Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 96 of 141 FirstFirst ... 468687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

After just watching the GWS Bris game I’d say an intercept markers are worth their weight in gold

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keath and Bruce would definitely help our big man stocks. I like the fact that Naughton could go back if we needed to which is a big plus. Be interesting to see who we prune from our list and this is where Sammy Power gets paid the big bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    After just watching the GWS Bris game I’d say an intercept markers are worth their weight in gold
    Adams, when he was fit, was arguably our best intercept mark. I don't think we've replaced him as a tall defender or intercept marker. Up until the last few games, Young was toiling away in the VFL. I'm not comfortable to rely our intercept defending on him just yet. As comrade aptly points out, a ACL and not medial would've been disaster with Naughton and our forwardline without a Bruce type. On just the last 12 months we need to replace Boyd & Adams. Bruce kicks more goals than Boyd, but not as strong in the second ruck but serviceable. Keath is good one on one, intercept marker and uses the footy better than Adams. It allows Cordy to move to a third tall type and JT & Young to compete for FB. Keath & Bruce make us better. Although I don't see room to keep Gardner around if we got both.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's half the value in a Keath type acquisition : the shuffle-effect of being able to deploy others against better suited opponents.

Also of the view if Richmond can make a Riewoldt / Lynch combination work we can make hay with a Naughton / Bruce tandem, surely.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Adams, when he was fit, was arguably our best intercept mark. I don't think we've replaced him as a tall defender or intercept marker. Up until the last few games, Young was toiling away in the VFL. I'm not comfortable to rely our intercept defending on him just yet. As comrade aptly points out, a ACL and not medial would've been disaster with Naughton and our forwardline without a Bruce type. On just the last 12 months we need to replace Boyd & Adams. Bruce kicks more goals than Boyd, but not as strong in the second ruck but serviceable. Keath is good one on one, intercept marker and uses the footy better than Adams. It allows Cordy to move to a third tall type and JT & Young to compete for FB. Keath & Bruce make us better. Although I don't see room to keep Gardner around if we got both.
    I noticed Adam's hobbling off late in the game with what appeared to be another foot injury.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I noticed Adam's hobbling off late in the game with what appeared to be another foot injury.
    Yeah I saw that too, at least his timing was right. He's a had a lot injuries this year with his 'fresh start' with his body and a new medico team. Maybe he's just not meant to play afl footy. Which is a bit of shame because his best is eye catching, but I'm comfortable to take 2nd & 3rd rounders we got for him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    has been very ordinary this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yes, we need depth in a few positions badly

Key defender, No doubt about it.
    We will probably land Keath or someone else and while I'm hopeful it will work out do we need another one who's best football is as an intercept defender?

Key Forward Yes probably.
    We don't have the depth at Footscray. Gardiner is a bit's and pieces player but other than that we would need to cover an injury to a key tall by going with a smaller line-up
    I'd say we are likely to get Bruce but again he's not exactly what we need. The big upside is that he can kick goals

Midfield depth - Yes, very likely
    Our midfield was awesome this year but we lacked depth with the injuries to Liberatore and Wallis. We need to find another player or two so we aren't exposed in 2020

Ruck - Yes
    We rolled the dice this year by not having enough depth in the rucks. Fortunately English remained healthy and Trengove jumped in when needed. We can't take that chance again next year because I don't think Sweet is anywhere near ready yet. Ideally we need a more versatile player who can fill in a couple of other positions.

Experience - So many people flag our lack of experience with games played etc after losses that we can't just ignore a player like Isaac Smith if he were available
    All excellent points
    Bruce covers the Key fwd requirement , can go back and pinch in ruck

The other for mid are we looking for a big bodied mid (Constable) or wingman Long distance gains type or one who can kick goals ? SHows how important Picken was , and Libba fit and in form .

Is there anyone in our list that is equivalent to Isaac ? For some reason I see Richards in this mound with another pre season but he doesn’t have the kick penetration.

