Likes Likes:  663
Page 7 of 141 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

The age on Smith is a no from me .
    Martin’s got great tools to be a star , but he’s been disappointing so far

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not that worried about Smith's age, that's 31 at the end of next year-my only slight concern that he may be subject to old man soft tissue injuries like St Kilda got sucked in with Hannaberry-but he looks and plays like a young man still.

Martin would be huge for us. He has all the tools we need, pace, class, footy nous and surgical footskills.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

No and no my god what a waste of cash and picks! Smith will be nearly 32 and past his best and Martin is inconsistent and lazy. Please don't let this be true!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Sorry the only reason why I'm not keen on Smith is his age. He turns 31 next year, but yes he's a gun.
    Very good point I didn't realise thought he was the other side of 30. Martin it is

Post Thanks / Like

A yes for me with Jack Martin if he’s open to coming to us and we weren’t forced to pay overs.
    Genuine elite talent who could prosper under our developing leaders.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not averse to either Smith or Martin at the right price.
    I'm just not convinced Martin would be on the table for a fair price, and a fair price would not be our 1st pick in 2019. Not for his output to date.

Post Thanks / Like

No for Smith from me, we are miles off a premiership window so all hes doing is stealing a kids spot for a season or two.

Martin fills a need and is in the right age group.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

If Smith was pick 50-70 like Lewis & Mitchell, and it’s really just salary. Then I’m in.

Martin seems flashy, but doesn’t score a lot (4.10 this year, 10 games). I’d like some more goal scoring power.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

With the Tomlinson media comments last week. We’d be allegedly hoping for Tomlinson (KPD), Smith (Wing), Martin (mid).

Tommo is a FA. Smith must be a late pick like Lewis & Mitchell. Martin isn’t worth Pick 5, so maybe a downgrade & 2nd rounder. So we’d have a strong draft presence too.

That would pretty much use our cap and cap bank.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we really need another Left foot Hawk has been.

On a serious note, we don't need a player like Smith, however we can use some outside pace like Martin.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the thought of getting Martin. Heads into what is likely his best years.
    Isaac Smith is a very good footballer - his age means that we have to be careful about what the cost is.

Both players cover the ground well and add some polish - if we think we aren't that far from contending again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If Smith was pick 50-70 like Lewis & Mitchell, and it’s really just salary. Then I’m in.
    Same. Also the Hawks owe us a friendly trade for Smith as payback for us giving them a 31yo future Norm Smith medalist and a triple premiership player for bugger-all in a trade.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call Martin soft but there's not much of him, he struggles with the physical side of the game
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

With the emergence of himmelberg and Darcy forgerty in the wings , Lynch in fwd 50 and greenwood and O’Brien chop out , Josh Jenkins days are numbered .he be at best insurance cover for these guys by 2022. Can’t ruck, does he play 100% of game time like ben brown ?
    I be throwing kitchen sink at Ben brown or Peter Wright . We need a Rory Lobb type which means 800k a year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Sorry the only reason why I'm not keen on Smith is his age. He turns 31 next year, but yes he's a gun.
    He's a pass given he's probably only got 2-3 years left.

Bevo certainly loves he's left footed Hawthorn player doesn't he!