Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 48 of 141 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    And players can request a trade. You seem to be jumping on the all homesick trade requests are just money grabs BS that the media sells.

Quite a few just simply want to go home, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    That's fine, they can do what they want.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I would certainly welcome Florent. He would be an ideal acquisition but I won't get my hopes up.

My take is that we clearly want a quick outside mid (or two) to complement our superb inside artillery. We have been linked with Smith, Hill, Martin and now Florent. I'd say we aren't putting all our eggs in one basket. That may be because the costs associated with Smith, Hill and Martin could be more than we are willing to spend or they are committed elsewhere etc. So we widen the search. I expect more names we didn't see coming to be linked with us before too long and possibly in positions we may not expect.
    Yep, fair call. I imagine we trade for one of them and look at an experienced tall too. We have tall kids who look promising but they're raw.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yep, fair call. I imagine we trade for one of them and look at an experienced tall too. We have tall kids who look promising but they're raw.
    Exciting to think we can actually do this. Lets hope we get who we want.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I don't mind Florent, I would be keener on Papley if given the option between the two of them. Both contracted until the end of next year and maybe Sydney will have to prioritise one or the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Three years ago
    That's some of the harshest and most stupid statements that I've read on WOOF. I can't believe someone would say that.

I lost my dad a couple of years ago and my family isn't over it. I ended up moving in with my mum because she wasn't handling it so well. What would I have done the night she had a fall and rang me at 4am if I were living interstate? I felt bad enough that I was living in the next suburb.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Thanks azabob, bulldogtragic, chef, jazzadogs, Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm secretly soooooo hoping we can grab Jack Martin..........and further to that discussion......... What a stinking disaster Gold Coast Suns are.

I would hate to be drafted to play for such a non entity.

The Jumper is so appalling it doesn't even count. It's not even an idea. What even colours are they?

Their away jumper is blue and white.........Their home jumper is red and yellow. What the??????????/

Post Thanks / Like

Big yes for Florent. The kid has plenty of skill and pretty quick too.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's some of the harshest and most stupid statements that I've read on WOOF. I can't believe someone would say that.

I lost my dad a couple of years ago and my family isn't over it. I ended up moving in with my mum because she wasn't handling it so well. What would I have done the night she had a fall and rang me at 4am if I were living interstate? I felt bad enough that I was living in the next suburb.
    Maybe check the facts first.

He chose to leave after his father died. He had a choice and made it.

Now three years later, he wants to come home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No they don't they just have inconsistent players. They have no true bull in there at all. Ross is played outside because of his skills, Billings likewise, Lonie plays predominantly forward now and Gresham is explosive and powerful but the try to go to him outside as well because of his power and pace. Hannebury is old an slow and not a first choice inside midfielder. Geary has been forced to play inside but he's undersized. Players like Steele are more suited to defensive tags.

Overall their midfield actually appears undersized. They have no Ollie Wines, Dunkley, Powell-Pepper, Kennedy bulls so their players are forced to play in and out.

They desperately need someone who can compete at stoppages. They get smashed there most weeks.
    agree .
    Port have Ollie , pepper, boak, ebert and gray to all fairly strong and/or big boddied

Saints midfield is undersize , lacks any class and grunt .

They have Dunstan who played his 100th game recently big bodied but does not it seem damaging
    What’s killed them is their first round picks have not kicked on and become elite
    Acres, Seb ross are injury prone . They loss kob Stevens and cripps went to wc , newnes is done , Stevens wants to go to geelong

If hannebury is best big fish they can catch then they are truly desperate .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Big yes for Florent. The kid has plenty of skill and pretty quick too.
    Reckon we were heavily linked to him prior to his draft year too.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe check the facts first.

He chose to leave after his father died. He had a choice and made it.
    I think you are overlooking that for some there are more important things in life than footy.

I don’t have an issue with a player putting family first and I don’t have an issue with players looking for a trade that allows them to put family first but keep playing AFL. Why shouldn’t they be able to pursue a move that brings them closer to home, in the same way that someone might seek a transfer or a new job within their industry for the same (or other) reasons?

I understand that it is easy to view players as moving pieces and numbers on a roster, but that is a cold way to look at it and I think a few of your comments lack compassion and empathy.

Post Thanks / Like

I get a bit uncomfortable with players wanting to move home for personal reasons and then nominating a club or two they only want their incumbent club to deal with to get a deal done.

That's asking for a bit much and can be seen to be disingenuous, but others view it differently.

If we could get him it would be great. As you may have picked up I'm over improving the list in any possible way at the right price.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes bornadog, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I think you are overlooking that for some there are more important things in life than footy.

I don’t have an issue with a player putting family first and I don’t have an issue with players looking for a trade that allows them to put family first but keep playing AFL. Why shouldn’t they be able to pursue a move that brings them closer to home, in the same way that someone might seek a transfer or a new job within their industry for the same (or other) reasons?

I understand that it is easy to view players as moving pieces and numbers on a roster, but that is a cold way to look at it and I think a few of your comments lack compassion and empathy.
    Did you follow the whole discussion?

My point was players use the excuse of go home factor when the majority actually just want to play for another club. If that is so, just say so. Adams is a good example. He said he wanted to go back to WA due to his brother, but ends up in Brisbane.

As for Twodogs calling my post stupid, well the fact is Ollie lost his father in 2016, but still wanted to play AFL and went to Sydney where he has been for over three years. His wanting to return has nothing to do about losing a father while he is interstate? When we lost Hamling due to his father's illness, it seemingly on WOOF was all the fault of the club that we couldn't keep him.

If players want to come home, they of course have every right to and agree there are other things in life besides football.

It is a national comp, and you could be drafted anywhere, so you just have to suck it up if you want to play AFL.

That is all, no big deal.

16. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I get a bit uncomfortable with players wanting to move home for personal reasons and then nominating a club or two they only want their incumbent club to deal with to get a deal done.

That's asking for a bit much and can be seen to be disingenuous, but others view it differently.

If we could get him it would be great. As you may have picked up I'm over improving the list in any possible way at the right price.
    You always put it in words far better than me.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you follow the whole discussion?

My point was players use the excuse of go home factor when the majority actually just want to play for another club. If that is so, just say so. Adams is a good example. He said he wanted to go back to WA due to his brother, but ends up in Brisbane.

As for Twodogs calling my post stupid, well the fact is Ollie lost his father in 2016, but still wanted to play AFL and went to Sydney where he has been for over three years. His wanting to return has nothing to do about losing a father while he is interstate? When we lost Hamling due to his father's illness, it seemingly on WOOF was all the fault of the club that we couldn't keep him.

If players want to come home, they of course have every right to and agree there are other things in life besides football.

It is a national comp, and you could be drafted anywhere, so you just have to suck it up if you want to play AFL.

That is all, no big deal.
    The thing is, you don’t know Ollie personally and you don’t know how the passing of his father has impacted him.

Your earlier comments were dismissive of the suggestion that it could still be a driver of him wanting to go home to be closer to family (which I think is a completely feasible assertion) because he died a few years ago and not when he was already interstate. Should there be some sort of expiry date to his grief?

Does it only count to be homesick or wanting to get closer to family if a death of a family member happens when you are already away?

Maybe he was able to find the mental strength and resilience to leave for three years to keep his dream alive, but now (given the possibility, maybe through interest shown by another club) his preference is to get home?

19. Likes Topdog, azabob, Mofra liked this post