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of Bruce, Naughton and Schache working, it's not about how many talls you have but how many immobile guys you have. Naughton makes us more mobile than Dickson through his defensive efforts IMO. Also, Schache doesn't really play as a tall. More like a medium sized forward who can be damaging with limited chances.

12. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One aspect I keep in mind with Naucheuce is that one will spend minutes in the ruck and they will at various times go off the ground for a rest so I wouldn't be surprised if we had 2 forward more often than 3 for the balance of the game and occasionally just had the one.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there's a glaring deficiency you have left out.
    A dynamic, pacy small forward with a bag of tricks and good at applying pressure.

Charlie Cameron/ Liam Ryan/ type.
    Yes, we need depth in a few positions badly

Key defender, No doubt about it.
    We will probably land Keath or someone else and while I'm hopeful it will work out do we need another one who's best football is as an intercept defender?

Key Forward Yes probably.
    We don't have the depth at Footscray. Gardiner is a bit's and pieces player but other than that we would need to cover an injury to a key tall by going with a smaller line-up
    I'd say we are likely to get Bruce but again he's not exactly what we need. The big upside is that he can kick goals

Midfield depth - Yes, very likely
    Our midfield was awesome this year but we lacked depth with the injuries to Liberatore and Wallis. We need to find another player or two so we aren't exposed in 2020

Ruck - Yes
    We rolled the dice this year by not having enough depth in the rucks. Fortunately English remained healthy and Trengove jumped in when needed. We can't take that chance again next year because I don't think Sweet is anywhere near ready yet. Ideally we need a more versatile player who can fill in a couple of other positions.

Experience - So many people flag our lack of experience with games played etc after losses that we can't just ignore a player like Isaac Smith if he were available

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I think there's a glaring deficiency you have left out.
    A dynamic, pacy small forward with a bag of tricks and good at applying pressure.

Charlie Cameron/ Liam Ryan/ type.
    That and a tagger

I'm still hopeful that if Cavarra gets fit he's a chance.

Do we actually have room for that pacy small forward? Naughton, Bruce and Schache, Dale, B.Smith, McLean, Lloyd, West, Wallis and Dickson will occupy a lot of the spots and we still have Cavarra, Gowers and any midfielders resting forward to consider
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    In terms of Bruce, Naughton and Schache working, it's not about how many talls you have but how many immobile guys you have. Naughton makes us more mobile than Dickson through his defensive efforts IMO. Also, Schache doesn't really play as a tall. More like a medium sized forward who can be damaging with limited chances.
    If we don't get help for Naughton and Schache they may very well not become the players we think. They are battering rams at the moment taking the best defenders every week. They need the focus taken off them until they develop their game. Their confidence will grow when they get the 3rd and 4th best defenders.

Need to remember it takes time for the big fellas to master the art. We have been lucky to have Lewy Young learning the caper in the 2's for the past 2 seasons rather than risk getting flogged down back each week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    If we don't get help for Naughton and Schache they may very well not become the players we think. They are battering rams at the moment taking the best defenders every week. They need the focus taken off them until they develop their game. Their confidence will grow when they get the 3rd and 4th best defenders.

Need to remember it takes time for the big fellas to master the art. We have been lucky to have Lewy Young learning the caper in the 2's for the past 2 seasons rather than risk getting flogged down back each week.
    There is a good point to what you say however, Naughton is advanced beyond his years in terms of his craft and there is a fine line between supporting both of them and slowing down their progress by putting another similar type alongside of them
    If we get it right then it's a good position for us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

There is a good point to what you say however, Naughton is advanced beyond his years in terms of his craft and there is a fine line between supporting both of them and slowing down their progress by putting another similar type alongside of them
    If we get it right then it's a good position for us
    Yeah agree that's my hesitation also.I just don't wanna rock up to round 1 next year and Schache is playing at Footscray.

I do believe though best 22 role players is the way to go because we already have the big fish Bont,Macrae,Dunkley,Naughton,English,Smith