Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  119
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Fremantle R6 2019

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We can all blame coaches about skills and kicking, etc, but at the end of the day, it is up to the player to execute correctly.

These guys are full time elite athletes, paid the big bucks who train almost every day. You don't think they practise their skills, their kicking - of course they do. You can't blame the coach or coaches, it is a player responsibilty.
    If the teachers aren't getting results for the class surely the message they are delivering isn't working?
    We have a dedicated recruitment process in place and in the main short term contracts to make assessments on if players are up to the required level so if players don't measure up we can move them on quickly enough. The fact that we haven't been overly aggressive with changing the list (although last year wasn't too bad) means we have faith that the playing group will improve. I'm not sure you can say it's not the coaches responsibility because they're ultimately measured on how the team performs. If players aren't measuring up why are they being selected and in a lot of cases maintained on the playing list past their initial contract period?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If the teachers aren't getting results for the class surely the message they are delivering isn't working?
    We have a dedicated recruitment process in place and in the main short term contracts to make assessments on if players are up to the required level so if players don't measure up we can move them on quickly enough. The fact that we haven't been overly aggressive with changing the list (although last year wasn't too bad) means we have faith that the playing group will improve. I'm not sure you can say it's not the coaches responsibility because they're ultimately measured on how the team performs. If players aren't measuring up why are they being selected and in a lot of cases maintained on the playing list past their initial contract period?
    Out of 44 current players, including rookies, we have 28 new players since Bevo started, ie 64%, I think we are turning over players.

No we haven't it's been a patient approach. Many players are maintained a year or two longer without a lot of results. Even if you believe we have been proactive how does it explain the skill level over the last 2 and a bit seasons? Who are the big improvers?

We have basically tried to address it via trading for the likes if Suckling, Duryea and Crozier
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Late commenting on this game because of other commitments. To me this was a much better performance than last week and on par with what we have dished up against Swans, Hawks, Suns and the Pies. Our commitment to the ball and each other was great. We had Freo under pressure and forced errors and turnovers. That says to me that we could have and probably should have won the game. We let ourselves down with poor kicking for goal, especially in the last quarter.

Gowers was again poor. We criticise Stringer for looking for cheapies out the back, the 2019 edition of Gowers is a Stringer clone. He played on Pearce and should have been leading far and wide to get him out of the danger zone, instead too often Gowers is tussling or flying from behind to get the ball. Not good enough. Then when he gets the chance to put some scoreboard pressure, too often as he has done all year, he lets the team down with his finishing.

Dicko is cooked. Its a shame because he has great goal sense and an amazing ability to create enough space to get a shot away, but he seems to have lost that yard of pace and can't shake the opposition. Worse, he is missing those clutch goals we have relied on for so long. If this is another development year then I would prefer Greene (when not injured), Cavarra or Lippa in the team.

We can hand wring and blame the coach and call for his head, but the reality is we are not too far away and Richmond this week are definitely gettable. Need to play with the same level of commitment and intensity and we can beat them.

6. Likes merantau, bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Late commenting on this game because of other commitments. To me this was a much better performance than last week and on par with what we have dished up against Swans, Hawks, Suns and the Pies. Our commitment to the ball and each other was great. We had Freo under pressure and forced errors and turnovers. That says to me that we could have and probably should have won the game. We let ourselves down with poor kicking for goal, especially in the last quarter.

Gowers was again poor. We criticise Stringer for looking for cheapies out the back, the 2019 edition of Gowers is a Stringer clone. He played on Pearce and should have been leading far and wide to get him out of the danger zone, instead too often Gowers is tussling or flying from behind to get the ball. Not good enough. Then when he gets the chance to put some scoreboard pressure, too often as he has done all year, he lets the team down with his finishing.

Dicko is cooked. Its a shame because he has great goal sense and an amazing ability to create enough space to get a shot away, but he seems to have lost that yard of pace and can't shake the opposition. Worse, he is missing those clutch goals we have relied on for so long. If this is another development year then I would prefer Greene (when not injured), Cavarra or Lippa in the team.

We can hand wring and blame the coach and call for his head, but the reality is we are not too far away and Richmond this week are definitely gettable. Need to play with the same level of commitment and intensity and we can beat them.
    Thanks Freddie. I needed that. Go Dogs!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

8. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Thanks Freddie. I needed that. Go Dogs!
    Ditto, and well summed up.

Gowers needs to be dropped to send him a message that he is not a walk up start.

Post Thanks / Like

Gowers continues to amaze. In a season where his form has been poor to ordinary this was finally a game where he consistently got his hand to the ball first, but unfortunately he had heaps of marks where he got a clean grab at them initially but dropped them. If he holds everything he should've on Saturday he would have had about 7 contested marks to his name all resulting in (unpredictable) set shots. Instead he drops every single one of them and stuff up when he gets the ball in general play meaning he has a shocker.

I am inclined to drop him like everyone else, but at the same time he remains our only aerial threat not in the backline aside from Naughton whos output has been non existent for weeks now. Aside from Schache who is not really an aerial threat at all we have nobody else of a similiar type to bring in for him. I'd probably still drop him, but I think despite his woeful game he wasn't far off having a really good game, which I guess is classic Gowers. Even when he is good, he's bad, but also when he is bad, he is so close to being good. I guess thats the lot of a forward, even the quietest games can be rescued with two good things and Gowers is certainly capable of producing two good things a game.

Dickson is the other obvious one. To me he has really bulked up these last two years and everytime I see him play he reminds of a pacy key forward. No real amazing agility or ability to extricate himself from tight situations anymore, but good on the lead and bigger than everyone else. It is so very frustrating that Greene is injured because of all the young guys not playing I think he is best equipped to give us something we need and is the perfect direct swap for a cooked Dickson.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Good post Fredi.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Both the coaches gave Hunter the 5 votes. It’s rare to see a player in the losing team get the perfect 10.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post