Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Proactive Poaching

I know that clubs are not supposed to be talking to players from other teams but it is no secret that they still do.

A few years ago I was mystified why no one (especially Victorian teams) had targeted Tom Doedee. He was killing it at SANFL level but couldn’t crack even a single game with the Crows who had a solid defensive unit at the time (the likes of Lever, Talia, Smith, etc.). He was in the last year of his contract in 2017 (drafted in 2015) and is Victorian. It wasn’t until after the Crows realised they were losing Lever that they came to him with a contract extension (it was the end of August) and he finally played his first game in 2018 (then played 20 for the season). Surely he must have been a little disgruntled and surely he was gettable (and would have been pretty cheap).

So are there any other “under the radar” types, players that aren’t getting the coin they should warrant, or players that just aren’t getting a gig who we should be talking to?

I’d love us to have a word to Darcy Fogarty. I know he is South Australian, but he is a contested marking beast and exactly the type of player that we currently need Naughton to be. He is also a natural forward and a beautiful kick of the footy (and very accurate even from outside 50). The Crows are playing him down back in the SANFL, with their defensive stocks thinner than their forward stocks and he is not likely to get a run forward until the likes of Walker or Jenkins retire. All this should make him gettable and, whilst we might need to offer him overs, he should come relatively cheap.

Brody Mihocek is another I would be sounding out. Still on a rookie contract and the same type of player as Fogarty. Collingwood’s cap must be bursting too, so any decent offer we make might be difficult for them to match.

*Apologies, I intended to put this in the AFL talk forum
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 25-04-2019 at 02:40 PM.

2. Thanks GVGjr, Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, Dancin' Douggy liked this post