Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Brad Hill. I don't see Freo & St Kilda repairing the break down now. Two firsts and a third is overs too. Our first, two thirds and a player that covers the gap (McLean type) should be acceptable between two clubs with a recent solid trading relationship. Does them getting Garlick from our board count as anything in a trade?

Edit:

Offer Freo Pick 13, Pick 36*, dogs player - for - Brad Hill, 6 years on $700,000.

*DVI = Picks 51 & 53, which they'd use on NGA Liam Henry going first round.
    If the contract the media has thrown around is right, I'm not comfortable putting Hill on that kind of money. 900k a year for 6 years would make him comfortably our most well-paid player.

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    If the contract the media has thrown around is right, I'm not comfortable putting Hill on that kind of money. 900k a year for 6 years would make him comfortably our most well-paid player.
    If the Saints deal falls over he may well take less money to make sure he gets to Melbourne. Reports were that his wife was in a hurry to move back.

As someone mentioned, there could be scope to top him up off the salary cap with some kind of Indigenous ambassador etc. too.

Post Thanks / Like

Ayden Johnson from Port has been delisted. I hope we consider him for a rookie spot
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t pay him that even if he picked us. But if it was $700,000 with us (same as Martin offer) or stay in Freo? I’d be interested in knowing his response.

Interesting to see what Bell does now.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs: Out: Pick 13, Pick 36 worth of points (51 & 53) & 2020 1st Rounder
    Freo: Out: Hill, 2 x 2nds 2020 Rounders - by trading 26 for a future second & our points & Langdon on NGA Henry.

Dogs: In: Hill & many hundreds more draft points next year
    Freo: In: Two first rounders, second rounder (worth of points this year)
    Or
    Saints: Pick 12, future second, Blake Acres

Nothing is going to happen, but it’s interesting because we can trade our future first, provided our draft points are overall up significantly as per above. St Kilda won’t offer their 1st next year under any circumstances. Anyhoo.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Thanks The Adelaide Connection thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No way for 900k.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    If the Saints deal falls over he may well take less money to make sure he gets to Melbourne. Reports were that his wife was in a hurry to move back.

As someone mentioned, there could be scope to top him up off the salary cap with some kind of Indigenous ambassador etc. too.
    That was me. I’ve looked through the EBA and s.11 allows for additional services agreements that are outside the cap, to a maximum of 6 players. As a big indigenous name, I dare say he’d be one of the 6 of our players who have access to about $1.1M annually.

10. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was me. I’ve looked through the EBA and s.11 allows for additional services agreements that are outside the cap, to a maximum of 6 players. As a big indigenous name, I dare say he’d be one of the 6 of our players.
    Could also lead our indigenous programme
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes bulldogtragic, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Could also lead our indigenous programme
    Yep.,That’s how he’d easily get sign off by the general counsel for getting a well paid ASA. And PG get his wish.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs: Out: Pick 13, Pick 36 worth of points (51 & 53) & 2020 1st Rounder
    Freo: Out: Hill, 2 x 2nds 2020 Rounders - by trading 26 for a future second & our points & Langdon on NGA Henry.

Dogs: In: Hill & many hundreds more draft points next year
    Freo: In: Two first rounders, second rounder (worth of points this year)
    Or
    Saints: Pick 12, future second, Blake Acres

Nothing is going to happen, but it’s interesting because we can trade our future first, provided our draft points are overall up significantly as per above. St Kilda won’t offer their 1st next year under any circumstances. Anyhoo.
    That was me. I’ve looked through the EBA and s.11 allows for additional services agreements that are outside the cap, to a maximum of 6 players. As a big indigenous name, I dare say he’d be one of the 6 of our players who have access to about $1.1M annually.
    So we could offer Hill the Martin offer, 5 years (6 on trigger) on $700,000 and then $200,000 outside of the cap via an ASA to be the face of our indigenous program, marketing & our NGA. So we could match the Saints offer, and offer a better deal to Freo. Ross Lyon was all over Brad Lynch (WA boy) a couple of years ago too. All theoretical of course.

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Hill that good? Really, I don’t know.

If he needs to move why pay so much?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Reckon he's probably the best line-breaking wingman in the league at the moment. Definitely a super player.

18. Likes Mofra, divvydan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great point

Post Thanks / Like

Reckon he's probably the best line-breaking wingman in the league at the moment. Definitely a super player.
    Yep - he has become a seriously good player now.

700k / top 10 pick seems a little overs particularly for a non challenging club like St Kilda but the more I think about it Hill would be a good fit for a club like ours.

Post Thanks / Like

If the $900,000 was in the cap, I would absolutely agree with you. If we offered him the Martin contract, 5 X $700,000 in the cap and then outside of the cap roughly an equal share of the ASA allowance, about $200,000, I could live with that. But he would need to actually earn the extra by being our indigenous ambassador and all that it entails, marketing, indigenous engagement across the Western Suburbs and western Victoria and being the face of, and active Ambasador of, our NGA program.

In that perspective, the money is what we offered Jack Martin and an extra figure outside the cap up to $200,000 for real services rendered to help us build an indigenous program and pathway into the club. Hill is a gun and exactly the type we needs and I rate over Martin. So there's a hypothetical argument for it. But it's all completely hypothetical.

22. Thanks The Adelaide Connection thanked for this post