Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 101 of 141 FirstFirst ... 51919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    C'mon, it's not all doom and gloom, I don't mind that we have to work a bit harder than some others

We've done OK on the recruiting front and we will no doubt continue that trend this year
    It's true. Our recent acquisitions have all been regular senior contributors Suckling, Crozier, Duryea, Lloyd, Trengove. I guess thats our play along with astute drafting. For me personally I fight the urge to get sucked into the running commentary around player movement whilst balancing it with a child like anticipation of who we can snare.
    I do get a bit miffed though when teams like Melbourne and St.Kilda attract top tier talent when I believe we have so much more to offer.
    I've got faith we get can what we need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's true. Our recent acquisitions have all been regular senior contributors Suckling, Crozier, Duryea, Lloyd, Trengove. I guess thats our play along with astute drafting. For me personally I fight the urge to get sucked into the running commentary around player movement whilst balancing it with a child like anticipation of who we can snare.
    I do get a bit miffed though when teams like Melbourne and St.Kilda attract top tier talent when I believe we have so much more to offer.
    Thing is if we miss on a few drafts we are in a world of trouble. Thank the Maker we've absolutely nailed our picks because we suck at luring top line talent to our club. If we hadn't have been so good at identifying talent in the draft pool we'd be languishing bottom 4 for a long, long time.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Thing is if we miss on a few drafts we are in a world of trouble. Thank the Maker we've absolutely nailed our picks because we suck at luring top line talent to our club. If we hadn't have been so good at identifying talent in the draft pool we'd be languishing bottom 4 for a long, long time.
    Interesting point, but is it just identifying talent.

I think we need to give some credit for our record at development. Players like McLean, Dunkley, Lipinski show a consistent trend of being ahead of their draft position.

I know that is balanced with some who haven't come on, but Keiran Collins is the only real bust I can think of over the past 5 years.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yes we've done very well, and looks like Jamarra will add to that next season.
    I guess for us we need to be Swans like regular finals participants and then the tide will turn.

Post Thanks / Like

St Kilda and top tier talent?

Carlisle, Brad Hill if they get him... and a 10 year finals drought.
    Melbourne got Steven May, Lever, and finished second last this year.

It's easy to get seduced by big names but cheaper role players while nailing the draft works too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn are confirmed to have inquired about Sam Frost from Melbourne. Would they really be after both Frost and Keath?

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    St Kilda and top tier talent?

Carlisle, Brad Hill if they get him... and a 10 year finals drought.
    Melbourne got Steven May, Lever, and finished second last this year.

It's easy to get seduced by big names but cheaper role players while nailing the draft works too.
    You make a valid point re the Saints. They're probably on a par with us and Norf in the attractiveness stakes.
    Melbourne look like getting Tomlinson and Langdon to add to May, Lever so I think they're in front of us. But time will tell, and whether it relates to success well that's a whole different topic there

Post Thanks / Like

You make a valid point re the Saints. They're probably on a par with us and Norf in the attractiveness stakes.
    Melbourne look like getting Tomlinson and Langdon to add to May, Lever so I think they're in front of us. But time will tell, and whether it relates to success well that's a whole different topic there
    I rate on field performance over the ability to attract 'big names' at trade time.
    Essendon have 'won' trade week every year for the past three. We smashed them by 104 points and they haven't won a final for 16 seasons.

The year Essendon brought in Smith, Stringer and Saad we also brought in three players - Crozier, Schache and Trengove.
    We also managed to pick up two first round talents that year - Naughton and Richards, while Essendon's first pick was Jordan Houlihan.

I rate our boys ahead of theirs, and that's just one year in which we both traded heavily.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes azabob, Grantysghost, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I rate on field performance over the ability to attract 'big names' at trade time.
    Essendon have 'won' trade week every year for the past three. We smashed them by 104 points and they haven't won a final for 16 seasons.

The year Essendon brought in Smith, Stringer and Saad we also brought in three players - Crozier, Schache and Trengove.
    We also managed to pick up two first round talents that year - Naughton and Richards, while Essendon's first pick was Jordan Houlihan.

I rate our boys ahead of theirs, and that's just one year in which we both traded heavily.
    Isn’t it amazing how the media go on about Dodoro being the number one in getting trades done and how they win the trade week but
    have done zilch in the years he has been there. How do you rate a trade winner until the year is over ?
    I would have thought the lions won it last draft going on results and those players drafted being a big part of the rise.
    Bring back the biff

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's swings around a bit but yes it' surprises me that a club like Melbourne can consistently attract players over us.

By the way, we can add Schache to that impressive list of acquisitions you detailed.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Morris Q&A:

Q: What is Isaac Smith worth? If the Dogs give up a late first round to early second round for him, it’s almost worth it.

I doubt the Hawks would allow him to go unless it’s for a first-round pick. Equally, he’s a contracted player so he’d have to agree. But after what happened to Lewis and Mitchell, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that the Dogs could offer him more years than the Hawks could. I’m intrigued to see it play out. Where there is smoke there is often fire.

Q: Any update on whether the Dogs are still the favourites to get Josh Bruce and Alex Keath?

The Dogs are heavy favourites to get Josh Bruce. My belief is that will probably get done. Keath is Saints or Dogs, but highly doubt he will be at Crows.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Thanks azabob, Mofra, Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A first or early second for Smith? Yeah, nah.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Tom Morris Q&A:

Q: What is Isaac Smith worth? If the Dogs give up a late first round to early second round for him, it’s almost worth it.

I doubt the Hawks would allow him to go unless it’s for a first-round pick. Equally, he’s a contracted player so he’d have to agree. But after what happened to Lewis and Mitchell, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that the Dogs could offer him more years than the Hawks could. I’m intrigued to see it play out. Where there is smoke there is often fire.
    EHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh......... nah. No thanks. For for his age. Hard pass.

Q: Any update on whether the Dogs are still the favourites to get Josh Bruce and Alex Keath?

The Dogs are heavy favourites to get Josh Bruce. My belief is that will probably get done. Keath is Saints or Dogs, but highly doubt he will be at Crows.
    I'm so emotionally invested in the Hawks getting their man I can't believe they're not mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Morris Q&A:

Nobody is giving up a first round pick for a 31 year old (before next season) Issac Smith. Even crazy Vossy circa 2009 wouldn't do that deal.

Interesting Morris makes no mention of the Hawks in relation to Keath. Seems a very small rumour that has not spread at all so there may not be anything to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Nobody is giving up a first round pick for a 31 year old (before next season) Issac Smith. Even crazy Vossy circa 2009 wouldn't do that deal.

Interesting Morris makes no mention of the Hawks in relation to Keath. Seems a very small rumour that has not spread at all so there may not be anything to it.
    Just goes to show what a light weight thinks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.