Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Naughton says hello with 7 votes.
    He's a KPF. ..
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    West is also another option - I’d be training him in the forwards group all summer. Let him do his apprenticeship there and then he can transition into mid.
    Good call.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He's a KPF. ..
    Whoops
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

POPULAR PIE GAINING MORE INTEREST

Collingwood forward Jamie Elliott may have played his last game in black and white with four Victorian rivals in the race for him, reports 7 News.

The 27-year-old Elliott kicked one goal in the Magpies’ heartbreaking Preliminary Final loss to GWS and has a two-year deal on the table from his current club.

But while his preference is reportedly to stay if possible, longer and more lucrative contracts are available elsewhere.

Melbourne is said to have put a three-year deal out there for Elliott but their offer could easily be usurped by one of three rivals with more salary cap space.

Hawthorn, the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne would be able to give the largest offers if they come to the table.

Elliott played 16 games this year after missing the entire 2016 and 2018 campaigns through injury, but has kicked over 1.5 goals a game when fit over his 105-match career.

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These posts linking us to Elliott are just ridiculous. There is nothing in them that provides any credibility. It's just Player A is on the market & the Bulldogs 'would be able to give the largest offers' "Tom Browne started it and the others are now recycling. It's really pathetic journalism.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

7. Likes azabob, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    These posts linking us to Elliott are just ridiculous. There is nothing in them that provides any credibility. It's just Player A is on the market & the Bulldogs 'would be able to give the largest offers' "Tom Browne started it and the others are now recycling. It's really pathetic journalism.
    Spot on Doctor, spot on.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Sam Edmund today only mentioned Melbourne as the main other club. Possibly very early stage chat by North. But that's it.

I compared Martin & Elliott on Footywire though. Interesting comparison, despite no link to us.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S

Post Thanks / Like

It gets worse every year, make up 100s of trade stories with no basis and get one right and then claim inside knowledge.
    All about getting readers and click bait.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree Doc, they're putting two and two together to create a story
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly they are just filling in content with stories like the Elliot one but at least the article is transparent and not falsely linking us as having made an offer.

We were always going to be linked to every player under the sun once Boyd retired. Just enjoy and discuss or ignore.

The media just make this stuff up rhetoric has been done to death, does it really need to be trotted out everytime we post something for discussion here?

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Keath has had a couple of BOG in Brownlow
    He won the showdown medal this year, I assume he got votes for that game.
    The guy is a seriously good footballer.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    It’s not about the mechanics of where they sit in the attacking half. It’s not about how mobile Naughton and Schache are either it’s about our ability to defend the ground. The ball can’t exit our forward 50 quickly with the assertive defensive positions we take and having 3 talls is a potential disaster for our team defence. It especially can’t exit quickly up the corridor or via a switch before we have a chance to close exits.

I think we should still get him because it gives us depth in a crucial area but unless we change our defensive method or get some serious leg speed around them I don’t see us being able to play 3 talls.
    Naughton is our best defensive forward. He should be excluded from any "top heavy" conversation.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Naughton is our best defensive forward. He should be excluded from any "top heavy" conversation.
    There is more to it than effort. Unless we completely change the way we defend we can’t go in with 3 talls and 2/3 medium players not known for their ability at ground level. Yes, Naughton is decent for a big man but it’s not the same as aggressively closing space. This is not just at the source but also ahead of the ball.

If we are efficient and mark the ball it won’t have as big an impact but when it’s get to the big games the ball hits the deck. We need to be able to win that territory game and create time for our players to set up behind the ball. If we go this way I hope I am extremely wrong but my experiences tell me our mix won’t work with them all in. It doesn’t need to though as we have enough versatility to throw things around. Worst case scenario we drop a good player.

I do think we need to be careful that we don’t make our list too tall again. Two KPP would be good during trade period but I think 3 just means we will have too many on our list.

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Hun:

Jamie Elliott (Collingwood)

Plenty of suitors, not much cap space at the Pies. It’s a guesstimate, but if Collingwood offered two years at $350,000 and Melbourne offered four years at $400,000, it’s a heck of a lot of guaranteed coin to pass up.

I think I’m a bit interested on 4 years $400,000+. Average afl wage is about $380,000.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 25-09-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The only Pie Im interested in us picking up is Darcy Moore - Id throw him what he wanted if it meant getting someone like him in our backline
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

20. Likes 1eyedog liked this post