Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

The funniest part is the players most likely havent even made their choice yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Saints are desperate for good picks this year to do their twenty trades we are hearing about. Desperate in fact.

So Ok, Saints want pick #12 for Bruce. Let's give them pick 30 too.

So Dogs give up #12 and #30

Saints give up Bruce and the Saints future 2020 first rounder.

Would you do this?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Saints are desperate for good picks this year to do their twenty trades we are hearing about. Desperate in fact.

Would you do this?
    No. They can have 30 for Bruce which is the prevailing media reporting. If 41 & 46 help then I’d take their 2020 second (circa 30).

For us it’s another pick next year being burned up by JUH & co. While self imposed struggling to have picks this year to land Keath or other quality trades.

The only way I can see an argument is if JUH is going pick 1, and we need extra extra points. Or looking to trade St Kilda 1st for Keath & Adelaide’s second. But I don’t see at first glance the merits. While we have the picks and salary cap, and priority access drain next year, I’m happy to leave them to work out all these trades unless they want 41 & 46 for the mid level trades, for their 2020 2nd.

What are the benefits to us of handing off pick 12?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

Would you do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    No. They can have 30 for Bruce which is the prevailing media reporting. If 41 & 46 help then I’d take their 2020 second (circa 30).

For us it’s another pick next year being burned up by JUH & co. While self imposed struggling to have picks this year to land Keath or other quality trades.

The only way I can see an argument is if JUH is going pick 1, and we need extra extra points. Or looking to trade St Kilda 1st for Keath & Adelaide’s second. But I don’t see at first glance the merits. While we have the picks and salary cap, and priority access drain next year, I’m happy to leave them to work out all these trades unless they want 41 & 46 for the mid level trades, for their 2020 2nd.

What are the benefits to us of handing off pick 12?
    Effectively Dry Rot is suggesting Pick 12 for St Kilda 2020 1st Rounder.

I can't see St Kilda doing that, but we couldn't refuse.

We could on trade for other picks that would cover JUH.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t know much about this draft crop but I’m not a huge fan of trading first picks - considering our history of getting it right.

Surely if we need points we load up on second rounders for next year, otherwise we’re effectively using 2 first picks for a high draft pick. Way too risky for a kid whose never played an AFL game

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

The Saints have made it very clear they want Ben King from the Suns who comes out of contract next year so I think they will need their 1st round pick in 2020
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree, Saints won't do it owing to King. I get the swap and the extra first rounder more than covers JUH, too much so. We should be focussed on strengthening middle range picks to cover the points not using two first rounders. But let's say they improve a little with Ratten in charge and Hill, Jones, Ryder, Gray, maybe Keath and others. Say they move to pick 8. Then we swapping pick 8 next year, for pick 12 this year. I'd rather pick 12 this year. Pick 12 allows us to pursue Keath, Moore, Howard (names previously in media) and other good targets. Trading away pick 12 hamstrings us. Unless we trade it this year, but it might not be as appealing as a first round pick this year. I personally wouldn't do it (caveats above) but as you and GVGjr point out, there's nearly no chance Saints offer it up with an aggressive move for King next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yep BT, additional 2nd and 3rd round picks next year will be our aim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The Saints have made it very clear they want Ben King from the Suns who comes out of contract next year so I think they will need their 1st round pick in 2020
    I agree that St Kilda wouldn't (or shouldn't) do the trade.

I was merely responding that if it was the trade we should do it without question in response to Dry Rot's hypothetical.

Post Thanks / Like

Still talk Fantasia may be traded. I don't mind him, would fill a need for us. It's almost like Jake has taken his spot has been really struggling since he arrived.
    I get he probably wants to go to SA. Crows are clearing the decks so there's room there.

Post Thanks / Like

Media reports a few weeks ago said we had an interest in Zak Smith from Geelong as a back up for Tim English. St Kilda were the only other team apparently interested in him, but they've got Paddy Ryder coming. Zak Smith has not yet been offered a contract and may not be offered a contract (Geelong Addy). Say either pick 84 or as a delisted free agent, I'm ok with the club getting a seasoned 30yo ruckman to back Tim up for free or next to free.

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that St Kilda wouldn't (or shouldn't) do the trade.

I was merely responding that if it was the trade we should do it without question in response to Dry Rot's hypothetical.
    I get that and I get it's a hypothetical option for discussion however, while I haven't done the maths I suspect additional 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2020 are a better outcome given our likely shopping list

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get that and I get it's a hypothetical option for discussion however, while I haven't done the maths I suspect additional 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2020 are a better outcome given our likely shopping list
    If we got a 2020 second and third round from St Kilda we would need them to finish in the bottom 6 to get the same points as pick 12 currently is.

Too much risk in that for me, but would be happy if we managed 2 second rounders from teams likely outside the 8 next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Media reports a few weeks ago said we had an interest in Zak Smith from Geelong as a back up for Tim English.
    I don't remember that, I thought it was just WOOF talk
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't remember that, I thought it was just WOOF talk
    I will try to find it, there was an article saying Saints & us had some interest.