Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 80 of 141 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990130 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Tom Browne on Triple M this morning said Bruce has met with Bevo and Bevo has indicated we see him playing both forward and back. It's thought that Bruce would prefer to play forward only.
    Are we leaking to Browne to spite Barrett? He seems to have some good sources.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Browne on Triple M this morning said Bruce has met with Bevo and Bevo has indicated we see him playing both forward and back. It's thought that Bruce would prefer to play forward only.
    Howe moved to Collingwood to play forward. Gehrig to the saints to play back. It's a funny old world
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo seems busy of late. Meeting 2 potential players from other clubs while plotting to beat GWS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Don't we need to replace Tom Boyd as the forward/2nd ruck player?
    We can it just means one of the other talls doesn’t play. Nothing wrong with having depth in those positions either just not sure about sacrificing what is basically a 1 in 10 year salary cap position to add depth. If they think he can play back easily then I’m ok with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Bevo seems busy of late. Meeting 2 potential players from other clubs while plotting to beat GWS.
    He plays where Bevo wants him to play
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still not convinced we could play 3 tall forward targets even if they are highly mobile. Naughton's the best of the three defensively, Schache, I think is still learning defensive running angles and has only begun learning to play his position. He can't be relied on in the short term. Not sure about Bruce. If even one of the three does not have the ability to apply high-level pressure a fleet-footed opposition half back line would move it out of there pretty efficiently.

I just think one of them will go back, or become a designated swingman.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Schache, I think is still learning defensive running angles and has only begun learning to play his position. He can't be relied on in the short term.
    Isn't this an outstanding reason to get a proven key forward in? The fact is that if we don't get Bruce we go into another season with our only two competent key forwards being Naughton and Schache, who have played a promising season together but as you have stated above can't exactly be relied upon.

This group of three would give us 3 big key forwards who are all athletic and are different. Bruce can play deep, Naughton can lead up the wings, Schache can play the same role someone like Gunston did alongside Buddy and Roughead. Will we be too immobile? I don't think so, none of those guys are particularly slow, and our gameplan and the way we press is less about individuals having pace and more about an overall team ability to suffocate a team of options.

It frees us up to send Bruce or Naughton into defence if needed, any of the three into the ruck as needed, and means one more dangerous key forward to cover.

As for Schache's development specifically, if he is good enough he will find a way to make it work, and I am going to back him in that matched up against the third best key defender and being the last guy opposition teams will send a third man in for will allow him to have a significant impact and continue his development.

We have been crying out for a good key forward my entire life, we are finally presented with the opportunity to have not one but two and maybe even three of them and people don't want that? I get it it's overwhelming but I am more than happy to give it a go.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Great effort by BT, but would you bet your house on it?
    No I need my house. That said we've seen teams like Essendon and Harthorn turn their limited picks into multiple highly rated players so I think it's possible and from what I've seen we have some currency to play with if we can strike the right deals. If we trade our first for Martin, our second for Keath and turn a couple of thirds into a second or have a good third we might be able to get Bruce since the Saints are pushing him out. It probably won't be that simple but I think the currency is roughly right.

I'd also be able to live with going into deficit when we pickup JUH.
    Last edited by hujsh; 05-09-2019 at 04:24 PM.

9. Likes bulldogtragic, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'd also be able to live with going into deficit when we pickup JUH.
    When is the AFL review of the Next Gen Academy done? It’d be just like the AFL to screw us out of a potential superstar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    When is the AFL review of the Next Gen Academy done? It’d be just like the AFL to screw us out of a potential superstar
    Hawthorn & Collingwood also have highly rated NGA prospects next season, which helps our cause IMO. Imagine Eddie blowing a valve if the Pies lose out in any way.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    It isn’t about whether Schache can get up and down the ground. It is the ability to pressure the opposition in our forward half that will be the issue. You can play with 3 talls but not when your method of defending relies so heavily on source pressure. You would want to be marking it a lot.

No issue with Bruce as a player and yes it adds to our versatility. I just question whether taking up part of our war chest on a player who just replaces an established player is the wisest way to use it.
    The point is Naughton can pressure like a small player. He's quick and agile, but most importantly he has intent to defend and pressure. There's also three more forward spots that can be filled by players who are quick, agile and are intent on pressuing, defending and tackling.

I think the issue is being overblown, but happy to agree to disagree.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I don't feel like articles such as this help much

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-...sed-in-history

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I don't feel like articles such as this help much

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-...sed-in-history
    Ah well, change the rules for 2021.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can’t see them changing the rules for 2020 as the upcoming trade period will be heavily dependent on the points bidding system being in place. If the top 10 of the 2020 draft is filled with players off limits to other clubs, I can definitely see it all changing for 2021 which would be fine because we’ll have JUH!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

17. Likes bulldogtragic, strebla, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I read the rules may change at the end of next year for 2021
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.