Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 84 of 141 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394134 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I tend to agree with you, think I'm still in shock after yesterday, and certainly don't want any knee jerk reactions or deviations from long term strategy. However I still think it's a reasonable question to ask as we appear to be targeting everything but tough mids and it was exposed yesterday. Bont, Macrae, Dunks are reasonably experienced.
    Prior to yesterday we seemed to have it covered but even after yesterdays loss I'm not sure our approach will change but I take on board your view that we need more midfield depth with an emphasis on tough players
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's unlikely but after yesterday do we at all reassess list need? Considering the midfield capitulation should we be looking to bring in another Taylor Adams type? (hard built for finals) . I've always liked Ainsworth from Suns, and unfortunately I doubt Libba will ever return to his 2016 form.That was a real shock to me how meekly they surrendered under real pressure yesterday.
    If fit, would Libba & Wallis, maybe Caleb Daniel, be hard built for finals? I'd assume they all play if fit. If they all do play, what happens to this potential new player?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

If we can only get 2 of Martin, Keath and Bruce who do we take?

For mine it's Keath and Bruce. Martin seems a luxury/cream type player who I hope we can get too but I think KPF and KPD is more important for us at this stage. I.Smith for cheap may be the smarter move.
    The curse is dead.

5. Likes Grantysghost, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If fit, would Libba & Wallis, maybe Caleb Daniel, be hard built for finals? I'd assume they all play if fit. If they all do play, what happens to this potential new player?
    Libba a couple of seasons ago definitely, is he the same player now? I'm not sure he can return to his halcyon days unfortunately but yes he is certainly the one guy with the right mental attitude for the job
    I see your point from a list perspective (how dare you tease out an emotional argument based on anger!).
    If all those mentioned are fit it would be form dependant.

7. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    If we can only get 2 of Martin, Keath and Bruce who do we take?

For mine it's Keath and Bruce. Martin seems a luxury/cream type player who I hope we can get too but I think KPF and KPD is more important for us at this stage. I.Smith for cheap may be the smarter move.
    There is merit in what you say but can we really make 3 tall forward options work? How do we actually gauge the value of Keath after just one very good season? If we are to set-up a meaningful indigenous programme wouldn't Martin be the almost perfect first piece?
    It's a lot of questions for me at the moment

9. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we need all 3.

Keath is an upgrade on Cordy in ability, not necessarily hardness, but definitely marking and chopping out ability.
    Bruce is a guy that takes no prisoners, and his hardness is definitely what we need up fwd. I’m still not convinced on the physicality of Schache, and Bruce being able to go into the ruck is an added bonus.
    Martin could be the cream for our premiership cake. Pace is definitely required in our fwd 50. He has good skills and I think he will thrive in a winning environment on and off the field.

All 3 are required.
    Smith is definitely better than the bottom 6-7 on our list and would take him if the most we have to give up is pick 50+
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

We need a bull in a china shop midfielder.

So here's a left field suggestion - should we be looking at a Ollie Wines or Sam Pepper Powell style of trade?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

So here's a left field suggestion - should we be looking at a Ollie Wines or Sam Pepper Powell style of trade?
    Let’s not overreact, neither of those two would have been much chop yesterday. Both Libba and Wallis can provide grunt and brute force, no need to burn trade assets and salary cap.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee overreaction central on here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gee overreaction central on here
    Are you sure your response isn't a a slight overreaction?

On balance after such a loss I'd say the vast majority of responses have been very fair. Throwing up same names by casting a wide net in a proactive poaching thread seems reasonable to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

Wines is a gun footballer and I can't see him leaving Port. SPP is an interesting suggestion but his kicking skills have deteriorated and as Comrade pointed out both Libba and Wallis are more than reasonable options anyway.

What we probably need to do is to draft develop one of our own to have that harder edge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Wines is a gun footballer and I can't see him leaving Port. SPP is an interesting suggestion but his kicking skills have deteriorated and as Comrade pointed out both Libba and Wallis are more than reasonable options anyway.

What we probably need to do is to draft develop one of our own to have that harder edge.
    Nick Steven is one of NGA prospects for next year. 190cm+, bit of a bull.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Nick Steven is one of NGA prospects for next year. 190cm+, bit of a bull.
    Yep, I think most years in the draft you can find players who have that hard edge.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I think most years in the draft you can find players who have that hard edge.
    With Dunks, Bont, Macrae, Libba and Wallis on the list, I think we’re ok with inside grunt. Yesterday was just a bad day collectively for our mid group. I think English’s lack of strength at ground level was a factor, Mummy just crashed and bashed which helped their mids out big time. Timmy needs another huge preseason filled with steak, protein shakes and deadlifts.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds promising. I think Smith will also be quite a strong player after a few seasons.

21. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post