Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 81 of 141 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182838485868788899091131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I can’t see them changing the rules for 2020 as the upcoming trade period will be heavily dependent on the points bidding system being in place. If the top 10 of the 2020 draft is filled with players off limits to other clubs, I can definitely see it all changing for 2021 which would be fine because we’ll have JUH!
    Agree and also relationships are in place between the kids and their future clubs. Not the main reason not to change, but something to consider. There will be a lot of whinging/pressure applied by the sounds though. I guess if we weren't one of the major benefactors I'd be a little annoyed myself. But I'm not! Bring on JUH!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Isn't this an outstanding reason to get a proven key forward in? The fact is that if we don't get Bruce we go into another season with our only two competent key forwards being Naughton and Schache, who have played a promising season together but as you have stated above can't exactly be relied upon.

This group of three would give us 3 big key forwards who are all athletic and are different. Bruce can play deep, Naughton can lead up the wings, Schache can play the same role someone like Gunston did alongside Buddy and Roughead. Will we be too immobile? I don't think so, none of those guys are particularly slow, and our gameplan and the way we press is less about individuals having pace and more about an overall team ability to suffocate a team of options.

It frees us up to send Bruce or Naughton into defence if needed, any of the three into the ruck as needed, and means one more dangerous key forward to cover.

As for Schache's development specifically, if he is good enough he will find a way to make it work, and I am going to back him in that matched up against the third best key defender and being the last guy opposition teams will send a third man in for will allow him to have a significant impact and continue his development.

We have been crying out for a good key forward my entire life, we are finally presented with the opportunity to have not one but two and maybe even three of them and people don't want that? I get it it's overwhelming but I am more than happy to give it a go.
    You make great points. I realise our players are different but who else plays three big forwards? GWS? They're forward half has been terrible this season with the exception of Cameron. The are crying out for a high pressure small up there. Their best forward Greene has had to play midfield because they have been decimated there. Everyone is looking for small forwards ATM and for good reason. I'm a traditionalist but not to the point that I think it's not worth trying, but our mid-sized players are the ones doing the damage. I think we have a great balance at the moment and I think supporters of this club in particular tend to over-inflate the value of an ok tall forward and that's all Bruce is.

Time will tell I suppose.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

GWS, WC, Brisbane all play 3 key position types up forward.

I dare say one of Bruce or Naughton will be switched down back (when required) if Bruce does come and it means we have more ruck cover. There’s nothing I hate more than seeing Dunks take ruck contests with Timmy off the ground. He’s one of our best ground level bulls and we’ve got him tied up in a ruck contest!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn & Collingwood also have highly rated NGA prospects next season, which helps our cause IMO. Imagine Eddie blowing a valve if the Pies lose out in any way.
    That is good actually. Would be a joke if they changed it for next years draft this late in the year - particularly after the giants, swans, pies and kangas have all profited from it recently.
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought I read the rules may change at the end of next year for 2021
    Perfect.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Perfect.
    some changes already - here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    some changes already - here
    Loophole should never have existed. That won't effect us with our NGA rights or points discount. Although I can see a cap on the numbers of players who attract the NGA discount as a potential change.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t see them changing the rules for 2020 as the upcoming trade period will be heavily dependent on the points bidding system being in place. If the top 10 of the 2020 draft is filled with players off limits to other clubs, I can definitely see it all changing for 2021 which would be fine because we’ll have JUH!
    I reckon we could take that to a proper court (ie not the AFL's fantasy world idea of justice) and stand a very good chance of winning. We should send the Gordon Legal team in to explain to the cowboys, oops sorry I meant to say the leadership, at the AFL, that you can't just make rules up on the fly (even though they have gotten away with it in the past) and if they want to argue about it we tell them "see you in court".

Let's see who runs out of funds first the pro bono team that Peter Gordon calls together by calling in favors for or the AFL paying top dollar for their silks...
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm still not convinced we could play 3 tall forward targets even if they are highly mobile. Naughton's the best of the three defensively, Schache, I think is still learning defensive running angles and has only begun learning to play his position. He can't be relied on in the short term. Not sure about Bruce. If even one of the three does not have the ability to apply high-level pressure a fleet-footed opposition half back line would move it out of there pretty efficiently.

I just think one of them will go back, or become a designated swingman.
    At the moment he'd be most likely be replacing McLean from the forward who can apply a bit of pressure but if we can bring in Martin too and basically swap him for Hayes it gives us a lot more possibilities to play 3 bigs in the forward line. Having Lloyd, Martin, McLean, Dale and Smith rotating through should be able to keep pressure on that half back line

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like St Kilda are leading the chase for Keath now, dammit.

In that case I can understand the idea of getting Zac Smith as ruck cover and Trengove trains exclusively as a KPD.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Sounds like St Kilda are leading the chase for Keath now, dammit.

In that case I can understand the idea of getting Zac Smith as ruck cover and Trengove trains exclusively as a KPD.
    Carlisle is radioactive with his back. So he stays on $600,000+, Keath on $500,000+, so can they really afford to spend $500,000+ ($750,000 rumoured) on Tomlinson?

Post Thanks / Like

Carlisle is radioactive with his back. So he stays on $600,000+, Keath on $500,000+, so can they really afford to spend $500,000+ ($750,000 rumoured) on Tomlinson?
    Who else are they paying? They have as much cap space as us, if not moreso - and that's before they lose their highest paid player Jack Steven.

There are roughly 90 players in the AFL getting paid $600k or over. I don't think that many at St Kilda would be part of that pool.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Who else are they paying? They have as much cap space as us, if not moreso - and that's before they lose their highest paid player Jack Steven.

There are roughly 90 players in the AFL getting paid $600k or over. I don't think that many at St Kilda would be part of that pool.
    Hannebery rumoured to be on 5 year x 800.

Post Thanks / Like

Hannerbery & Billings are on good money. Carlisle. Allegedly Hill at around $1M, Tomlinson around $750,000, Keath around $500,000, Ryder maybe $400,000+, Zak Jones maybe $400,000+ and others.

The Tomlinson question was more centred on spending nearly $2M on three defenders. If they get Keath, would they still go after Tomlinson with a crazy offer or concentrate elsewhere. Leaving other clubs to pursue him without an irrational price tag.

Post Thanks / Like

Hannerbery & Billings are on good money. Carlisle. Allegedly Hill at around $1M, Tomlinson around $750,000, Keath around $500,000, Ryder maybe $400,000+, Zak Jones maybe $400,000+ and others.

The Tomlinson question was more centred on spending nearly $2M on three defenders. If they get Keath, would they still go after Tomlinson with a crazy offer or concentrate elsewhere. Leaving other clubs to pursue him without an irrational price tag.
    I see Tomlinson was dropped this week

Why would Keath go to the Saints? Not being biased, but, we are playing finals, we have the youngest finals team, with so much upside. I can't see Saints anywhere near it for a few years yet.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.