Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 1 of 141 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Proactive Poaching

I know that clubs are not supposed to be talking to players from other teams but it is no secret that they still do.

A few years ago I was mystified why no one (especially Victorian teams) had targeted Tom Doedee. He was killing it at SANFL level but couldn’t crack even a single game with the Crows who had a solid defensive unit at the time (the likes of Lever, Talia, Smith, etc.). He was in the last year of his contract in 2017 (drafted in 2015) and is Victorian. It wasn’t until after the Crows realised they were losing Lever that they came to him with a contract extension (it was the end of August) and he finally played his first game in 2018 (then played 20 for the season). Surely he must have been a little disgruntled and surely he was gettable (and would have been pretty cheap).

So are there any other “under the radar” types, players that aren’t getting the coin they should warrant, or players that just aren’t getting a gig who we should be talking to?

I’d love us to have a word to Darcy Fogarty. I know he is South Australian, but he is a contested marking beast and exactly the type of player that we currently need Naughton to be. He is also a natural forward and a beautiful kick of the footy (and very accurate even from outside 50). The Crows are playing him down back in the SANFL, with their defensive stocks thinner than their forward stocks and he is not likely to get a run forward until the likes of Walker or Jenkins retire. All this should make him gettable and, whilst we might need to offer him overs, he should come relatively cheap.

Brody Mihocek is another I would be sounding out. Still on a rookie contract and the same type of player as Fogarty. Collingwood’s cap must be bursting too, so any decent offer we make might be difficult for them to match.

*Apologies, I intended to put this in the AFL talk forum
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 25-04-2019 at 02:40 PM.

2. Thanks GVGjr, Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Mason Wood and Rory Thompson
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

4. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Mason Wood and Rory Thompson
    I’ve seen Mason Wood miss some easy shots haha, but I do like him as a player though.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

We meet with player agents frequently during the season to see which ones might be either unhappy at their current club looking for an opportunity elsewhere and then consider if they fit the profile of the type of player we need.
    I'm sure we are proactive in our endeavours to attract the right players but I do think it's harder for us unless we are prepared to pay over the odds as we are not currently seen as a genuine finals caliber side.

It's one of the reason why I was dirty on our 2017 season because I genuinely believe if we had backed up on our success in 2016 we would have had a lot more interest in the better players considering a long career at the Kennel.

Good thread TAC.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The podcast mjp recommended 'behind the lines' has an episode with a Marty Pask that looks at this actually

9. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brayden Sier at Collingwood. Potential to be a Josh Kennedy like midfielder. Pies have an abundance of inside mids.
    Footscray member since 1980.

11. Likes The Adelaide Connection, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Brayden Sier at Collingwood. Potential to be a Josh Kennedy like midfielder. Pies have an abundance of inside mids.
    Trained with us but Collingwood got him before us , good mate with lipinski.
    Eltham boy.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I’d look to proactively poach Bailey Williams, Pat Lipinski and Lewis Young.

Am I doing it right?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’d look to proactively poach Bailey Williams, Pat Lipinski and Lewis Young.

Am I doing it right?
    I said it and have been pulled up on that concept. But I agree, there's ramifications far beyond the head coaches desire to select teams in a different way.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Roughead from the pies?

16. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Roughead from the pies?
    It is very frustrating to see Dahlhaus, Roughie & Stringer performing well.
    Not that I wish them ill, but more the knowledge that if we were the beneficiaries of their performances this year, we'd be a damn sight better club.

18. Likes Eastdog, Grantysghost, Doggy, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We meet with player agents frequently during the season to see which ones might be either unhappy at their current club looking for an opportunity elsewhere and then consider if they fit the profile of the type of player we need.
    I'm sure we are proactive in our endeavours to attract the right players but I do think it's harder for us unless we are prepared to pay over the odds as we are not currently seen as a genuine finals caliber side.

It's one of the reason why I was dirty on our 2017 season because I genuinely believe if we had backed up on our success in 2016 we would have had a lot more interest in the better players considering a a long career at the Kennel.

Good thread TAC.
    Our lack of scalps at the end of 2016 (and losing Hamling to boot) is part of what inspired this thread.

If you take a player like Fogarty (or Lipinski for us) they both landed at precisely where they wanted to go and they probably have more goodwill and patience than they otherwise might. I can’t imagine player agents are going to mention them as players looking to move.

