Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 97 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Fair points G
    Wonder what Keath’s one on one stats are like ?
    Taken from BF:

Maybe this has been said before, but here's some interesting things I didn't know when researching Alex Keath.

1. Possible upside - Only started playing footy again in 2016 round 5 after putting all his efforts into a cricket career. So he's really only a 4th year player

2. Possible leader - Co captain of the SANFL side in 2017

3. Determined person - Look at his inside football profile in his first 5 AFL games of his career. Here's some of the comments

"Debutant had some trouble with Harry Taylor but did win some one-on-ones late in the game."
    "Responded well in the second half after Darcy Moore had control of him in the first."
    "Kept his place in the side and recovered well after conceding the first goal of the match to Justin Westhoff."
    "Given a lesson by Lance Franklin early, didn’t lower his head and played out the game reasonably well."

Seems like a bit of a pattern here, started poorly yet did not drop his head. It also seems he didn't want to give up on cricket, but had to after not getting a first class contract. Does come across as a very determined person with a kind of resilience to him. That's good.

4. 2019 was a really, really good year for him - Maybe it comes as no surprise to others, but I had no idea he was this good (but I haven't been watching much AFL this year). This is from snippets out of a newspaper article

Of all key-defenders, the 197cm Keath, who won a Showdown medal in his 20th career game, ranks first for contested possessions (7), fourth for intercept possessions (8.3) and fifth for disposals (16.3), rating elite in all three categories.

On average, only Jeremy McGovern, Dane Rampe, Phil Davis, Sam Frost and Aliir Aliir won more possession from an opposition disposal than Keath in 2019.

And, despite missing four matches with a leg injury, Keath’s 49 intercept marks was nine more than any Crow.

His ability to read the play, leave his man and dominate in the air is obvious but Keath also proved he is a terrific one-on-one defender.

Of the top-25 players in the competition for total defensive one-on-ones contested, Keath’s loss percentage of 22.4 is the 10th-best.

In the first 17 matches of the year, Adelaide conceded 9.9 marks inside-50 per game — the fourth-best number in the competition.

But with Keath missing between Rounds 19-22, the opposition took full advantage, with Carlton (16), St Kilda (9), West Coast (14) and Collingwood (19) recording 58 between them in four weeks

And his 2019 numbers stack up against former Crow Jake Lever in his last year at West Lakes.

Alex is quality and I really hope we get him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Thanks hujsh, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, Topdog, Remi Moses, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gut feel is he stays a Crow
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Adelaide 2 years at about $500,000
    Dogs 4 years at about $600,000

My head says he becomes a dog
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How come?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    How come?
    I bet alot of the players will end up staying waiting for a new coach.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Adelaide 2 years at about $500,000
    Dogs 4 years at about $600,000

My head says he becomes a dog
    Didn’t know the crows had $500k on the table. That makes 600k more palatable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Didn’t know the crows had $500k on the table. That makes 600k more palatable
    That's taken from Mitch Cleary who was saying the years, not dollars is the problem they can't seem to get around with the crows list manager. Cleary also estimated his market worth is around, or up to, $550,000 if he was in fact up for trade after the year he has had. I read the last report on our offer again, it says it was 'close to $600,000 a season'. So it seems to stack up alright on dollars. Four years is the big differentiator if his manager shopping him around, and it seems that we've offered that extra two years from the Hun report.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That's taken from Mitch Cleary who was saying the years, not dollars is the problem they can't seem to get around with the crows list manager. Cleary also estimated his market worth is around, or up to, $550,000 if he was in fact up for trade after the year he has had. I read the last report on our offer again, it says it was 'close to $600,000 a season'. So it seems to stack up alright on dollars. Four years is the big differentiator if his manager shopping him around, and it seems that we've offered that extra two years from the Hun report.
    The four years is a risk. I absolutely hate paying overs for players - but if he is touted as a 550 a year player, 600 is a standard moving tax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    The four years is a risk. I absolutely hate paying overs for players - but if he is touted as a 550 a year player, 600 is a standard moving tax.
    He'd stay if the Crows offered 4 years, which they won't as they have been burnt on deals post age 30 for Jenkins, Betts and Gibbs.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

$600k is a good deal to be honest. Keath plays a very in vogue position and even if he sucks $600k isn’t such an albatross that you can’t work around it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

If we continue to struggle to find/attract indigenous talent that suits our needs, could we look instead to indigenous coaches/support roles?

Mark ‘Choco’ Williams is one that is highly regarded (especially in a player development capacity) and Daniel Wells has just retired and seemingly fits the good bloke requirements. Williams is currently coaching at Werribee.

Are we putting the ‘horse before the cart’ a little? I don’t know much about our indigenous program, except that Brett Goodes was doing something at some point but then went elsewhere to continue some role. Or something.

Do we completely beef it up, rather than clutch at straws if there are no players available. It sounds like JUH is well worth the investment and it may help to improve our overall pull. You can bet your life on it that Hawthorn/Carlton/Essendon/etc will be counting down JUH 2 year deal and waiting to pounce with the promise of more indigenous support etc. We’ve got to improve our standing.

15. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    If we continue to struggle to find/attract indigenous talent that suits our needs, could we look instead to indigenous coaches/support roles?

Mark ‘Choco’ Williams is one that is highly regarded (especially in a player development capacity) and Daniel Wells has just retired and seemingly fits the good bloke requirements. Williams is currently coaching at Werribee.

Are we putting the ‘horse before the cart’ a little? I don’t know much about our indigenous program, except that Brett Goodes was doing something at some point but then went elsewhere to continue some role. Or something.

Do we completely beef it up, rather than clutch at straws if there are no players available. It sounds like JUH is well worth the investment and it may help to improve our overall pull. You can bet your life on it that Hawthorn/Carlton/Essendon/etc will be counting down JUH 2 year deal and waiting to pounce with the promise of more indigenous support etc. We’ve got to improve our standing.
    Are you sure Mark Williams is indigenous - I'm fairly sure he isn't.

There's an article from last year that talks about the lack of indigenous coaches and mentions those that are invlolved at AFL and lower levels:

Indigenous players climb steps to coach's box

WHAT'S BEING DONE?

The AFL considered the situation concerning enough to employ Port Adelaide's 2004 premiership coach Mark Williams as a consultant, after his stint at Richmond ended 21 months ago.

Williams, of Afro-Caribbean descent, looked into indigenous, multicultural and women's coaching pathways in American basketball, baseball and football, as well as the English Premier League, then wrote a proposal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

There's an article here that talks about the lack of indigenous coaches and mentions those that are invlolved at AFL and lower levels:

Following on.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...716d8cd455a489

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

There's an article here that talks about the lack of indigenous coaches and mentions those that are invlolved at AFL and lower levels:

Actually, I think you are right. I think I remember reading that he has African-Caribbean lineage. He has always been synonymous with Indigenous players though because he always aggressively recruited and seemed to coach teams with higher numbers than most.
    He was a bad example though, but is it worth looking at (I have just read your article) coaches such as the ones listed? Burgoyne would b e a great fit but is seemingly a few years off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Actually, I think you are right. I think I remember reading that he has African-Caribbean lineage. He has always been synonymous with Indigenous players though because he always aggressively recruited and seemed to coach teams with higher numbers than most.
    He was a bad example though, but is it worth looking at (I have just read your article) coaches such as the ones listed? Burgoyne would b e a great fit but is seemingly a few years off.
    Although he isn't indigenous himself he certainly seems to have a great relationship with many indigenous players and a good understanding of the challenges they can face in the AFL environment through some of his past roles (such as mentioned in the above article). He appears well qualified to play a role in this space.