Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 72 of 141 FirstFirst ... 22626364656667686970717273747576777879808182122 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

I’d not bothered to think about Bain’s being the guy that traded Bruce in the first time. If anyone is an authority on his time as a KPD at gws, strengths and weaknesses, development as a forward etc. Its probably Bains. So if we are serious, it’s with a lot of consideration from a unique source on Bruce.

At the right price I don’t mind it. When Liam Jones was tried back by us he sucked, as a forward he sucked, but now mature as a KPD he’s flourishing. Maybe Bruce can do the same, or give us a new look forward line. 36 goals as a ‘poor’ year is a great ‘poor’ year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’d not bothered to think about Bain’s being the guy that traded Bruce in the first time. If anyone is an authority on his time as a KPD at gws, strengths and weaknesses, development as a forward etc. Its probably Bains. So if we are serious, it’s with a lot of consideration from a unique source on Bruce.

At the right price I don’t mind it. When Liam Jones was tried back by us he sucked, as a forward he sucked, but now mature as a KPD he’s flourishing. Maybe Bruce can do the same, or give us a new look forward line. 36 goals as a ‘poor’ year is a great ‘poor’ year.
    Bruce has kicked 50 goals plus too in a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

I know some Saints fans and they have no clue as to why they'd move him out. I rate him, if he's available id be on board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I know some Saints fans and they have no clue as to why they'd move him out. I rate him, if he's available id be on board.
    Given we have 2 key forwards where would he slot in best GG?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It would have to be something like our first and second round selections and even then I don't think that's a premium result for Adelaide which is what they will be after.

Keath is apparently a good chance to be traded, I'm not 100% convinced is a great fit for us but he would strengthen our list so he should be right in the mix.
    Can he play a lock down role that's the question?

Post Thanks / Like

He has the bigger body than both our key forwards so if we need someone to break a pack against tall opposition he is the one.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

He has to play back Naughton will be too good forward to go back now.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He has to play back Naughton will be too good forward to go back now.
    They can play in the same forward line. Naughton will have a license to roam up the wings, while Bruce can also chop out in the ruck meaning Naughton and Schache don’t have to. It’s a great fit.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    They can play in the same forward line. Naughton will have a license to roam up the wings, while Bruce can also chop out in the ruck meaning Naughton and Schache don’t have to. It’s a great fit.
    So we could go in with 3 tall forwards and it not be a problem? He's a reasonable back up ruckman as you have pointed out

We could also have a combination of Lloyd, Dickson, Dale, B.Smith and the other resting midfielders

Post Thanks / Like

Given we have 2 key forwards where would he slot in best GG?
    Either end I think? If you had a spine of Young, Bruce, English, Naughton, Schache it sounds pretty good to me (and trengove )

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So we could go in with 3 tall forwards and it not be a problem? He's a reasonable back up ruckman as you have pointed out

We could also have a combination of Lloyd, Dickson, Dale, B.Smith and the other resting midfielders
    3 mobile tall forwards that aren’t just tied to the goal square, yes. If we had 3 Ben Brown’s, no.

Schache, Naughton and Bruce are all mobile, Naughton especially so. I also like knowing we can swing Naughton back if required and not rely solely on Schache being our main marking target.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes GVGjr, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I looked hard enough, Saints have pick 5 and the next is 55.

However, they're linked to Hill, Tomlinson, Keath, Martin, Ryder and about 27 others.

Jack Steven might get them say pick 14-18 from Geelong. Perhaps Bruce is up for trade currency as someone they might be able to do without if they bring in Ryder etc, but say something in the second round. My first hypothetical folks:

Dogs do the Port draft points trade to acquire pick 27, we give them all three third rounders
    Dogs give 27 to St Kilda for Bruce
    Port trade Ryder to St Kilda
    Port nett an extra 470 draft points (on its own worth pick 38)
    St Kilda swap Pick 55 for Port's 66
    St Kilda give Dogs 2020 future third rounder

The plausibility question:

Port - turn pick 27 & Ryder into the equivalent of Pick 14 in draft points (The range of Mead being bid on) (still hold their first rounder) - seems OK as they are FS heavy after using their first rounder on the best available. These points guarantee and secure Mead, even going high, and the string of picks in the 60's they have can cover and guarantee Burgoyne and/or any live trading to get some return in draft points trading. A very good position to be in.

St Kilda - in effect trade Bruce for pick 27, and trade in Ryder for a 2020 Third Rounder and a very minor fourth round swap this year. They then use pick 27 on whichever trade target. - also seems like a solid win for St Kilda.

Dogs - trade out their three third rounders, to get Pick 27, on-traded to St Kilda who trade us Bruce as well as a 2020 Third Rounder to help us cover our Priority Access Kids (to cover our payment to Port this year). Seems pretty reasonable too from just a trade isolated from everything else, we would effectively flip St Kilda's third rounder this year (which we have) into St Kilda's third rounder next year when we really need the points (good result). In effect, two third rounders (draft points equal to pick 26) for Bruce is a win.

Might need some tweaking, but I want to points trade with Port. Ryder may go to St Kilda. Bruce is of our interest. Seems like something to think about.

This would leave us with Bruce and currently picks 12+ (Martin) and 30+ (Keath). Then no live picks this draft until pick 84 unless we can jag something for a contracted fringe player. Or perhaps we do something with our first rounder next year, such as trade it down in return for a pick this year. Also, Bevo has talked about holding the list together, so maybe there's a school of thought about elevating La Young and one other Khamis/Smith and only using one live pick at the draft. So there's plenty of options. Anyhoo.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 31-08-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Thanks Bulldog4life, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not watch a lot of other games but whenever I have watched st Kilda I think josh Bruce is a very good player and one of saints best. Very reliable mark and not slow.

Why would they want to give him up? What is he worth?

At 27yo still got a few good years of forward craft surely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I do not watch a lot of other games but whenever I have watched st Kilda I think josh Bruce is a very good player and one of saints best. Very reliable mark and not slow.

Why would they want to give him up? What is he worth?

At 27yo still got a few good years of forward craft surely.
    I'm with you on this one Josie, not sure why they would give him up and pin their hopes on Ben King as the article previously posted states.

He's worth an early to mid second round pick in my view, and possibly worth a try in defence if that's where he'd played previously. Got to remember that being a defender for GWS in 2012 and 2013 was pretty tough going.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

18. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

StKilda will be significant players in this years trading

The might need ti use their first round pick for Brad Hill, they will go hard to get the free agent Tomlinson and hope like crazy that teams offer more than they should for Carlisle and Bruce. It's likely they will also use next years first round pick to attract players.

They will also hope they can put together an attractive offer to the Suns for Ben King so they can have him alongside of his twin brother Max. They have plenty of cash and are putting up some names like Steven, Carlisle and Bruce to get themselves some quality draft picks to trade. Steven has been linked to a Hill and Kelly trade between the StKilda, Fremantle and Geelong

Does anyone know what sort of compensation would be fair for either Carlisle and Bruce they would likely receive?

I stand to be corrected but I don't think either of them are worth a straight up first round pick.