Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If the $900,000 was in the cap, I would absolutely agree with you. If we offered him the Martin contract, 5 X $700,000 in the cap and then outside of the cap roughly an equal share of the ASA allowance, about $200,000, I could live with that. But he would need to actually earn the extra by being our indigenous ambassador and all that it entails, marketing, indigenous engagement across the Western Suburbs and western Victoria and being the face of, and active Ambasador of, our NGA program.

In that perspective, the money is what we offered Jack Martin and an extra figure outside the cap up to $200,000 for real services rendered to help us build an indigenous program and pathway into the club. Hill is a gun and exactly the type we needs and I rate over Martin. So there's a hypothetical argument for it. But it's all completely hypothetical.
    We have 10 days of hypothetical bullshit in the media anyways so I would rather read yours BT. Keep them coming!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When we did the Schache deal, it was done in the last 20 minutes. I hope we can do the deals this year a lot earlier.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When we did the Schache deal, it was done in the last 20 minutes. I hope we can do the deals this year a lot earlier.
    Same here but I wouldn't count on it
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

This is why it should be mon-Friday......it’s a circus the way it is, and how much has been completed since Monday? Pretty much bugger all.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    This is why it should be mon-Friday......it’s a circus the way it is, and how much has been completed since Monday? Pretty much bugger all.
    Yep. But we need another trade period right before the season... For more of this...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the trade period close down over the weekend or do the still all meet up ?
    I know managers and recruiters will meet up, but wondering if you are able to lodge a trade over the weekend.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I know managers and recruiters will meet up, but wondering if you are able to lodge a trade over the weekend.
    I don't believe you can officially lodge one over the weekend

11. Thanks KT31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Their ears are bleeding by the time the weekend is over, a lot of haggling.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Haha I reckon most of next weeks trades will be agreed upon over the weekend.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs have already made inquiries about the potential availability of Gold Coast young gun Ben King as they join a long list of Victorian clubs hoping to lure him home to Victoria.

Sam Landsberger, Herald Sun
    October 11, 2019 6:55pm

Western Bulldogs want Ben King with the Gold Coast young gun already high on the club’s list of targets for next year’s trade period.
    St Kilda football boss Simon Lethlean put King’s future on the agenda this week when he declared the Saints wanted to reunite the 202cm swingman with his twin brother, Max, at Moorabbin.
    “Ben is playing at Gold Coast next year, and if he doesn’t sign and looks to move next year we’ll talk to him,” Lethlean said.

But the Herald Sun can reveal that the Dogs’ interest goes back several months and is well-known to the King camp.
    Suns list manager Craig Cameron on Friday confirmed he had tabled a contract extension to King, which remained unsigned.
    But Cameron said he was “confident” King would recommit and sources close to the Haileybury product agreed that he was a good chance to stay put.

However, should King decide to join the Suns exodus then it is no fait accompli that he would choose the Saints.
    King’s versatility — he has starred at both ends of the ground in junior football — is well-suited to coach Luke Beveridge and the Dogs are armed with plenty of salary cap space.

While it would be a romantic football story for the King brothers to play together, some have privately questioned whether that would be the best fit for the boys. Max is likely to make his AFL debut in Round 1 next season as a full-forward and if Ben also wants to make his name as a goalkicker there mightn’t be room in the same attack.

Ben’s Rising Star nomination came after he drilled four goals against Essendon late in the season, while he kicked multiple goals in four other games.

King toured Whitten Oval just days before last November’s draft and told the Herald Sun he wanted to become a Bulldog so he could stay at home.

“I’d prefer to stay with my family in Melbourne and get to the Western Bulldogs (pick 7), but I’m really just keen to play some AFL footy and wherever I fall, that’s life,” he said.

While the Dogs were thrilled to get ready-made midfielder Bailey Smith at No.7, they had King slightly ahead on their talent board.
    Smith is proving to be a fine pick — he played all 23 games and finished fourth in the Rising Star — but if Gold Coast didn’t pounce at No.6, King would’ve been a Bulldog.

The Dogs suspect they are one of several Victorian clubs to flag their interest in King, while their list build should be firmly on track by Wednesday night’s trade deadline.

The club did not budget for the departures of Tom Boyd (retired) and Marcus Adams (Brisbane Lions) although they are set to fill those holes with Josh Bruce (St Kilda) and Alex Keath (Adelaide).

The Dogs envisage Bruce playing as the deepest forward next season with Aaron Naughton at centre half-forward and Josh Schache pushing up to the wings.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

15. Thanks azabob, bornadog, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I called King’s name first near the start of my early list management thread before the heat got turned up on him. For the reasons above. But... I have no idea how we’d get that done. None whatsoever. Outside of handing over a good player.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting that we had him slightly ahead of Bailey. It seemed like they were a toss of the coin leading into the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Would we trade Ugle-Jamarra for King?

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance we could pull a Boyd and get him after one year?

Post Thanks / Like

Hell yeah. He looked electric at times for the GC.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -