Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  55
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm obviously going to defend him - and he shouldn't have been in Northbridge, that part was dumb - but if you are planning to stay in Northam and then can't stay where you thought you could and kind of don't really have anywhere else to go, well, it is a slippery slope of trouble.

Syd brings some things upon himself but some things that you and I take for granted simply aren't options in his world.
    There are undoubtedly some robust conversations that need to be had around some of the decision-making, but I feel for the kid. I remember reading a post you put on post-draft and it provided some extra context to his issue with his accommodation this time around.

There are players that have and likely are doing worse things that somehow have their indiscretions (or the full depth of them anyway) stage managed away from the headlines.

If Richmond were to part ways I would love us to sit down with him and give him a lifeline. Back in the club with Varcoe to mentor him.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 21-12-2020 at 10:03 PM.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Geez, they take the restrictions seriously in WA. Feel sorry for the bloke, hope his career isn't destroyed due to this.
    He got a special exemption with conditions and just ignored them. I don't want to see him lost to the game but at what point does he just follow the rules that are set? I can't imagine the club is happy with him fighting while over in Perth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm obviously going to defend him - and he shouldn't have been in Northbridge, that part was dumb - but if you are planning to stay in Northam and then can't stay where you thought you could and kind of don't really have anywhere else to go, well, it is a slippery slope of trouble.

Syd brings some things upon himself but some things that you and I take for granted simply aren't options in his world.
    Then he runs the risk of choosing those options over football and ultimately that is his choice.

5. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Then he runs the risk of choosing those options over football and ultimately that is his choice.
    I think he needs guidance and help. He is 20 years old and clearly has had issues growing up. He has talent, and hopefully Richmond won't just sack him, but look after him. He has a great opportunity at Richmond and hopefully, as you say, is not lost to the game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think he needs guidance and help. He is 20 years old and clearly has had issues growing up. He has talent, and hopefully Richmond won't just sack him, but look after him. He has a great opportunity at Richmond and hopefully, as you say, is not lost to the game.
    He's ignored some very clear rules twice now so what support and guidance do you think he needs from Richmond and more importantly what he would be prepared to listen to?
    At the moment he's clearly stubbornly resisting the notion that rules apply to him and I can see why that might not be an acceptable option for clubs and governments.
    If he doesn't want to comply with some basic rules we have all had to follow, perhaps being a professional footballer isn't for him at the moment. He can always come back to it later

Post Thanks / Like

He's ignored some very clear rules twice now so what support and guidance do you think he needs from Richmond and more importantly what he would be prepared to listen to?
    At the moment he's clearly stubbornly resisting the notion that rules apply to him and I can see why that might not be an acceptable option for clubs and governments.
    If he doesn't want to comply with some basic rules we have all had to follow, perhaps being a professional footballer isn't for him at the moment. He can always come back to it later
    Yep, much as I feel for him, the excuses must be close to running out.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Did I just hear on SEN that he is going into jail until the 6th of January?

Post Thanks / Like

On News.com.au. This shows how serious the government in WA is treating it and he does need his club's support more than ever now

AFL AFL player Sydney Stack will spend Christmas behind bars after allegedly breaching COVID-19 self-quarantine orders, which was discovered when police intervened in a Perth street fight.

Stack, 20, had been granted approval to enter WA on compassionate grounds via the G2G Pass system and arrived at Perth Airport from South Australia on December 10.

The Richmond forward was told he must self-quarantine for two weeks at an address in Northam, a town northeast of Perth, but police alleged he later left that property and returned to Perth, staying at a home in Belmont.

Police further alleged he visited the entertainment precinct in Northbridge, where he was found just after 1am on Saturday reportedly fighting in a street.

He was issued with a move on notice and officers realised Stack should be in self-quarantine.

Stack was charged with failing to comply with a direction and his matter was called in Perth Magistrates Court on Monday in his absence because he is in isolation at Hakea Prison.

He was remanded in custody to face court again on January 6.

It means he will spend Christmas and the start of 2021 behind bars.

Outside court, Stack’s manager Paul Peos said it had been very difficult to communicate with his client.

“I’ve been very disappointed but we will continue to try and engage with him as best as we can,” he said.

Mr Peos said during a brief conversation he had with Stack after his arrest he “did not seem OK” and he sounded “very distressed”.

“He’s having a very difficult time,” Mr Peos said.

Footage of the small brawl was shown on Channel 7 on Sunday night after Stack’s first court appearance for the alleged quarantine breach.

Stack, who was drafted to Richmond in 2018, told the court on Sunday that his AFL career was “on the line”.

He was refused bail during that court appearance.

In September, Stack was slapped with a 10-match ban after he and Tigers teammate Callum Coleman-Jones were involved in a scuffle near a Gold Coast strip club while participating in an AFL hub.

Stack later apologised on Instagram, but he missed Richmond’s grand final victory over Geelong due to his suspension.

“I’m very sorry, understand the seriousness of it and can do nothing now but own the consequences,” he wrote.

“I’ve let down the AFL, the club I love, my teammates, coaches and staff, its members and the Tiger army.

“I also have let down my family, my friends and all of those who have helped me along the way.

“To those who are supporting me at the moment, a huge thanks. I only hope going forward I can rebuild trust in me again.”

Post Thanks / Like

That seems...unnecessarily heavy handed.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That seems...unnecessarily heavy handed.
    You can be damn sure if it was Fyfe ignoring the rules to go surfing again, or Buckley to have a hit of tennis (or more?) again, no expense would have been spared and the lawyers would have them out within hours.

This may be way off the mark, but the prospect of him sitting in jail to the 6th feels to me like he has been abandoned to some degree.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a complete abuse of power you can't put him in jail for that surely. Hopefully wiser heads prevail.

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's ignored some very clear rules twice now so what support and guidance do you think he needs from Richmond
    He clearly needs help in his life - counselling.

Did I just hear on SEN that he is going into jail until the 6th of January?
    If he wasn't Indigenous then he wouldn't be in jail.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He clearly needs help in his life - counselling.
    And you don't think he has received education and counseling from the club before and after the Gold Coast Covid-19 issue?

If he wasn't Indigenous then he wouldn't be in jail.
    So what would you think is a more appropriate response?
    Another fine and warning or something else?

Post Thanks / Like

He's brought this on himself. I have very little pity for him. Plenty of of people have skipped quarantine and ended up in jail in W.A. Why should he be any different?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He's brought this on himself. I have very little pity for him. Plenty of of people have skipped quarantine and ended up in jail in W.A. Why should he be any different?
    Have they though? The only information I can find was that 106 were charged to the end of August, with only around half being convicted. Of the 50 odd, at least 40 received fines only.

Even this bloke didn’t get jailed:

“The latest alleged quarantine breach is Perth man Paul Lawrence who arrived in WA from Brisbane on Friday night without an exemption to enter the state.

The 53-year-old was discovered at Hotel Northbridge surrounded by pub-goers later that night after telling authorities at Perth Airport he had chest pains and being transferred to Royal Perth Hospital for treatment.

He allegedly walked out of the hospital and into the nightlife district while waiting to be transferred to hotel quarantine.

The pub Mr Lawrence visited was forced to close and undergo a deep clean while waiting for the results of his COVID-19 test.

He tested negative and it has since reopened.

Police Minister Michelle Roberts indicated Mr Lawrence would become the first person in WA hotel quarantine to be fitted with a GPS ankle tracker.”