Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  55
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games

Spot on, mjp.

In regards to the Bulldogs, we have pulled the trigger on the likes of Shane Thorne and Zeph Skinner previously, with both being unmitigated failures. Is it just a matter of picking the wrong player in these cases or is our environment not set up to assist those that do come from further back than your average kid from the Melbourne burb?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    You want talented players at your club who can run like lightening, kick through the eye of a needle and have genuinely overcome 'obstacles' to play footy? Well, it's pretty easy. DRAFT THEM!!!
    We've traditionally had an aversion to taking players like this. At least ones that pan out. And it shows on our list.

Are we simply disinclined to gamble on boom/bust types in favour of low risk, blue collar types?

Cos they ain't doing much to help our scoring woes.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Now you sound like a recruiter.

Let the chips fall where they may. He has already played more games than Porter (and I am not trying to throw him under a bus) and has been in the system for 1 year less. As for this years picks, I refuse to accept that we couldnt have picked Syd in the Hayes spot (or the Cavarra spot) and grabbed one of those two as a rookie. Sweet? He should be a VFL only player who we are 'keeping an eye on' because there is no way his pre-draft performances in any area apart from 'height' said 'SHOULD BE ON AN AFL LIST'.

You talk to people. You get to know them. You ignore white noise and back your club and your environment. You work out if they are 'driven' to succeed...

With Syd (and with his cousin Bobby who fell down draft boards to GWS in the late 20's) they have come from a LONG way back (Syd especially) and have ALWAYS succeeded on field. They are super fit (meaning they train hard), lean and mean (low skinnies = look after themselves), skilful and get the ball. Do they have some less than ideal social habits a bit representative of those from a pretty low socio-economic background? Well, yeah. Because they are from a LOW SOCIO-Economic background and so are all their friends. But given they are fit, skilful and lean as whippets, those habits cannot be THAT bad can they.

I said Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan should have been top 10 picks and feel more comfortable talking about those two than I do Syd and Bobby but the AFL clubs let them slide through for a few years each as well...Marlion Pickett STILL can't get a go. Gordy Narrier got overlooked, then was given one year by North on a rookie list and shipped home.

You want talented players at your club who can run like lightening, kick through the eye of a needle and have genuinely overcome 'obstacles' to play footy? Well, it's pretty easy. DRAFT THEM!!!
    And develop them properly. And don't run a million miles if they do anything unusual.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And develop them properly. And don't run a million miles if they do anything unusual.
    Thinking of anyone in particular here? I know I am.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Thinking of anyone in particular here? I know I am.
    Lots but yeah, you're right on.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Ghosty Lynch is the closest player I can think of on our list from a lower socio-economic background. We used to almost seek those types out.

What have Brett Goodes & Angus Monfries been doing while we draft private schoolboys?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richmond recruiter reveals how Tigers plotted Sydney Stack coup

Richmond expected Sydney Stack would be overlooked in the draft despite being one of the country’s top junior talents. And when it happened, a plan swung into action.

Sydney Stack’s arrival at Richmond was the result of a months-long recruiting plan.

The Tigers pounced after Stack was overlooked in the national and pre-season drafts, taking advantage of new AFL rules that allowed clubs to leave a vacant spot on their list.

“The new rules opening up gave us great flexibility to say, ‘Hey, we can try before we buy’ in a sense,” Richmond recruiting manager Matt Clarke said.

“We were on the front foot early which he was really happy with, and his manager as well, to get him over and train.

“We had some really good advice from the WA talent guys as well around what that would look like if he did come over — where he would live, who he would live with and all those types of things — so we had a plan in place pretty quickly and set it in motion as quick as we could.”

After a two-month trial Stack joined the Tigers in February under new rules that allow clubs to sign players in the pre-season supplementary selection period. Other players signed during the SSP include Essendon ruckman Zac Clarke, Carlton’s Michael Gibbons and Demon Jay Lockhart.

Clarke told the Road to the Draft podcast the Tigers had tracked Stack since he was a 16-year-old. Recruiters had their ears to the ground and expected the explosive utility, now second-favourite for the Rising Star Award, to slip through both drafts last November despite being one of the top-rated talents in the country.

“Sydney had some challenges in his life growing up. His talent was always there, there was no questioning that, and obviously we can see that now, it was just whether his commitment to football outside the football environment was at the level required,” Clarke said.

“He’d made some mistakes along the way.

“It was just a matter of finding the balance for him of actually saying ... can I stay committed to football, and they were probably the doubts we had and other clubs obviously had those as well.

“Getting to the draft we had a plan that if he had got through, and our information was that he was likely to get through the national draft, not sure about the rookie draft, but we’d made some contact with his manager between both those drafts, on the night and the day after, that if that did occur he could come and train under the new rules, so we were happy to leave a spot open and go that way.

“As we got to the rookie draft once again our information was that he was going to get through and we’d offer him a lifeline to come over and train just to see how committed he was to the program.”

Stack immediately impressed the coaches with his dedication on the track — tales of him repeatedly throwing up have become legendary — and his spark off the field.

“He’s quite annoying,” Clarke said, laughing.

