Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 103 of 141 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

I listened to what Browne actually said on the radio before the tweet BAD showed above. Which was "St Kilda in the box seat for both Keath & Jones" (they don't have enough trade currency at this point for both players plus Hill, plus Ryder so I'm not sure "box seat" is accurate to describe acquiring them all) and also "I think Keath is leaning towards St Kilda". He "thinks"... "leaning towards''... leave a lot of doubt. Then by the tweet it's "firming". I'm happy to call this doubt filled, weak worded evolving brain fart as garbage. Another case of wanting to be first with certain news, than slower and completely accurate. What will be, will be.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes 1eyedog, Remi Moses, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you go by what is being reported in the media we are missing out on some of the more highly touted players at the moment
    It's hard to gauge how accurate or not that information is but upon reflection if we have missed on Martin and Keath then we have hardly missed on the perfect players for us. To me they both carried a level of risk and weren't necessarily fitted exactly what we needed

I hope this doesn't sound bad but part of the appeal of Jack Martin to me was that he could help kick start our plans to focus on improving our indigenous representation at the club and driving that going forward
    As a player he's still an exciting prospect who in my opinion hasn't lived up to to his potential. Would have been a real difference maker for us? Well I'm not so sure.
    I was a bit disappointed when he apparently nominated Carlton as his preferred club but for me it was easy to move on because he was no sure thing in my opinion

Alex Keath has had just one (very) good season and while it's in a position we would like to acquire some talent and depth in there was an element of risk. I don't think we are out of the race for him but once again I won't be devastated if we don't get him

The names that we are currently being to have a bit more appeal to me

Josh Bruce who is a proven goal kicker and still has some good football in front of him

A while back 'Mitcha' mentioned here on WOOF about the merits of Dougal Howard and about 5 months later we are apparently in the mix for him. He's versatile, mobile and his best football is still in front of him. Sounds like a Bevo player to me

I'm sure some more names we are being linked to by the media will come and go in the the next few weeks but I'm very confident we will land a couple of good players by the end of trade week regardless

I just won't get too disappointed on the ones we miss out on, they can get stuffed
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Thanks azabob, 1eyedog, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft for talent, trade for need around that talent ... It's served us pretty well of late.

Besides, a lot of those 'big fish' reeled in by others over the same period haven't exactly delivered on their advance billing.

Let the Dodos of the world pose with their catch while we get on with the job of building a top to bottom contender.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think the way I would look at it if I was you is like Chelsea have a ban on them trading for players at the moment and yet I sense you are still taking great delight at seeing some of the many talented youngsters they already have coming through. That might be our plight and it can still make for an exciting time at the club...well at least for me.

If some players are picking other clubs over us then they are poor decision makers in my humble opinion and I'm sure we will just find more deserving players by the end of the trade period.
    Haven't you been on the 'age is not an excuse' train GVGjr? Given we've spent the last 2-3 years taking positives from the young'uns and losing experienced plays rather than boosting our list with any significant additions (not to downplay the worthy players we've brought in but we all know they were on the fringes at their old clubs) I'm surprised to see you make that case.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I expected you might want to be a little more...aggressive perhaps this year. Given our profile and performance this year and commitments next year it's arguably the perfect time to get our Shaun Burgoyne and Josh Gibson in the door.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not losing sleep over losing Wingard or Impey. I’m quite happy with Crozier and Loyd.
    What’s in the media doesn’t matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    The Keath situation Seems to change daily
    I think there’s a bit of guesswork going on
    Do reporters have any other method?
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A while back 'Mitcha' mentioned here on WOOF about the merits of Dougal Howard and about 5 months later we are apparently in the mix for him. He's versatile, mobile and his best football is still in front of him. Sounds like a Bevo player to me
    I'm not sure how gettable he is, but his numbers aren't that far off Harris Andrews and he led the league in 1%ers in 2018.

I'd package pick 12 and get picks back for him, knowing they want a pick ahead of a bid for Mead and would trade their immediate pick after it for a points surplus.

IF Howard is gettable (big IF) it's feasable we end up with Howard and Bruce and manage to snag a second rounder to take to the draft.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't put much credence in much written nowadays.
    Reporters write an article with no credibility in the rumour whatsoever.
    The very low percentage it may come true the are lauded as "Story Breakers", the huge percentage they get wrong they just make up more rubbish as to why it never went down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Do reporters have any other method?
    Log onto WOOF.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Ollie Florent has extended at the Swans so knock that rumour on the head.

Post Thanks / Like

St Kilda will likely only secure a second-round pick for Josh Bruce, with their decision to consider trade request for him remaining a confusing decision given his goal power.

But St Kilda’s feeling is that they have so little of trade value they must find more picks given their desire to secure Brad Hill, Zak Jones, Patty Ryder and maybe even Port Adelaide’s Sam Gray.

He gets a longer-term deal and some security and the Saints get a second rounder.

They have picks 12, 30 and 41, which ironically is the Saints own pick after a trade last year.

Could the Dogs offer that as the starting point in a trade, even if the Saints would want more.

His likely departure will mean all eyes will be on Max King as he starts his second year, with Paddy McCartin’s future extremely uncertain in a forward line that could include Paddy Ryder alongside Tim Membrey.

Link

16. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting the Hun didn't mention them getting Keath.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think the way I would look at it if I was you is like Chelsea have a ban on them trading for players at the moment and yet I sense you are still taking great delight at seeing some of the many talented youngsters they already have coming through. That might be our plight and it can still make for an exciting time at the club...well at least for me.

If some players are picking other clubs over us then they are poor decision makers in my humble opinion and I'm sure we will just find more deserving players by the end of the trade period.
    I guess the difference between the two(Chelsea and the Dogs) is we(the Dogs) have been going down this youth path now for the last 4 or 5 seasons while at Chelsea it's all new. So seeing these kids come in the side that Chelsea fans have been hearing about and seeing develop in underage football for years now is scratching an itch thats been bugging is for ages.

The Dogs are the opposite, we got the kids here already playing for the last while and we just need 3 or 4 top enders(replacing the ones we've lost since 2016) to take us that last step. It's just so disappointing that we aren't seen as a great destination as we really should be with our great coach and great young list.

I agree that it's still not going to take away any excitement that I have for the club. I guess it's always been that way and we know no different.

And how stupid are these players, knocking back bigger offers from us to go to shitter club. Idiots.
    The curse is dead.

19. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Essendon come on Down
    The draft is always the best way
    We’ve drafted better than Stkilda have

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.