Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 42 of 141 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    What if Isaac Smith cost an emerging player.

Someone will miss for Isaac to be playing. Where does that leave Richards/Williams/Dale.

Does it also question the position of Daniel in the side.

It might not cost in trade, but it may in development opportunity/playing time and the player missing may seek other opportunities.
    I don't think this is the right approach or an accurate reflection on recruiting a player and to be honest our passive list management is more of a threat to that.
    Smith might cost us a 3rd pick which isn't a problem and if you look at it differently it could potentially help make us a genuine contender.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Hawks picked up a 31 year old Brian Lake because he filled a specific need. He played 3 seasons for 3 flags. I'd say that turned out alright.

Isaac Smith could be a master stroke if you ask me.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

3. Likes Mofra, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What if Isaac Smith cost an emerging player.

Someone will miss for Isaac to be playing. Where does that leave Richards/Williams/Dale.

Does it also question the position of Daniel in the side.

It might not cost in trade, but it may in development opportunity/playing time and the player missing may seek other opportunities.
    I agree , hawks tend to get it right in terms of letting go players towards the end of their careers, perhaps 1-2 years too early like hodge and sam Mitchell. I would prefer if we get games into those 3 you mentioned . Where is Lynch at , how far is he from stepping into this Long kicking distance gained wingman ? He kicked a beautiful 60 m goal last weekend
    They were spot on with jordon lewis and brad Sewell. Perhaps they kept roughhead for 1 year too Long ??

Post Thanks / Like

I just think it's all really simple in our situation, improve the list and playing profile at the lowest cost - focusing on a couple of key areas being outside run, key defncive posts and ruck cover.

Getting into a situation of looking to the future where good players are not brought in because of the need to develop youngsters when we're knocking on the door of the eight is completely silly, especially when we're already young enough and have endured two years of being really young after a bloody premiership.

If you watch our games and can't see that this is the precise time to get a key defender and some ruck cover, and outside run from wherever it is you just don't understand how close we are to wrecking the joint again.

We just need to make it happen, if Richards misses out, or anyone else misses out in the next couple of years they'll still be under 24 and will have had a shit tonne of good habits instilled in them. Eventually you have to stop being young, and start being good.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes GVGjr, azabob, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Hawks picked up a 31 year old Brian Lake because he filled a specific need. He played 3 seasons for 3 flags. I'd say that turned out alright.

Isaac Smith could be a master stroke if you ask me.
    You also need to have a good understanding of where you are as a club. It's not worth trading for a Brian Lake if you aren't likely to be contending for a flag.

Jeemak makes a good point about our list profile and we have enough quality youngsters so even if we do recruit someone like Smith the better performed youngsters will still get selected

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You also need to have a good understanding of where you are as a club. It's not worth trading for a Brian Lake if you aren't likely to be contending for a flag.

Jeemak makes a good point about our list profile and we have enough quality youngsters so even if we do recruit someone like Smith the better performed youngsters will still get selected
    I do understand the need to improve the list and we have been short on for experienced heads on field over the past 2 or 3 seasons.

I believe we have addressed that a little with players like Duryea and Lloyd this year while our young stars (Macrae, Bont etc) are now entering football prime.

Does Isaac Smith make us better next year?
    Projecting what we would get in 2020 from Isaac Smith or Bailey Dale (or whoever would miss)is the sort of alternative the list management need to understand.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I do understand the need to improve the list and we have been short on for experienced heads on field over the past 2 or 3 seasons.

I believe we have addressed that a little with players like Duryea and Lloyd this year while our young stars (Macrae, Bont etc) are now entering football prime.

Does Isaac Smith make us better next year?
    Projecting what we would get in 2020 from Isaac Smith or Bailey Dale (or whoever would miss)is the sort of alternative the list management need to understand.
    I think he provides us with a level of running power that we don't otherwise have. I'm not sure how much better he makes us though

I'd be more interested in Smith if we were to land a Martin or Keath/Tomlinson combination because I then think we are right back in the mix. Smith by himself I don't think gets us where we need to be.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he provides us with a level of running power that we don't otherwise have. I'm not sure how much better he makes us though

I'd be more interested in Smith if we were to land a Martin or Keath/Tomlinson combination because I then think we are right back in the mix. Smith by himself I don't think gets us where we need to be.
    My view is that the player we need is a Key Defender.

From the names bandied about that is probably Tomlinson or Keath.

We actually have plenty of players who can play flank/wing and I am now encouraged by the form of Dale.

That is why I am not sold on Isaac Smith. If we were to get a small, I much favour Jack Martin, as I think we could get something better from him than he has produced at Gold Coast, while Smith is more likely to be in decline.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale doesn't play wing besides I'd prefer him much closer to goal. He's a good play maker, is super dangerous around the sticks and is deadly accurate as well. High half forward is a good position for him.

Smith would make a big difference to us. While I have said in the past I prefer Martin, Smith is cream on this young cake and would certainly help us transition faster. He's old but he has that wiry body type and two good years of football left I reckon. It is highly possible we play finals next year and the year after.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My view is that the player we need is a Key Defender.

From the names bandied about that is probably Tomlinson or Keath.

We actually have plenty of players who can play flank/wing and I am now encouraged by the form of Dale.

That is why I am not sold on Isaac Smith. If we were to get a small, I much favour Jack Martin, as I think we could get something better from him than he has produced at Gold Coast, while Smith is more likely to be in decline.
    Yes I agree re Martin. I would take him over Tippa. I think his ceiling has been nowhere near reached.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Yes I agree re Martin. I would take him over Tippa. I think his ceiling has been nowhere near reached.
    If we managed only Martin and a KPD I'd still be pretty happy. We must have a truckload of cap space available so we can keep the core of our list together while we add quality.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The Age mentioned in an article that Carlton May have cooled on Jack Martin.
    Other than us and the Suns who else is interested in him?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Essendon probably, maybe Hawthorn and North always have some cash to splash

Carlton's focus must have moved to another GWS player

Post Thanks / Like

Essendon probably, maybe Hawthorn and North always have some cash to splash

Carlton's focus must have moved to another GWS player
    Thanks. So likely to go to the Hawks then.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Brisbane, big time
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket