Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 104 of 141 FirstFirst ... 454949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Francis just re-signed so he's not on the table.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Francis just re-signed so he's not on the table.
    North have pick 25. Essendon have pick 29. Neither are any good with Mead going end of first round or so. We can offer an upgrade from pick 27 into pick 12. I'd say if we wanted him we are far better placed to get the trade done. Interesting that articles over the last few days have us chasing after Howard and this article failed to mention any interest of ours.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I listened to what Browne actually said on the radio before the tweet BAD showed above. Which was "St Kilda in the box seat for both Keath & Jones" (they don't have enough trade currency at this point for both players plus Hill, plus Ryder so I'm not sure "box seat" is accurate to describe acquiring them all) and also "I think Keath is leaning towards St Kilda". He "thinks"... "leaning towards''... leave a lot of doubt. Then by the tweet it's "firming". I'm happy to call this doubt filled, weak worded evolving brain fart as garbage. Another case of wanting to be first with certain news, than slower and completely accurate. What will be, will be.
    Then another tweet trying correct a Triple M tweet (..really..) of what he actually said, to establish he’s at best not sure, or just full of shit ... :

‘Isaac Smith will stay at Hawthorn despite trade interest / speculation. Keath remains a chance to nominate / prefer saints, despite being closely linked to dogs’

So ‘Saints are in the box seat for Keath’, ‘Keath leaning to St Kilda’... evolves to... St Kilda firming, evolves to... Dogs are closely linked to Keath but there’s a ‘chance’ Keath likes Saints.

There’s a chance he struck down with elephantiasis and it career over. Did his alleged source say there’s a one in a million chance and he responded with “so your telling me there’s a chance”? I don’t think I’ve seen someone in the media spend a day walking back their guesses.

In all I’ve reversed since no one is saying what Browne said, not even Browne. Keath is still on.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight, Landsberger declared on Friday night: “Zak Jones will play at St Kilda next year.

“I think he met them recently and he’s already done a medical at the Saints and I think the Swans are pretty happy to deal him. He hasn’t finished in the top 10 of the best and fairest for the past couple of seasons, he can turn the ball over and he’s obviously out of contract as well.”

Landsberger said the deal would likely get done for a second-round selection. The Saints, who don’t currently hold a pick in either the second or third round, would likely acquire a pick “around the mark” from the Western Bulldogs as compensation for losing key forward Josh Bruce.

7. Likes Grantysghost, Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Speaking on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight, Landsberger declared on Friday night: “Zak Jones will play at St Kilda next year.

“I think he met them recently and he’s already done a medical at the Saints and I think the Swans are pretty happy to deal him. He hasn’t finished in the top 10 of the best and fairest for the past couple of seasons, he can turn the ball over and he’s obviously out of contract as well.”

Landsberger said the deal would likely get done for a second-round selection. The Saints, who don’t currently hold a pick in either the second or third round, would likely acquire a pick “around the mark” from the Western Bulldogs as compensation for losing key forward Josh Bruce.
    I’m liking the consensus that our 2nd rounder will be used for Bruce. Pick 12 isn’t being mentioned anywhere.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I’m liking the consensus that our 2nd rounder will be used for Bruce. Pick 12 isn’t being mentioned anywhere.
    Ralphy was a bit cheeky suggesting our pick 41 (tied to St Kilda) might do it.

Pick 30 feels about right. I’m happy to throw in picks 41, 46 & 84 for their 2020 second rounder. We win by avoiding draft points deficit next year, and they get picks for Jones, Ryder, Gray and holding onto pick 5 whilst dealing with Freo on Hill. Win-win.

Post Thanks / Like

Zac Jones is so tough. I remember just before he lost a grand final he really gave hit to Toby M. who earned a free kick for being taken too high and then won a grand final. He's easily worth everything St Kilda can give up for him even though he's not been a top ten player at his own club in recent years.

He's just so tough, you only have to look at him.

