Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If trading for King means missing out on Stevens and Macpherson, well sorry kids.

Will never happen but a spine of Naughton, King, Jamarra & English is pretty mouth watering to consider.
    Ben King was the brother that played predominantly back wasn’t he? Max was the forward until he did his knee?

Hypothetical: Naughton kicks 40 goals next year, takes mark of the year. King comes to the dogs, we get Ugle-Hagan.

Do we play either King or Naugty as a permanent back or have the 2 best swingmen in the country?

Post Thanks / Like

According to the seven news we are in a four way trade with Saints, Swans and Port regarding Bruce, Ryder, Jones and Howard.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Has our tact changed this year because there’s gettable tall options who can actually play and add value?
    You can run that same logic every year but we traded Adams and knew Boyd was going to be risky throughout the year and we didn't address it Looks like we are doing that now though
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

From Peter Ryan of the Age:

By Peter Ryan
    October 12, 2019 — 4.31pm

The Western Bulldogs remain adamant that pick 32 is enough to prise contracted St Kilda forward Josh Bruce out of the Saints who remain empty handed ahead of Wednesday's trade period deadline.
    The Saints, who hold picks 12, 18 and 82 remain hopeful of landing an earlier pick for the 27-year-old who kicked 36 goals this season, however they will need to start completing some deals soon as they have Brad Hill, Zak Jones, Paddy Ryder and Dougal Howard wanting to join the Saints.

Meanwhile the Bulldogs believe a third round pick in the vicinity of the pick 45 and 51 is a reasonable deal for Adelaide's 28-year-old intercept defender Alex Keath after the 27-year-old former cricketer chose to join the Bulldogs after negotiations with the Crows over a new contract fell short of his expectations.

The Crows are wanting to argue that the Western Bulldogs' decision to trade Marcus Adams for pick 32 and a future third round pick to the Lions last season should frame discussions around Keath although Adams was contracted and a year younger.
    Keath is also expected to have a delayed start to pre-season after he required surgery after suffering a stress fracture in his lower leg however the Bulldogs hope he will be available at the start of the season.

Full article HERE
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

5. Thanks bulldogtragic, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    According to the seven news we are in a four way trade with Saints, Swans and Port regarding Bruce, Ryder, Jones and Howard.
    I wonder who is driving that complicated arrangement. Typically it's one club that does most of the work
    I also wonder what the Swans want for Jones? We roughly know what the Saints want for Bruce

The Swans pick 25 started as the Saints and might loop around back to them in some complicated deal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You can run that same logic every year but we traded Adams and knew Boyd was going to be risky throughout the year and we didn't address it Looks like we are doing that now though
    Yes, I get it, though why would we give up a list spot for either a ruck or a defender, or a key position player if they're not as good as the options we already had?

Adams leaving probably wasn't a complete shock to the club when it eventuated, but that might have come after we tried to get some actual talent onto the list.

We went with Gardiner in the mid-season draft to provide cover, and that was bruise free as we're not obligated to keep him on the list. Who out there was better than Gardner that we could have offered genuine opportunity to during last year's post season?

I understand your point of view, but I don't understand why we'd search for players we're not going to play when we already have players we're not going to play who are better?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

And happily traded Roughy for a useless pick.something I'm still not entirely over.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

9. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Meanwhile the Bulldogs believe a third round pick in the vicinity of the pick 45 and 51 is a reasonable deal for Adelaide's 28-year-old intercept defender Alex Keath after the 27-year-old former cricketer chose to join the Bulldogs after negotiations with the Crows over a new contract fell short of his expectations.
    I know The Age is up against it budget-wise but did they have to fire absolutely every sub-editor?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes jeemak, bulldogtragic, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Ben King was the brother that played predominantly back wasn’t he? Max was the forward until he did his knee?

Hypothetical: Naughton kicks 40 goals next year, takes mark of the year. King comes to the dogs, we get Ugle-Hagan.

