Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 11 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Fossie will always be a favourite.
    Tom Boyd just for his 2016.
    Both the Hudsons were fantastic for us.
    Hamling best value - signed for nothing, premiership CHB, nets us a late second rounder.

Libba Snr & Scott Wynd signed from under North's nose is our best swindle but not sure they qualify.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any chance we can not turn this into a retrospective thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Back on subject there had been some mentions of Peter Wright and Rory Thompson from the Suns - both have reportedly signed contract extensions.

4. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have we really defined what we need?

I am sure the Club has, but for our discussion, what type of player should we be targeting?

Personally I want to see an Eddie Betts type, but they are far and few between.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I am sure the Club has, but for our discussion, what type of player should we be targeting?

On that line of thought... Carlton players tend to excel once they leave Carlton. Anyone there we should target?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Back on subject there had been some mentions of Peter Wright and Rory Thompson from the Suns - both have reportedly signed contract extensions.
    Yeah Rory signed a bit earlier in the year despite his ACL.
    Sam Day has been left out a few times behind recent additions, he seems 'gettable' hence my interest.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    On that line of thought... Carlton players tend to excel once they leave Carlton. Anyone there we should target?
    Liam Jones must come out of contract shortly!!!

9. Likes hujsh, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    It's a contract year this year for him, he is out of contract at the end of this season. It's why he's playing well before his concussion.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Good idea we need a forward!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes hujsh, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Charlie
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Eddie Betts is the exact prototype of ONE of the types we need, I agree 100%.
    Charlie Cameron is one
    Liam Ryan is one

Maybe Jack Martin is someone they are eyeing off for that role???

We should have gone for Garlett when Carlton tossed him aside cheaply.

All these boys are indigenous, and they seem to perform that particular role better than anyone.

I have a theory on Jack Martin which I will elaborate on in another post

Post Thanks / Like

When Adelaide went after Bryce Gibbs and got him, They paid, in my opinion, WWWAAAYYYY overs for him.

And the reason they did, was because they had a fixation about him, a romantic notion, nay, an obsession...... an internal pledge... 'we'll get him back one day, just wait and see'. They felt destiny had intended for them to 'be together'. Like Cathy and Heathcliff.

They saw their glittering prize, a young player they felt they had every right to claim as a SA kid and son of a local legend, snatched out from under their noses and since then, have harboured this simmering burning obsession with getting him back. In essence, they were in love with him. And it blinded them.

Now, to be honest, I have a similar feeling, though nowhere near as strong, about Jack Martin, and I wonder if the club in general does too.

I was so certain we were gonna get him back in his draft year. So certain he would be a 'once in a generation' superstar. A combination of Jezza, Blight, Winmar, Macleod etc etc etc............. and he would be a Bulldog. When Gold Coast pulled their slimy shifty stunt I was so pissed off.................

Now, Jack Martin hasn't proven to be this type of player,................yet................. but I think we can all see the potential there, and I would feel a certain sense of smug satisfaction to see him in a Bulldogs jumper.

I think he is the type of player we need as well....I just hope the powers that be don't pay too much for him like Adelaide did with Gibbs.
    But I do hope we can land him. (because I love him)
    Last edited by Dancin' Douggy; 31-05-2019 at 09:53 PM.

16. Likes bornadog, GVGjr, hujsh, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heathcliff, its me, I'm Cathy I've come home at last...
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

18. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Moneyball: Latest trade whispers, contract talk on Jack Martin, Brayden Sier, Todd Goldstein and more

Victorian clubs like Carlton and the Western Bulldogs keen to secure Gold Coast’s Jack Martin will have to open their chequebooks wide.

Martin’s contract talks are now all but certain to take place at the end of the season, with the 24-year-old not ruling out staying at the Suns.

But the asking price for Martin could get close to an incredible $4 million if a club is desperate to land him. A club near the bottom of the ladder might need to offer him $700,000 over five or six years. There is also the option of moving to a premier club that would lower the pay demands.

On his current form he isn’t worth anywhere near that, but in a buyer’s market clubs are aware that is how much he would cost.

It is amazing how much potential can cost in a market with few elite targets on offer.

At Fremantle they will be doing some juggling with their cap space to free up cash for Tim Kelly.

But even with Hayden Ballantyne, Aaron Sandilands and likely Harley Bennell retiring, they aren’t seen to have more than $700,000 a season available for the Cats flyer.

IS DARLING THE MAN FOR DOGS?

Jack Darling’s name has come up in trade discussions this week, linked by Perth media to the Western Bulldogs to beef up their attacking credentials.

He would be the perfect second forward behind Aaron Naughton, and they have the picks and inclination to secure a player of his calibre.

But he would come with a price tag approaching seven figures - and maybe even more - so they would have to pay top dollar to drag a player out of contract and out of a premiership club.

It is extraordinary money for a player who has blown hot and cold, but the Dogs do have as much cap space as anyone in the AFL this year after the retirements of Tom Boyd and Liam Picken.

20. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So our entire $1.6+M on just Martin & Darling.

Pass.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

22. Likes Bulldog4life, kruder liked this post