When it comes to Bruce I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by what we end up dealing for him. The trend over the past couple of years has been to hang on to draft picks and under value players unless they're top tier (I'd argue that Bruce is actually top tier). Given the Coleman medal results seem to track lower than they used to and he in a good system would probably hit the 45 mark anyway. The players who lead it are considered elite.

If we land Bruce alone we're significantly better off, providing he stays fit and everyone else does.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    When it comes to Bruce I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by what we end up dealing for him. The trend over the past couple of years has been to hang on to draft picks and under value players unless they're top tier (I'd argue that Bruce is actually top tier). Given the Coleman medal results seem to track lower than they used to and he in a good system would probably hit the 45 mark anyway. The players who lead it are considered elite.

If we land Bruce alone we're significantly better off, providing he stays fit and everyone else does.
    The Saints are in such a poor position for draft picks given their ambitious shopping list they would probably initially demand our first round pick but then be happy enough to do the deal for our pick 30. Maybe we might be able to acquire him for even a better deal but pick 30 seems to be around the mark.

We would still be in the mix for the likes of Keath or Howard and maybe one more deal
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Watching last night only confirms that we need leg speed in the front half but we knew that already. Odd that Tippa is the only player of this type we have been linked to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Watching last night only confirms that we need leg speed in the front half but we knew that already. Odd that Tippa is the only player of this type we have been linked to.
    Agreed, Butler from Richmond while no star would have been handy and Papley would be a no brainer but both look to be going elsewhere. The one I like is Brent Daniels at Great Waste of Space. Only small but is quick and shows excellent forward craft.

14. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Haven't you been on the 'age is not an excuse' train GVGjr? Given we've spent the last 2-3 years taking positives from the young'uns and losing experienced plays rather than boosting our list with any significant additions (not to downplay the worthy players we've brought in but we all know they were on the fringes at their old clubs) I'm surprised to see you make that case.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I expected you might want to be a little more...aggressive perhaps this year. Given our profile and performance this year and commitments next year it's arguably the perfect time to get our Shaun Burgoyne and Josh Gibson in the door.
    Absolutely but we need to get better quickly and we have some gaps in our playing list. I don't think looking for decent alternatives that strengthen the side changes anything from my perspective. The fact is I'm open to having younger or more established players coming in but if we can't get the players that fit what we want then lets look for other options
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Draft for talent, trade for need around that talent ... It's served us pretty well of late.

Besides, a lot of those 'big fish' reeled in by others over the same period haven't exactly delivered on their advance billing.

Let the Dodos of the world pose with their catch while we get on with the job of building a top to bottom contender.
    Hard to disagree with this philosophy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Agreed, Butler from Richmond while no star would have been handy and Papley would be a no brainer but both look to be going elsewhere. The one I like is Brent Daniels at Great Waste of Space. Only small but is quick and shows excellent forward craft.
    Not interested in Butler but I like Daniels a lot too. Looks super dangerous every time he touches it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit of a sceptic on the Darcy Moore thing for numerous reasons. That said, Collingwood do not have a first rounder and apparently need to free up $650,000-$750,000 thousand to secure their star players. If they want to bring in top end draftees to replace ageing/retired players and need to find a big chunk of salary cap, then maybe there's a conversation about Moore after all. If his hamstrings passed a medical.

Post Thanks / Like

Stevo today saying Ryder "locked in" for St Kilda and everyone says the same for Zak Jones. And most likely to get Sam Gray too. Hill with pick 5 (and balancing out) as well. Currently picks 5, 55 & 67. They need some help...

We get Bruce and give them 30, 41, 46 & 84.

They would now have 5 (Hill), 30 (Jones), 41 (Ryder), 46 (Gray), 55 (draft 1), 67 (draft 2) & 84 (draft 3) (or similar)

Dogs get St Kilda's 2020 2nd Rounder (with Bruce). Seems like a good win-win for both clubs.