Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 95 of 141 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If we are to trade for Bruce how confident are we that 3 tall forwards will work for us?

I know there is a belief that Bruce will support in the ruck as well but from what I have seen I don't think he's as good as say Cordy in that area.

I also think Cordy could have been a decent option as a 3rd tall forward if we really wanted to go down that road

I like the idea of recruiting Bruce but it does pose some challenges.
    It can work but we need to be realistic and go in thinking that one of them will have to play elsewhere on the ground. We know Bruce and Naughton can play down back if required, but I'm not convinced on Schache. I've toyed with the idea of him on a wing, but not sure that having him there wouldn't badly expose us defensively.

It's pretty weird that having too many options could force us into demanding more versatility from our players (almost like someone is doing it on purpose).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nick Robertson from Brisbane might be worth having a look at
    He's got the call up today but has been squeezed out by Robinson this year.

He'd be a decent option to run with or tag opposition players
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Nick Robertson from Brisbane might be worth having a look at
    He's got the call up today but has been squeezed out by Robinson this year.

He'd be a decent option to run with or tag opposition players
    If I know Nick Robertson at all he will probably have a 10-12 week suspension to serve after today, so we might need to take that into consideration first.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If I know Nick Robertson at all he will probably have a 10-12 week suspension to serve after today, so we might need to take that into consideration first.
    I know Nick pretty well.

He is a heart and soul player who will make his team-mates better simply through his 100mph approach on the training track. I cannot imagine Brisbane would let him go. He might never be in the 'best' 22 but he would be a beloved figure.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Even more reason to bring him in. Especially if it's Toby Greene or Phil Davis on the other end of it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Even more reason to bring him in. Especially if it's Toby Greene or Phil Davis on the other end of it.
    That's good enough for me
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else think that while our trade targets are all good footballers they all aren't necessarily perfect fits for us?

Alex Keath for example best attributes are as an intercept defender where I thought a player better known for their one on one skills might be a better fit. Lewis Young and Wood are already good intercept defenders, Keath will also cost a bit to pry him Adelaide both financially and with a draft pick

Josh Bruce is a proven goal kicker but we already have Naughton and Schache as key forwards and I think there is a question mark on if we can squeeze 3 tall forward into the line-up. Like Keath, we are going to have to give up something decent to secure him from the Saints. I'd say it's almost a lock though that he comes to us

Other names we have been linked to might fit us a bit better but in most instances not a perfect fit

Isaac Smith is experienced, durable, fast and is very capable of getting 20 plus possessions, he would be acquired cheaply I think

Dougal Howard is versatile and has been squeezed out of senior games at Port. His best football is in front of him but how good is he really. I'd imagine Port would want something decent in exchange for his services

Darcy Moore is an injury prone key defender or forward that would cost us a fortune to acquire

Zac Smith is a very tall ruck man who would provide insurance for Tim English. It's a shame he's not more versatile. Would cost us next to nothing

Other players being mentioned although not necessarily with us include
    Sam Powell-Pepper a young bull midfielder
    Ben McKay - a versatile key forward or defender
    Charlie Constable a big bodied midfielder who will probably land at the Saints if Geelong get Jack Steven
    Harley Bennell who has played just 2 games in 4 years but appears to be headed to the Swans
    Sam Frost has been pushed down the order at Melbourne. A KPD who should find a home somewhere

11. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair points G
    Wonder what Keath’s one on one stats are like ?
    Smith would be a good pick up ( Issac) started late and is durable

Post Thanks / Like

We must trade for players we need, not just a good player.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We must trade for players we need, not just a good player.
    Who do you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Who do you recommend?
    I still think Keath would work for us, he is a big strong lad and would help the backline. I am unsure on Bruce and how it would work with Naughton and Schache in the forward line.

A small goal sneak would be nice, but who is available, or gettable?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We were a slight ligament twist away from losing our blue chip KPF prospect - I'd say Bruce is a perfect fit for us.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We were a slight ligament twist away from losing our blue chip KPF prospect - I'd say Bruce is a perfect fit for us.
    I wouldn't say no, that is for sure.

If we missed Keath and got Bruce, we could switch Naughton back again.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we need depth in a few positions badly

Key defender, No doubt about it.
    We will probably land Keath or someone else and while I'm hopeful it will work out do we need another one who's best football is as an intercept defender?

Key Forward Yes probably.
    We don't have the depth at Footscray. Gardiner is a bit's and pieces player but other than that we would need to cover an injury to a key tall by going with a smaller line-up
    I'd say we are likely to get Bruce but again he's not exactly what we need. The big upside is that he can kick goals

Midfield depth - Yes, very likely
    Our midfield was awesome this year but we lacked depth with the injuries to Liberatore and Wallis. We need to find another player or two so we aren't exposed in 2020

Ruck - Yes
    We rolled the dice this year by not having enough depth in the rucks. Fortunately English remained healthy and Trengove jumped in when needed. We can't take that chance again next year because I don't think Sweet is anywhere near ready yet. Ideally we need a more versatile player who can fill in a couple of other positions.

Experience - So many people flag our lack of experience with games played etc after losses that we can't just ignore a player like Isaac Smith if he were available

20. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to replace Tom Boyd (& Redpath, Cloke)
    Need to replace Morris, Collins, Adams, Roberts as depth in numbers for tall defenders and Naughton staying forward.

Keath & Bruce seem as good as any out there currently to replace what we have lost. Both in form make our best 22. The list is better for them.

I'd like to see if pick 12 could shake out a good small forward and classy ball user. A late pick on a Zak Smith type or entertaining Isaac Smith isn't a bad thing. I'm ok with things as they stand.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023