Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 8 of 141 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

From RSN this morning:

"I hadn't heard anything about it. I hadn't even thought about ringing my manager about it. It's rumour and innuendo. I'm happy at Hawthorn."

Isaac Smith on the rumour linking him with the Dogs
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Was discussed quite a bit on SEN last night.
    They did note that Smith started his AFL career late (22) so likely has a few years left. I don't mind it if it's a cheap trade a la Mitchell or Lewis (Hodge was a DFA post-retirements wasn't he?)

We are already young enough and knowing our trade history we're likely to miss out on a few targets. Interesting we've gone public so early and that nether of our targets are talls.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If Smith was pick 50-70 like Lewis & Mitchell, and it’s really just salary. Then I’m in.

Martin seems flashy, but doesn’t score a lot (4.10 this year, 10 games). I’d like some more goal scoring power.
    Yes my sentiments exactly re: Smith. Martin's best footy is still in front of him yet I'm 50/50 on him. Has got the x factor though.

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    From RSN this morning:
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good yarn Isaac. It seems like silly season has started early.

We'll be linked to everyone now that we have this "war chest" from losing Boyd and his contract, which was also very heavily front loaded. Football media are an absolute joke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Was discussed quite a bit on SEN last night.
    They did note that Smith started his AFL career late (22) so likely has a few years left. I don't mind it if it's a cheap trade a la Mitchell or Lewis (Hodge was a DFA post-retirements wasn't he?)

We are already young enough and knowing our trade history we're likely to miss out on a few targets. Interesting we've gone public so early and that nether of our targets are talls.
    Did we?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Did we?
    Yes, as per the SEN discussion last night.

The point was made that every club has a 'hit list' but we're the first to be open about it his year.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, as per the SEN discussion last night.

The point was made that every club has a 'hit list' but we're the first to be open about it his year.
    So we came out to the press and said we are targeting Smith and Martin? Or, did Maclure sniff around and someone leaked it, or Maclure made it up

I would say my second scenario.

9. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So we came out to the press and said we are targeting Smith and Martin? Or, did Maclure sniff around and someone leaked it, or Maclure made it up

Ok you can believe that.
    From the sound of the discussion the 'Bulldogs being open about their targets' sounded a little different from just a leak.

Back on track, given it sounds like we're considering a second wing player (to partner Hunter) if we don't get Smith there are three names we should ask the question about:

- Ed Langdon, although he's been linked to most Vic clubs this trade period
    - Karl Amon who tried to come back to Vic last year. Sleight but provides outside run
    - Rory Atkins, who we've been linked with before and may be gettable.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think any of them make stories up, their sources however? Social media is littered with made up stories and innuendo. It' sad that you can call yourself a journalist and rely on social media to supply the content you write about.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if we'd inquire about Jake Carlisle? Contract clause means he may have to rush back this year, might be worth planting the seed
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Back on track, given it sounds like we're considering a second wing player (to partner Hunter) if we don't get Smith there are three names we should ask the question about:

- Ed Langdon, although he's been linked to most Vic clubs this trade period
    - Karl Amon who tried to come back to Vic last year. Sleight but provides outside run
    - Rory Atkins, who we've been linked with before and may be gettable.
    I'd rather get a 31yo Isaac Smith than any of the younger ball butchers listed above. He's a proven elite quality who could easily have 4 (maybe even 5) years left.

If the trade price is not onerous (and it shouldn't be), happy to bring in more proven talent to the club.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'd rather get a 31yo Isaac Smith than any of the younger ball butchers listed above. He's a proven elite quality who could easily have 4 (maybe even 5) years left.

If the trade price is not onerous (and it shouldn't be), happy to bring in more proven talent to the club.
    Jordan Mitchell, 57, 68 - for - 48, 66 (Jordan Mitchell essentially a 10 pick downgrade)

We have the Hawks 3rd (around pick 47), Hawks have our fourth (around pick 60). If we handed each other our original picks back and swap 5th rounders that's nearly identical to the Lewis trade. --

Smith, 60, 84 - for - 47, 78 (traded at age 30 maybe, leadership group) (slightly better trade)
    -
    Lewis, 57, 68 - for - 48, 66 (traded at age 30, leadership group)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

If he does come in then it has to be a salary dump and we give Hawthorn pick 70 odd
    Considering he started later I’ve changed opinion . Decent kick as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    If he does come in then it has to be a salary dump and we give Hawthorn pick 70 odd
    Considering he started later I’ve changed opinion . Decent kick as well
    Good point re the salary dump. Hawks would probably only go for it if they were picking up yet another big name, eg Coniglio.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Good point re the salary dump. Hawks would probably only go for it if they were picking up yet another big name, eg Coniglio.
    See that's just the problem with this club. We once again get another old man with two years left in his legs and it will be made to be a great deal for the dogs (pick whatever) yet once again Hawthorn pick up a genuine superstar nearing his prime while we release them of further financial burdens. It sucks. Smith is a good player but he won't play in a our premiership. He relies on pace and that's the first thing that will go as he nears the edge over the next 2 years.

Wish we could offload and replace our tyres like the Hawks seem to do. It's always fringe types or old men for us.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

19. Likes DOG GOD, hujsh, bornadog liked this post