls is a potential disaster for our team defence. It especially can’t exit quickly up the corridor or via a switch before we have a chance to close exits.

I think we should still get him because it gives us depth in a crucial area but unless we change our defensive method or get some serious leg speed around them I don’t see us being able to play 3 talls.

15. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    It’s not about the mechanics of where they sit in the attacking half. It’s not about how mobile Naughton and Schache are either it’s about our ability to defend the ground. The ball can’t exit our forward 50 quickly with the assertive defensive positions we take and having 3 talls is a potential disaster for our team defence. It especially can’t exit quickly up the corridor or via a switch before we have a chance to close exits.

I think we should still get him because it gives us depth in a crucial area but unless we change our defensive method or get some serious leg speed around them I don’t see us being able to play 3 talls.
    I think all 3 can play in the same side, and will be playing differing roles so not all will be inside 50 together but I agree that the ball will pinball out of our 50 if our smaller types are Lloyd, Dale & Wallis. Not a lot of speed or tackling ability in that lot. Fingers crossed we snag a speedy small forward via the draft or Cavarra explodes over the summer as he is really the only one on the list that fits the bill.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm calling 194cm+ defenders KPDs for this conversation. Keath's 6 votes make him the highest polling KPD this Brownlow medal count. KPDs never poll a lot, but to be the highest voted on KPD is a feather in his cap.

Sicily had two more votes, but at 186cm I don't think he's a KPD. Good defensive player, but not genuine KPD.
    Naughton says hello with 7 votes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think all 3 can play in the same side, and will be playing differing roles so not all will be inside 50 together but I agree that the ball will pinball out of our 50 if our smaller types are Lloyd, Dale & Wallis. Not a lot of speed or tackling ability in that lot. Fingers crossed we snag a speedy small forward via the draft or Cavarra explodes over the summer as he is really the only one on the list that fits the bill.
    Agree comrade. I'm hoping for a player with high tackle numbers inside 50. Be it a more expensive Jamie Elliot type, or cheaper Lchln Murphy type. All three can ply together with the right mix around them. The last piece of the puzzle to find.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree comrade. I'm hoping for a player with high tackle numbers inside 50. Be it a more expensive Jamie Elliot type, or cheaper Lchln Murphy type. All three can ply together with the right mix around them. The last piece of the puzzle to find.
    West is also another option - I’d be training him in the forwards group all summer. Let him do his apprenticeship there and then he can transition into mid.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.