Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 93 of 141 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 2106
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yep, a third round pick would be about right. On his potential alone he would be an upgrade on a few others we have.
    The money he is being quoted on is in the region of $350-400k. if this is near accurate thats a lot of money for someone who hasn't done much. We were quibbling whether Dalhaus was worth that.

I had a look at his NEAFL stats and they reveal he get about 20 possies and 1/2 a goal a game on average. Thats not going to get him a spot in the GWS midfield any time soon although I'm not sure how they have used him in the NEAFL.

One thing that does stand out in his stats is a high tackle count average of 6 per game. So perhaps he could become a pressure forward? Rather than a small pressure forward a big 6 foot 2 inch bull.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

I think West Coast will be the one to watch. They are in for Kelly as we know but could they turn to Martin now that they have a problem with Rioli? They have the trade assets to do it and they are a smart club. I struggle to see how Carlton get both Papley & Martin. Unlike West Coast they are not a well run club and their key people don't seem to be on the same recruiting page. Their trade assets are also not as good a the Eagles. I would laugh if this did happen.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Brad Hill has nominated Saints
    Great get. Do they have many indigenous players trying to think? Obvious Winmar legacy. Good for our chances with Bruce you'd think.

Edit : Ben Long, Jade Gresham, Matt Parker, Robbie Young so I answered my own question with some research

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Great get. Do they have many indigenous players trying to think? Obvious Winmar legacy. Good for our chances with Bruce you'd think.
    Ben Long
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Koby Stevens until recently.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Edit : Ben Long, Jade Gresham, Matt Parker, Robbie Young so I answered my own question with some research
    St Kilda seem to do a good job with their indigenous program. An old school and footy mate was involved in the ceremonies they ran at the club.

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We have to meet the cap floor otherwise we cop a 5% penalty in subsequent years.

There were at least 83 players on $600k or more a couple of years ago, that figure is surely over 90 now.
    Let’s say there is 100 for argument sake. That’s 5.5 plays per club on average. If we land Keith will he be one of our top 6 players?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Let’s say there is 100 for argument sake. That’s 5.5 plays per club on average. If we land Keith will he be one of our top 6 players?
    In terms of value to the team short term, I am going with:
    1- Bont
    2- Macrae
    3- Dunkley
    4- Naughton
    5- Hunter
    6- JJ

I would have Keath as on par with JJ in value to the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it the new way, Or is it the new bulldog way?

We have cap space we have to spend but surely that doesn’t mean we go after tier 2 players with tier one salaries...

Reeks of desperation in a time where players are choosing big clubs for less money. I also heard 4 years!!

he is a hamling style target. One good year and around the 400-450 mark. The message that must send to the kids we’ve just signed this year for less is risky.
    How else do you attract a player that doesn't really want to leave his club? Offer him more years and dollars than his current club.

The difference with Hamling is he wanted to leave and was likely happy with the same contract we would have given him.

We have to meet the cap floor otherwise we cop a 5% penalty in subsequent years.

There were at least 83 players on $600k or more a couple of years ago, that figure is surely over 90 now.
    I'm not sure the cap floor is really a big issue - clubs just front load contracts to meet it. Obviously in the position we are in now the time to front load is over and we want to fully utilise the cap to improve the team and push towards the top 4. I'm just not sure the cap floor is ever a big issue for clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Keath is really good. I’m not fretting at all about the coin he’s getting because our cash management has given me no reason to, and having space in the cap and not using it is how you end up with Jared Polec, Jasper Pittard and Aaron Hall on big money deals.

If we make it happen we should be stoked to bring in real quality for what feels like the first time in ages (I know Crozier/Lloyd/Duryea have been good but they’re clearly different prospects)
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm not sure the cap floor is really a big issue - clubs just front load contracts to meet it. Obviously in the position we are in now the time to front load is over and we want to fully utilise the cap to improve the team and push towards the top 4. I'm just not sure the cap floor is ever a big issue for clubs.
    It is a huge issue - e.g. this trade period Brad Hill wants out. Freo had to front load him to meet their cap floor, so they're effectively paid the big years of his contract already. In essence your $600k players become $8-900k players. That's not good management.

Then there's the opportunity cost of not bringing in better players when you have the chance to. We were the youngest team on the paddock in round 23 and in the first week of finals and will take 3-4 kids next year. This is the year, with the capacity to do so, to bring in mature talent and pay the associated cost of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Ben Long
    Ricky Nixon kept linking us to him last trade period (I know)

But......any interest?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say no as we have so many young guys who would be on base salary, it would be a classic case of mean diverging from the median

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    The money he is being quoted on is in the region of $350-400k. if this is near accurate thats a lot of money for someone who hasn't done much. We were quibbling whether Dalhaus was worth that.

I had a look at his NEAFL stats and they reveal he get about 20 possies and 1/2 a goal a game on average. Thats not going to get him a spot in the GWS midfield any time soon although I'm not sure how they have used him in the NEAFL.

One thing that does stand out in his stats is a high tackle count average of 6 per game. So perhaps he could become a pressure forward? Rather than a small pressure forward a big 6 foot 2 inch bull.
    Dahlhaus wanted 4 years at over 600K but had two poor years behind him with this focus and ethic
    There is no reason why GWS couldn't contribute 'some' money towards his contract if they are desperate to open up a spot for other players. I did note his tackle count was high.

I don't really care either way but he does have a lot of upside and I'd think he would be worth considering perhaps as a back up option for Isaac Smith
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

20. Thanks Grantysghost, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, KT31 liked this post