I’d like us to call Fogarty’s agent and throw an offer at him that sits him down in his chair and would make anyone reconsider toiling away as a fullback in the SANFL with the hopes of getting a call up and scraping out a few games (or having to wait till Walker or Jenkins retire to get a gig up forward). Hell, work out who the Sam Reid to his Callan Ward is and tell him we will rookie them too.

Put the idea in his head now. Then with every hammering that the Crows 2’s get on a shitty, cold afternoon in Noarlunga, that offer might start eating away at him and sounding pretty unbeatable. Meanwhile, his agent starts thinking about the extra $$$ he will make over the modest contract the Crows will throw at him and starts warming to the idea.

Sure, we are not exactly setting the world on fire at the moment but we could make a damn strong case that we are closer to a flag than they are and we are in the position to promise him (or Sier, or Mihocek, Wood, etc.) the world.

20. Likes Grantysghost, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All for this and love the double positive pun on poaching.(by nature it’s being proactive but in a stealthy way)
    Unfortunately we are not a destination club . So we can entice as much as we want but we end up being the under bidder

Why have we missed players like ?
    Sam collins: holding down KPP at suns and has taken a heap of intercept mark
    Sydney stack : brilliant x-factor and that battering hip and shoulder on Viney was a beauty
    Gibbons : won several vfl best and fairest got finally given a go
    ATKINS : tackling machine with geelong vfl

I just hate how the hawks get players and they become even better
    Scrimshaw: has held his position with the hawks, 2 years with suns traded for In exchange for Scrimshaw, Gold Coast will receive the Hawks’ future third round draft pick, for the Suns’ future fourth round selectio
    Henderson : his having a breakout season

Milera: finally gotten over his injuries and is playing well

Tom Lynch is another who could not get a game at the saints a few years ago, behind riewoldt And Rhys stanley
    Newman : looks becoming replacement for kade Simpson
    We seem to be recruiting good citizens , but have they got an xfactor that stands out like some of the above ?

Getting them is one challenge and then developing them and ironing out their deficiencies is another . Maybe I will put it in one of the other threads on coaching and development etc.... ie our goal kicking is terrible
    Last edited by macca; 25-04-2019 at 11:00 PM.

22. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    All for this and love the double positive pun on poaching.(by nature it’s being proactive but in a stealthy way)
    Unfortunately we are not a destination club . So we can entice as much as we want but we end up being the under bidder

Why have we missed players like ?
    Sam collins: holding down KPP at suns and has taken a heap of intercept mark
    Sydney stack : brilliant x-factor and that battering hip and shoulder on Viney was a beauty
    Gibbons : won several vfl best and fairest got finally given a go
    ATKINS : tackling machine with geelong vfl

I just hate how the hawks get players and they become even better
    Scrimshaw: has held his position with the hawks, 2 years with suns traded for In exchange for Scrimshaw, Gold Coast will receive the Hawks’ future third round draft pick, for the Suns’ future fourth round selectio
    Henderson : his having a breakout season

Milera: finally gotten over his injuries and is playing well

Tom Lynch is another who could not get a game at the saints a few years ago, behind riewoldt And Rhys stanley
    Newman : looks becoming replacement for kade Simpson
    We seem to be recruiting good citizens , but have they got an xfactor that stands out like some of the above ?

Getting them is one challenge and then developing them and ironing out their deficiencies is another . Maybe I will put it in one of the other threads on coaching and development etc.... ie our goal kicking is terrible
    Ha, glad you liked it. I wanted to emphasise the “Poach early, avoid the rush” angle of my thinking.

That is a fair list of players. There are no doubt plenty more that haven’t worked out (we have owned lots of those) and Carlton have been aggressive in recruiting GWS cast aways for more misses than hits.

Speaking of Carlton, I would add Will Setterfield to your list. Good size, great skills and user, and he was highly touted in his draft year (went at pick 5 in 2016). Only knock on him has been his body- has just come back from an ACL and hasn’t been able to get a clear run at it yet.

I would be appalled if we hadn’t at least had a really good look and I am pretty sure he was a bulldog supporter (and his cousin is also Isabel Huntington) so we surely would have been in with a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Left-field selection because he'd need a bit of work, but Jy Simpkin.

On the outer at North (dropped again this week) but has shown some flashes of genuine X factor and goal sense in the past. Might be the type that flourishes under a different system.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers