Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 99 of 141 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Interesting rumours that we are interested in Lachie Fogarty from Geelong.

Makes perfect sense to me, he was a tackling machine as a junior and is a Jets boy, played for Spotwood as a junior IIRC. 180cm, could really fill a pressure forward role for us or play a run-with role at a pinch too.
    Gryan Miers is ahead of him as well and of course they have Dahlhaus

Agreed, it makes sense
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    The four years is a risk. I absolutely hate paying overs for players - but if he is touted as a 550 a year player, 600 is a standard moving tax.
    $600k won't be a great deal for an AFL player in 3 to 4 years the way their salary goes up so all good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    $600k won't be a great deal for an AFL player in 3 to 4 years the way their salary goes up so all good.
    Agree with you on that. Did some thinking on this and it actually isn’t a bad idea if we need to burn cap space to front load contract and pay him peanuts for his back 2 years when we’re re signing all the kids.

The main risk I see is the message it sends to the other boys - Dunks, Caleb etc who signed in this year I’m guessing for much less a year who have played the same no. of years of footy

Post Thanks / Like

Read a couple of times as well as hearing on SEN that we are very keen on Dougal Howard of Port. I have seen him play some good games and he seems the goods as well as being only 23 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Read a couple of times as well as hearing on SEN that we are very keen on Dougal Howard of Port. I have seen him play some good games and he seems the goods as well as being only 23 years old.
    A piece on Howard.

199cm swingman Howard was reportedly garnered interest from a number of Victorian clubs including the Western Bulldogs.

He had something of a strange season – spending time in the SANFL, and finishing the season there, but actually captaining the club at one point when others were injured.

Howard has another three years remaining on his contract and Port will be reluctant to let him go, so it may come down to whether or not a club can offer the Power an appealing deal.

I would say their best result would be to keep him, but if there is a team out there willing to put a pick in the top 25 on the table for him, that may be worth making the deal.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/09/0...or-five-years/

6. Thanks Mofra, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Howard. He's touted as a swingman but I think his best football comes as a defensive version of Schache; he's very clean and he has good skills. Wouldn't be opposed.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Possibly, but what has he actually *done* in his two years in the AFL to pique any interest? I've been pretty unimpressed with what I've seen and don't see the upside to warrant the chase.
    What do you mean by his lack of size and athleticism though? And what do you expect from a just turned 20 year old playing for one of the top 4 clubs over the past few years? You've gone pretty hard pretty early on him and I'm interested in your position because he is well built for a 20 year old and while not quick appears to be able to create separation on his opponents from all the footage I've seen of him.

I watch Geelong players closely as I had an affiliation with the club many years ago and he's a hard player with decent disposal, decent speed and is a good mark for his size.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

9. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    What do you mean by his lack of size and athleticism though? And what do you expect from a just turned 20 year old playing for one of the top 4 clubs over the past few years? You've gone pretty hard pretty early on him and I'm interested in your position because he is well built for a 20 year old and while not quick appears to be able to create separation on his opponents from all the footage I've seen of him.

I watch Geelong players closely as I had an affiliation with the club many years ago and he's a hard player with decent disposal, decent speed and is a good mark for his size.
    We tend to target players with a specific role in mind, given his tackle numbers are quite high I expect any role we have for him will utilise that aspect of his game.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

I just don't see it, and what I've said reflects what I've seen out of him in AFL games. The comparison was made earlier in the thread to Rhylee West but there's nothing to suggest that Fogarty has dominated the lower levels or shown the flashes in the top tier that West has (at a year younger) to warrant us going out of our way to pursue him. Plus the cost of what it would likely take to get him is more than I'd want to pay.

It's just my opinion on it and I'm happy to be proven wrong but it seems like a waste of time. If we're going for a pressure forward I'd look elsewhere than a slight player who isn't quick.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

On small forwards, Lachlan Murphy (20yo) still hasn't re-signed at Adelaide yet. Originally from Diamond Creek / Northern Knights. Maybe a package deal with Keath.

2019: 21 games, 19 goals, 15 behinds, 13 goal assists, averaging about 11 touches, 3 marks, 2.4 I50's, 3.2 tackles
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    On small forwards, Lachlan Murphy (20yo) still hasn't re-signed at Adelaide yet. Originally from Diamond Creek / Northern Knights. Maybe a package deal with Keath.

2019: 21 games, 19 goals, 15 behinds, 13 goal assists, averaging about 11 touches, 3 marks, 2.4 I50's, 3.2 tackles
    They have so many small forwards on their list (I really don't understand why they added another three last trade period) that they are probably more than happy to let him go. McHenry, Stengle, and McAdam are all still waiting in the wings.

Post Thanks / Like

Have see a rumour that the Hawks are into Keath.

If Keath ends up at the Hawks, we don't just have a problem attracting indigenous trades but a bigger problem attracting anyone.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Have see a rumour that the Hawks are into Keath.

If Keath ends up at the Hawks, we don't just have a problem attracting indigenous trades but a bigger problem attracting anyone.
    I mentioned a while back that we could do a North and have a lot of cash to splash around but struggle to get the players we want
    A couple of big names would be great but if it doesn't happen that way we have shown an ability to get very effective lower profiled but productive players to the club
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Who wouldn't want to play with Bont, Naughton & co and make big $$$ while doing it? It feels like we need to have sustained success to attract real talent from other clubs - it's only fringe players looking for more opportunity that are willing to take a punt on us.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I just don't see it, and what I've said reflects what I've seen out of him in AFL games. The comparison was made earlier in the thread to Rhylee West but there's nothing to suggest that Fogarty has dominated the lower levels or shown the flashes in the top tier that West has (at a year younger) to warrant us going out of our way to pursue him. Plus the cost of what it would likely take to get him is more than I'd want to pay.

It's just my opinion on it and I'm happy to be proven wrong but it seems like a waste of time. If we're going for a pressure forward I'd look elsewhere than a slight player who isn't quick.
    Well Footscray need midfielders too you know.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.