Do we play either King or Naugty as a permanent back or have the 2 best swingmen in the country?
    Both. If King can do what Naughton can forward, then he can play forward, and Naughton can take his game reading , intercepting and spoiling down back. Or maybe King goes down back as that really tall defender.

Need to get him first.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    My guess:

Port: 13, 36 DVI (51 & 53) - for - 18 (Howard & Ryder), 29
    Dogs: Bruce (29), 18 & keep 32 - for - 13, 51 & 53
    Swans: 29 - for - Zak Jones
    Saints: Jones, Howard, Ryder - for - Bruce/Pick 29, Pick 18

Port get a pick in before 18 where F/S Mead May be bid. And pick 36 in points still cover Mead with later 60’s picks. Ensures them 3 x 1sts (inc. Mead)
    Dogs get Bruce for 29, but trade down 13 to 18, but then have picks 18, 32, 44 (Keath) & 89. More below.
    Swans get a late 20’s picks for Jones. Currency and a good price with other trades.
    Saints get a late 20’s Pick for Bruce - flipped into Zak Jones, and use pick 18 on Howard & Ryder. Still have pick 12 (Hill ++) & 76 or future (Butler). Get all their targets assuming 12 & Acres and more gets Hill.

Before dogs: 13, 32, 44, 51 & 53, 89
    After dogs: 18, 32, 89 & Keath (44) & Bruce - Bruce costs a 5 pick downgrade 1st round, picks 51 & 53. Great outcome.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 12-10-2019 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Typos
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Thanks dadsgirl16, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes chef, Grantysghost, DOG GOD, KT31, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While I have a lot of faith in Sam Power, who has been very impressive in his short time with us, the deals he needs to complete given the reluctance to include pick #13 and probably any future picks in 2020 in rounds one or two will require some savvy work for him to complete.
    I suspect someone is going to have to fold and given Adelaide don't really have anyone to pull rank on their list manager that might be a stumbling block

Would you be happy for us to walk away from either the Keath or Bruce trades given their commitment to us?
    Is they any other reasonable options that we might bring in as a plan B or C type scenario?

I think we can get both deals done but I won't be disappointed if Sam can't get make it work. We are clearly working to a plan and he's sure to have the right to say no we won't pay more than we plan to

Intriguing few days ahead of us

Post Thanks / Like

While I have a lot of faith in Sam Power, who has been very impressive in his short time with us, the deals he needs to complete given the reluctance to include pick #13 and probably any future picks in 2020 in rounds one or two will require some savvy work for him to complete.
    I suspect someone is going to have to fold and given Adelaide don't really have anyone to pull rank on their list manager that might be a stumbling block

Would you be happy for us to walk away from either the Keath or Bruce trades given their commitment to us?
    Is they any other reasonable options that we might bring in as a plan B or C type scenario?

I think we can get both deals done but I won't be disappointed if Sam can't get make it work. We are clearly working to a plan and he's sure to have the right to say no we won't pay more than we plan to

Intriguing few days ahead of us
    That's a good point. With the slaughter at Adelaide in the last couple of weeks there may be nobody around to play devil's advocate.

They do seem to be a little bit all over the place going from pick 48 to 32 then not really committing to anything.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

But Keath is uncontracted and wants out of there. Plus he has a pin in his shin Adelaide didn’t want there.

Keath is leaving. The question is whether it’s for pick 44 or nothing. He can go to the PSD is able to put our price on his head. He can refuse other medicals. Most clubs don’t take part in it anyway, but we could leave a spot open.

I’d prefer Dodoro Jr to acknowledge reality and for us to get Keath in soon. But we will learn soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Before dogs: 13, 32, 44, 51 & 53, 89
    After dogs: 18, 32, 89 & Keath (44) & Bruce - Bruce costs a 5 pick downgrade 1st round, picks 51 & 53. Great outcome.
    It is a great outcome if we can drop to 18 and still get the player we are obviously targeting...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    no chance
    I get that Jamarra looks good against kids but King has done it in the big time as an 18 year old. Every day of the week you take that over anything that happens in junior footy.