Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Great result. Pity Jack Martin didn't come to the same conclusion as Bruce and Keath.
    Really looking forward to how Sam Power gets these deals done as well as how he positions us for next years NGA and Father son picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Do we really need our future first given our access to JUH? Could we get creative here to hold on to a first round this year?
    I have had similar thoughts but Jamarra & Co are going to cost a ****load of points. If we trade out our first, Jamarra on his own would put us in deficit most likely and to this point in time, no club has been in a position of taking on more NGA/Father-Son players while in deficit, so who knows if the AFL would even allow us to claim Stevens, McPherson etc if we got rid of our first pick.

So I've cooled on the idea and kind of accepted that 2019 is about plugging gaps in our list with mature talent via trade, and trying to find some gems with later picks (ideally a small forward).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great news about Keath and Bruce.

Giddy up boys.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news they both announced today. No more speculation and we can build out our trade period plans formally. Wouldn’t be surprised with a few other movements in/out. Hopefully we’re stockpiling next years picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep great news, two of what we need. Great outcome - now to wheel and deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You missed my post BT
    So I've given it some thought. I need some parameters for a theoretical excerise. So say Keath & Bruce are worth pick 31. Then we remove pick 13. So there's two options:

A) A player of some value requests a trade to Adelaide, St Kilda or other club but for circa pick 30. No one is rumoured to be seeking a trade though. So I'm not betting on this. But it can't be 100% ruled out.

B) We combined picks 41, 46 & 48 for a pick in the high 20's and a third rounder next year. I've played with this model off and on this year as a means of getting Port Adelaide's Pick 27. Mainly as their Father/Son Mead is going to burn through it. But if Powell-Pepper, Howard, Ryder & Gray all leave they'll get flushed with picks again. They also have a string of picks in the 60's. This option only gives us a third rounder next year, but if we think we could manage then there's something possible. Ryder & Gray will be after our proposed pick swap (if they're passed 50's then useless). If Howard does not get traded, or is packaged with SPP to Essendon for Fantasia and some pick, then the next pick when Mead is bid on with be pick 27. Picks 41, 46 & 48 is better in draft points when Mead is bid on. There's so many moving parts in this is brain numbing, but the answer is that there's some possibility in very particular circumstances that a club could trade down (as we will do next year). Hypothetically, then, we could get pick 27 to add to our 31 and trade them for Bruce & Keath and not use pick 13 in these deals.

The same could go for Freo if Melbourne over-pay for Langdon. Say they offer up pick 22 or 23 (after compo). Freo have Henry as an NGA who will burn through that pick. That might look for more points to cover it. But I'd target them for a 2020 2nd rounder. But there's an outside chance of them too. That assumes they hand back their pick 24 to St Kilda in the Hill trade.

I wouldn't bet on much of that happening, but it's conceivable that some chance exists to trade Bruce & Keath and keep pick 13.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Thanks bornadog, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So I've given it some thought. I need some parameters for a theoretical excerise. So say Keath & Bruce are worth pick 31. Then we remove pick 13. So there's two options:

A) A player of some value requests a trade to Adelaide, St Kilda or other club but for circa pick 30. No one is rumoured to be seeking a trade though. So I'm not betting on this. But it can't be 100% ruled out.

B) We combined picks 41, 46 & 48 for a pick in the high 20's and a third rounder next year. I've played with this model off and on this year as a means of getting Port Adelaide's Pick 27. Mainly as their Father/Son Mead is going to burn through it. But if Powell-Pepper, Howard, Ryder & Gray all leave they'll get flushed with picks again. They also have a string of picks in the 60's. This option only gives us a third rounder next year, but if we think we could manage then there's something possible. Ryder & Gray will be after our proposed pick swap (if they're passed 50's then useless). If Howard does not get traded, or is packaged with SPP to Essendon for Fantasia and some pick, then the next pick when Mead is bid on with be pick 27. Picks 41, 46 & 48 is better in draft points when Mead is bid on. There's so many moving parts in this is brain numbing, but the answer is that there's some possibility in very particular circumstances that a club could trade down (as we will do next year). Hypothetically, then, we could get pick 27 to add to our 31 and trade them for Bruce & Keath and not use pick 13 in these deals.

The same could go for Freo if Melbourne over-pay for Langdon. Say they offer up pick 22 or 23 (after compo). Freo have Henry as an NGA who will burn through that pick. That might look for more points to cover it. But I'd target them for a 2020 2nd rounder. But there's an outside chance of them too.

I wouldn't bet on much of that happening, but it's conceivable that some chance exists to trade Bruce & Keath and keep pick 13.
    Sounds difficult. I have a gut feeling we may lose a player.

BTW, we stated we wanted an indigenous player. I wonder if this will still happen
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, we stated we wanted an indigenous player. I wonder if this will still happen
    Or we use pick 13 to secure Keath & Bruce. Keep all the players we want. I don't mind this.

It's naive of anyone of us to think clubs aren't running the managers of the likes of Wallis & McLean promising them games and a guaranteed midfield role. I don't think anyone's leaving, but other clubs must be trying to get our midfielders out.

We may have to wait for JUH to build an indigenous brand around him. He's got the talent, X factor and great character to do it.

A fun 13 months ahead.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Read a rumour on BF that we'll target a few indigenous players with late picks (with most of our early ones traded in some manner) which might have to be the solution given we've had difficulty getting anyone established into the club

12. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo said two interesting things last night on the Front Bar.

Firstly that we'd been courting Bruce and Keath for some time.

Secondly that cryptic comment about being impartial re the GF sprint and Petruccelle - I wonder what that meant?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Secondly that cryptic comment about being impartial re the GF sprint and Petruccelle - I wonder what that meant?
    Can you clarify this please?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Can you clarify this please?
    IIRC the topic of the GF sprint came up.

Cannot recall who raised it, but Bevo picked Petruccelle to win but then said something odd like if he was impartial he shouldn't make that call, or something like that.

Others may have a better more accurate recollection.

Post Thanks / Like

Would we want Petruccelle and if so what is his trade worth?

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo namechecking Georges St Pierre, kind of challenging Leon Cameron to a mixed martial arts fight and then making cryptic references to Petruccelle for seemingly no reason while knocking back a pint is why I love him. Weird cat.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Would we want Petruccelle and if so what is his trade worth?
    Yep. Good young talent.

Picked up originally for pick 38, from Northern Knights. Pretty good year this year.

If we pretend Pick 13 gets Keath & Bruce. That leaves our pick 31 as our best pick.

Geelong are demanding three picks inside 30. If WCE do that with their pick 13, 22 & 32 - then they only have pick 59 (passed 60 after compo) after such a trade.

Perhaps 31 & 49 gets it done (2nd & 3rd rounders). Gets them to 31, 49 & 59 with Tim Kelly. Get more than their original investment returned in the 30's and get a third rounder.

The only way to responsibly offer more is if they wanted a fringe WA player (ie Lynch), or if the Saints accepted 31 (& 49) for Bruce, and the pick 22 (24 after likely compo) from Adelaide goes to WCE with them exchanging picks next year in our points favour.

A super quick, talented, small forward who tackles and averages over a goal a game and over .5 goal assists would be perfect. Seemingly a 'plan b' to missing Martin. Or, Bevo is having a good time playing with everyone.