Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  55
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Did he play league footy?
    Don't believe so
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games

No. Not according to my Encyclopaedia of League Footballers. No mention of him on AFLtables either.

I think his brother is involved in the footy department at Essendon though.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    No. Not according to my Encyclopaedia of League Footballers. No mention of him on AFLtables either.

I think his brother is involved in the footy department at Essendon though.
    Is that a new euphemism for being NQR?

Like 'he's a couple of stubbies short of a six pack' or 'a couple of snags short of a bbq'? Or, 'He's a nice enough kind of bloke, but he's involved in the footy department at Essendon'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Is that a new euphemism for being NQR?

Like 'he's a couple of stubbies short of a six pack' or 'a couple of snags short of a bbq'? Or, 'He's a nice enough kind of bloke, but he's involved in the footy department at Essendon'.
    You'd have to ask an Essendon supporter.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I really don’t want to get into it on a football site, so I’ll just say the unnecessary incarceration of an indigenous person, even on this relatively small scale, can’t possibly meet whatever justice aim they’re shooting for and leave it at that.
    Can't agree with this more.

He's a multiple time goose, but come on, jail?
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the way he's posing with that pill is any indication I'd proffer a resounding yeah nah.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Australia is a big land with diverse communities that most of us do not experience. The cultures in aboriginal communities are far removed from bigcity Melbourne, which is PC, overregulated, self obsessed even by comparison with other world cities. I shat myself trying to fit in in Marrakech for a holiday, imagine trying to live and play elite sport there!
    Melbourne is like Elizabethan England or a modern day Taliban state: rigid rules, both written and unwritten with the condemnation of the community if yo do not follow.
    For someone such as Syd or Zeph Skinner to acclimatise is a journey none of us will take. From the most remote to the most regulated!
    The pressure of acclimatising, the foreignness, no bush turkey, no longer people that understand you leads to rebellion, wanting to break out.
    Serious funding must go to addressing the cultural differences between Melbourne and remote communities. People like Chris Lewis need to be employed. A Victorian local who is senior in his native culture and a champion in Melbourne culture.
    Surely our academic institutions prepare people for such mentoring roles.
    Doggies lets take the lead in this.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you should compare Skinner to Stack because their backgrounds are worlds apart - but overall a point well made.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Australia is a big land with diverse communities that most of us do not experience. The cultures in aboriginal communities are far removed from bigcity Melbourne, which is PC, overregulated, self obsessed even by comparison with other world cities. I shat myself trying to fit in in Marrakech for a holiday, imagine trying to live and play elite sport there!
    Melbourne is like Elizabethan England or a modern day Taliban state: rigid rules, both written and unwritten with the condemnation of the community if yo do not follow.
    For someone such as Syd or Zeph Skinner to acclimatise is a journey none of us will take. From the most remote to the most regulated!
    The pressure of acclimatising, the foreignness, no bush turkey, no longer people that understand you leads to rebellion, wanting to break out.
    Serious funding must go to addressing the cultural differences between Melbourne and remote communities. People like Chris Lewis need to be employed. A Victorian local who is senior in his native culture and a champion in Melbourne culture.
    Surely our academic institutions prepare people for such mentoring roles.
    Doggies lets take the lead in this.
    Taliban state? FFS.

14. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Taliban state? FFS.
    BIDS54 did say modern.............yeah nah.

Though I do agree we're completely up our own backsides. If I hear one more *!*!*!*!ing thing about how we love coffee I'll vomit.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BIDS54 did say modern.............yeah nah.

Though I do agree we're completely up our own backsides. If I hear one more *!*!*!*!ing thing about how we love coffee I'll vomit.
    Being Melbourne, it’d be a post modern Taliban state if anything.

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Taliban state? FFS.
    You better believe it.
    Do not underestimate the strictures that our culture put on individuals that we take for granted having grown up with them. To understand this, go to a foreign place with very different social norms like anywhere Islamic or non westernised or indeed try living in a remote community and find out how ignorant you are. Vica versa.
    Culture is easy when you know the rules and are born into it but is actually very strict.

Post Thanks / Like

What the hell is going on?

Richmond Tigers star Sydney Stack remains stuck behind bars over alleged COVID-19 breach

Richmond player Sydney Stack could spend another two weeks behind bars as he awaits a hearing over allegations he breached Western Australia COVID-19 quarantine restrictions.

Following a short court appearance today, Stack’s hearing was adjourned to January 20 – a full month after he was first denied bail and found himself in Hakea Prison.

But Stack is now set for a new bail application hearing on Friday.

According to The Herald Sun, Stack’s brief video appearance before Perth Magistrate’s Court today included 20-year-old saying just one word – “yes” – in response to the Magistrate’s question as to whether he understood what was happening in the court.

Stack was allegedly involved in a late-night brawl in December, having received an exemption from the WA government to travel from Victoria via South Australia in order to attend his grandfather’s funeral.

His alleged involvement in the fracas led to police becoming aware of Stack’s alleged shift from a Northam address – which he had nominated as his site in which to quarantine for 14 days – to Belmont, around an hour away.

If the allegations are found to be true, that would constitute a breach of Western Australia’s strict quarantine protocols.

Stack previously received a 10-game ban after a September incident where he left the Tiger’s Queensland hub to visit a strip club in Surfers Paradise before becoming embroiled in an altercation outside a kebab store.

As he awaits bail – or his next hearing – Stack has missed the start of Richmond’s pre-season training.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...XWQQtKuJrPGAZc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    What the hell is going on?

Richmond Tigers star Sydney Stack remains stuck behind bars over alleged COVID-19 breach

Richmond player Sydney Stack could spend another two weeks behind bars as he awaits a hearing over allegations he breached Western Australia COVID-19 quarantine restrictions.

Following a short court appearance today, Stack’s hearing was adjourned to January 20 – a full month after he was first denied bail and found himself in Hakea Prison.

But Stack is now set for a new bail application hearing on Friday.

According to The Herald Sun, Stack’s brief video appearance before Perth Magistrate’s Court today included 20-year-old saying just one word – “yes” – in response to the Magistrate’s question as to whether he understood what was happening in the court.

Stack was allegedly involved in a late-night brawl in December, having received an exemption from the WA government to travel from Victoria via South Australia in order to attend his grandfather’s funeral.

His alleged involvement in the fracas led to police becoming aware of Stack’s alleged shift from a Northam address – which he had nominated as his site in which to quarantine for 14 days – to Belmont, around an hour away.

If the allegations are found to be true, that would constitute a breach of Western Australia’s strict quarantine protocols.

Stack previously received a 10-game ban after a September incident where he left the Tiger’s Queensland hub to visit a strip club in Surfers Paradise before becoming embroiled in an altercation outside a kebab store.

As he awaits bail – or his next hearing – Stack has missed the start of Richmond’s pre-season training.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...XWQQtKuJrPGAZc
    A disgrace, the guy is not a criminal.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully could be out tomorrow.

Tiger Sydney Stack could be out of jail as soon as Friday despite his latest court appearance being adjourned until January 20.

Stack, who has already spent Christmas and New Years inside Hakea Prison, made a brief appearance in Perth Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday, accused of breaching WA’s COVID-19 quarantine requirements.

Defence lawyer Siobhan Nims made no submissions to the court other than to request her client’s matter be adjourned to January 20.

However, Stack has a bail application hearing on Friday morning to appeal the December decision to deny him bail.

Link

24. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post