“When he came over and he started living with Damien and the Hardwicks, who have been fantastic in that area with (Daniel) Rioli and a couple of other boys, Damien was talking to me a couple of days later and saying, ‘What have you given me?’. I was a bit shocked and asked what happened and he just said ‘He won’t stop talking’.”

Stack has played every game since making his debut in Round 3, averaging 17.3 disposals, 5.3 marks, 3.1 tackles and booting nine goals, while amassing a brilliant highlight reel.

He is in a two-way race with Carlton’s Sam Walsh for the Rising Star. Walsh is $.125 favourite with TAB ahead of Stack at $4. Third in line in betting is Geelong’s Gyan Miers ($13).

Clarke said Richmond probably would have picked Stack in the rookie draft if the SSP rules weren’t available, but it wasn’t a sure thing.

He also provided an update on another young indigenous talent, Maurice Rioli Jr. The son of late Richmond champion Maurice Rioli is enrolled at Scotch College in Hawthorn and is eligible for next year’s draft under the father-son rule.

“He’s progressing pretty well, he’s a pretty hard-at-it unit and skilled as well, so it’s a matter of getting his conditioning and running and all those things, and diet, that the school is fantastic with,” Clarke said.

“He’ll be able to come in later in the year, post the season finishing, and do some work with us, but he’s a very talented young boy.

“We don’t want to push him too hard, we know where he needs to get to and that’s a journey that will take a little bit of time ... but by the end of next year hopefully he’s made some progress in those areas.”

Post Thanks / Like

Solid career move

Stack's AFL career in jeopardy after arrest in WA

Sydney Stack has been arrested and refused bail for allegedly breaching WA's COVID laws

SYDNEY Stack's AFL career is in jeopardy after has was arrested and refused bail for allegedly breaching Western Australia's strict COVID-19 laws.

Stack was granted approval to enter WA on compassionate grounds on December 10 for his grandfather's funeral, with his flight from Victoria making a stop-over in South Australia.

WA's border with South Australia is still closed after a recent coronavirus scare.

After arriving in WA, Stack was issued with a direction to self-quarantine for a period of 14 days at a nominated address in Northam, about 97km east-northeast of Perth.

But he was allegedly found by police at 1.10am AWST on Saturday in the Perth party district of Northbridge.

It was also identified he had been staying at a residence in Belmont and not at his nominated quarantine address in Northam.

The 20-year-old, who has played 26 games for Richmond, was charged with failing to comply with a direction.

He was refused bail at his court appearance on Sunday, and is due to appear in the Perth Magistrates Court again on Monday, December 21.

The alleged breach caps off a torrid year for Stack, who was handed a 10-match AFL ban and banished from Queensland in September for an incident outside of a Gold Coast strip club.

Stack and Tigers teammate Callum Coleman-Jones broke the AFL's return-to-play protocols during that night out, which ended up with them being involved in a fight at about 3.30am. Richmond were fined $100,000 over the incident.

Stack issued an apology on Instagram after that incident.

"I'm very sorry, understand the seriousness of it and can do nothing now but own the consequences," Stack wrote.

"I've let down the AFL, the club I love, my teammates, coaches and staff, its members and the tiger army.

"I also have let down my family, my friends and all of those who have helped me along the way.

"To those who are supporting me at the moment, a huge thanks. I only hope going forward I can rebuild trust in me again."

Stack was overlooked in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft because of concerns about off-field issues, but he was invited to train with Richmond and eventually won a spot on its rookie list.

The gifted utility even lived with Richmond coach Damien Hardwick while training with the club.

Stack played 17 games in a breakout debut season last year before a late form slump and ankle injury saw him miss their premiership.

He played nine games this year before being dropped for poor form, with his season eventually ended by the 10-match ban.

Stack's latest indiscretion is a blow to his career, and Richmond will wait until his next court hearing before declaring whether they will impose any further punishment.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of footballers are slow learners but two Covid-19 issues in the space of a couple of months doesn't do him any favours

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, they take the restrictions seriously in WA. Feel sorry for the bloke, hope his career isn't destroyed due to this.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Geez, they take the restrictions seriously in WA. Feel sorry for the bloke, hope his career isn't destroyed due to this.
    The restrictions do seem a bit extreme - apparently he never left the airport in Adelaide and that outbreak was quickly contained and is over.

However getting into a punch on in the middle of the street at 1am is never a great move, covid or otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Becoming a serial offender. How many chances does this guy need? Won't be surprised if Richmond cut the lead.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

However getting into a punch on in the middle of the street at 1am is never a great move, covid or otherwise.
    Oh, didn't read that part or do you mean his QLD hub transgression?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Oh, didn't read that part or do you mean his QLD hub transgression?
    There is video of him fighting in the street in Perth, which I assume is how he came to the attention of the police and was busted not quarantining. If you are going to flout the rules at least keep a low profile!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A lot of footballers are slow learners but two Covid-19 issues in the space of a couple of months doesn't do him any favours
    I'm obviously going to defend him - and he shouldn't have been in Northbridge, that part was dumb - but if you are planning to stay in Northam and then can't stay where you thought you could and kind of don't really have anywhere else to go, well, it is a slippery slope of trouble.

Syd brings some things upon himself but some things that you and I take for granted simply aren't options in his world.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

20. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post