Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 83 of 141 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293133 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We don't need Smith
    He's a very good player and makes us a stronger team. To me it's just the cost to get him that's a question. I'm not sure about why he'd leave though.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

[quo
    Last edited by AshMac; 06-09-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. But with 4 incoming we are going to have to move on two more players, Dickson & Williams don't have contracts, and Lynch, Gowers & Jong contracted but surplus to need (with Roberts & Webb and three already retired). It's fun to think about bringing in four players who make us a much better team, but fitting them in?

Interestingly, although a recent article suggested Williams would stay, if however Williams and Keath was a straight swap... And we got Port's pick 27 in a draft points trade to use on Bruce. Our second rounder (pick 30+) could be used on Isaac Smith (with something coming back). That's the trade currency to buy them from their club. The $1.7M plus salaries of Morris, Dickson & Williams gone is enough to pay for them with money.

Good luck with a best 22:

B: Crozier Trengove Cordy
    HB: JJ Keath Suckling
    C: I. Smith Macrae Hunter
    HF: Martin Schache Lloyd
    F: Bruce Naughton Dale
    R: English Bontempelli Dunkley
    Int From: B. Smith, Wood, Daniel, McLean, Liberatore, Lipinski, Duryea
    Emerg: Wallis, Le Young, Richards, West, Hayes, La Young, Cavarra, R. Smith, Gowers, Lynch, Jong, Gardner?,
    Kids: Khamis, Sweet, Greene, Porter, Vandermeer, 2019 draftees

That list wins both afl and VFL premierships.

This surely is too good to be true.
    We could definitely make it work cash wise. Keen on all three of them - Keath my no. 1 preference tbh.

I’d be furious with pick 30(ish) for Smith though. At his age and stage of career I’d think the only way he leaves hawks is if they’re happy for him to go like suckers and doc, in which case he is a 4th rounder for mine.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    We could definitely make it work cash wise. I’d be furious with pick 30 for Smith though. At his age and stage of career I’d think the only way he leaves hawks is if they’re happy for him to go like suckers and doc, in which case he is a 4tb rounder for mine.
    True, it depends on the 'what we got back' part. If it was pick 30 for their pick 45 & I. Smith for example, that works for me. That gap of 15 picks, in draft points, is equal to just pick 50. Hawks get to crow about another top 30 pick, we quietly get a best 22 player for a few years and a mid 3rd rounder where we've done well in recent drafts.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Is anyone not coming to our club

Hopefully Carlisle.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Hopefully Carlisle.
    He, his manager and St Kilda confirm he's staying (although not getting an extension passed next year). Great news all round, especially with St Kilda not freeing up that $600,000 in their salary cap.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we have the list spots to bring in 4 experienced players but all the names we are being linked to would add value to our playing list.

Martin has the outside polish and start quality that would add spark to our forward and midfield rotations
    Bruce is a versatile tall forward and proven goal kicker over a number of seasons
    Keath is highly regarded as intercept key defender after one good season.
    Isaac Smith is a proven ball winner who averages 21 possessions plus per game over a long period and is an experienced finals footballer, Super fit and very durable

Zac Smith would provide some rucking depth and would allow Sweet another season to learn his craft

Depending on the way you look at it Isaac Smith might make the biggest impact next season if we were to trade for him.
    Keath could be a boom or bust type player, I just haven't seen enough of him to be very confident
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think we have the list spots to bring in 4 experienced players but all the names we are being linked to would add value to our playing list.
    Do you think we would try and turn our first pick into two like a couple of years ago?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you think we would try and turn our first pick into two like a couple of years ago?
    I don't think initially we would look to do that as primary focus appears to be to use picks to bring in players from other clubs or points for the 2020 draft
    Now if we can't land the players we target much like North appear to struggle with then perhaps we might look towards the draft and our options

Post Thanks / Like

It's unlikely but after yesterday do we at all reassess list need? Considering the midfield capitulation should we be looking to bring in another Taylor Adams type? (hard built for finals) . I've always liked Ainsworth from Suns, and unfortunately I doubt Libba will ever return to his 2016 form.That was a real shock to me how meekly they surrendered under real pressure yesterday.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Isaac Smith, do we want to be young or do we want to be better? Clearly we need to continue getting better judging by yesterday.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's unlikely but after yesterday do we at all reassess list need? Considering the midfield capitulation should we be looking to bring in another Taylor Adams type? (hard built for finals) . I've always liked Ainsworth from Suns, and unfortunately I doubt Libba will ever return to his 2016 form.That was a real shock to me how meekly they surrendered under real pressure yesterday.
    I put it down to the experience .. they have played finals a long time now and had bigger bodies, they know what it takes.
    Wouldn’t go making big changes due to one bad game .. our kids learnt a lot it’s to our advantage now , we will be up for it next year as our young ones get bigger.
    We will be fine, this was our 2015.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Re: Isaac Smith, do we want to be young or do we want to be better? Clearly we need to continue getting better judging by yesterday.
    He’s far better than Hayes. It’s a simple one for mine.

The one I really want is Bruce, we need an aggressive key forward who can go into the ruck. He’s it.

19. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Fully agree. I don't get the argument that we should always recruit younger players while at the same time we often seem to explain losses due to having an inexperienced and younger side.

Can we really have it both ways?

As GG pointed out a couple of posts back we need to find a player or two with that harder edge

21. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I put it down to the experience .. they have played finals a long time now and had bigger bodies, they know what it takes.
    Wouldn’t go making big changes due to one bad game .. our kids learnt a lot it’s to our advantage now , we will be up for it next year as our young ones get bigger.
    We will be fine, this was our 2015.
    I tend to agree with you, think I'm still in shock after yesterday, and certainly don't want any knee jerk reactions or deviations from long term strategy. However I still think it's a reasonable question to ask as we appear to be targeting everything but tough mids and it was exposed yesterday. Bont, Macrae, Dunks are reasonably experienced.