Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 6, 2019 vs Fremantle

This is the round 6, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Fremantle is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 6, 2019 vs Fremantle

bump

Post Thanks / Like

B

English. Very good game. Blooming in front of us.
    Smith. Just keeps showing new tricks.
    Crozier. Does everything Wood should.

A

JJ was horrible. Just horrible.
    Gowers. Needs to catch the red eye express to Footscray VFL.
    Turnover after turnover after turnover. Enough.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    B

English. Very good game. Blooming in front of us.
    Smith. Just keeps showing new tricks.
    Crozier. Does everything Wood should.

A

JJ was horrible. Just horrible.
    Gowers. Needs to catch the red eye express to Footscray VFL.
    Turnover after turnover after turnover. Enough.
    The above will do for me..

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

1. Tim
    2. Bailey
    3. Hayes - had a crack and showed more than I thought he had.

Anchors

1. Freo. Bunch of anchors
    2. JJ, shots at goal, Young.
    3. Gowers.... simply has to get dropped. FFS he's just not up to it.

Post Thanks / Like

B

English showed plenty.
    Smith showed plenty.
    Daniel and Crozier were good down back.

A

Hunter scrubbing kicks at a high ratio.
    Our forward line in general being as dangerous as a Ballarat Football League reserves team.
    Easton Wood is no leader.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

B

Smith/English - they can share a Banker. Great signs again.
    Crozier - glad he's in our colours.
    Hayes - don't mind him. Made some errors, sure. But we have Premiership players who make errors just as bad.

A

Hunter/JJ/Bont - all senior players, all have a Premiership medal, one has a Norm. When your team is going through a bad patch, you need a lift. Where does ours come from?

9.15 - We've had the issue for years, and nothing has changed.
    Basic skill level
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers - English and Smith ( outstanding)
    - Crozier has been a real recruitment win
    - I can’t think of one
    Anchors - wood and JJ ( what the hell has happened?)
    - Thanks Dicko , but it’s time . Gowers isn’t good enough
    - Restructured forward line please ! Goal kicking is just an absolute unforgivable disgrace

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Some great marks and effort from English
    2. Lloyd's straight kicking when he is in range
    3. Bont's goal in the 3rd kept the game close.

Anchors

1. Two terrible turnovers by JJ gifting them goals in the first half.
    2. Set shot misses again, especially in the last that could have made the difference.
    3. Bont and Lib getting caught with the ball in the backline and gifting them goals.

Added big Anchor - Gowers running into an open goal and missing
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Caleb Daniel. Such a gem
    2. Bailey Smith looks better every week
    3. At last some support for English, and not coincidentally, a very good game from The Pom
    Anchors
    1. Take your pick from the forwardline catastrophes but special mention to when we couldn’t get it over the top to the player (naughton?) on his own
    2. JJ....what the hell!!!! Bereft of confidence. And his style, the line breaking run and long kick, is exactly what we miss
    3. Seeing our premiership defender Hamling now in his footballing prime.. but not with us.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Bankers - English and Smith ( outstanding)
    - Crozier has been a real recruitment win
    - I can’t think of one
    Anchors - wood and JJ ( what the hell has happened?)
    - Thanks Dicko , but it’s time . Gowers isn’t good enough
    - Restructured forward line please ! Goal kicking is just an absolute unforgivable disgrace
    I’ll go with those Remi. Another Banker Cordy - I thought he battled hard down back. Caleb Daniel actually would be another great banker. Sure he is a small player but he knows how to use it that’s for sure.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

A Daniel is going very well at the moment. 86% efficiency for the bloke under that much pressure half the time is great skills
    English and Trengove make a better ruck combination. English played very well
    Smith is coming along nicely. I thought Hayes showed some great sign tonight. Screams to drop him after two games is ridiculous. Still to get used to the pace a bit more. Plus joining a team not playing very helpful footy

B Umpires not seeing our forwards being held onto for the first half ( hey umpires forwards don’t go up with one arm to try and be hero’s. The other arm is clearly being held.
    when our forwards finally got space we seem to either kick to the opposition advantage or just split the advantage. We can’t seem to help our forwards out.
    Our game plan of bombing it to the fifty meter line and hoping we can manufacture a goal off the deck is not happening. If you were defending us you would just sit at the forty meter mark and wait for a big pack of six to jump at the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Banksmen

English, for his best game to date. Amazing what can happen when given genuine support.

Lachie Hunter, who was our best player. Rightly had his courage questioned for dropping a pretty easy chest mark last week, but I know I won't be doing that again after watching him play in clear pain last night.

We finished on 69 points, which is pretty funny.

Anchsmen

Gowers is trash and I'm trying to figure out how I can conscientiously object to games that he is selected for while still watching them.

Our delivery into the forward line was putrid all night. I didn't think it was possible to kick it straight to a defender standing by themselves from a centre clearance with 6-6-6, but Macrae found a way. In fact give him an anchor too, his kicking was way off his usual standard and his refusal to look at the goals is badly hurting us.

JJ might not have been fully fit, but there's no reason to compromise on effort. That kick smothered by Hill in the middle of the ground was terribly lazy and disappointing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Backhanded B&A here

Bankers

English - for the first time last night I was a believer in Tim. He showed some real endeavour to get back a few times and take important intercept marks. Played with good presence and was earning the trust of his teammates.

Crozier - continues to be a major presence in the air and provide intensity around the ball. Laid some good tackles.

Wood - a much better outing from the Capitano. Showed more strength in the contest.

Anchors

English - simply must stop letting the ball out when surrounded by opposition players at the back of the square. This is basic midfield craft, if there's not an option or numbers then you don't let that ball out. Concede a free kick for holding the ball if you need to, at least that gives the defence time to setup.

Crozier - please don't just bomb the ball to outnumbered forwards without looking. This doesn't work generally and particularly with our lack of forward height. It's been the one downfall of Crozier's game all year and needs to be addressed.

Wood - not sure if this is an instructional thing or as a result of his change in role but he's now spoiling the ball quite often in situations where he would attempt to park previously. Some players you come to understand this preference to spoil, but Easton's asset that turned him from a fringe player to an All-Australian was his intercept marking. Play to your strengths.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

16. Thanks Danjul thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crozier’s selected opponent kicked 5 goals.