Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  55
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games

This one is even worse.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...reach/12654822

Basically going to receive the same amount of time in custody.

Whole thing is bizarre, why'd he chose a flight going through SA?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That seems...unnecessarily heavy handed.
    It does but I wonder if they just don't think asking him to quarantine for 14 days is something he will do. Would one of those ankle monitor systems be a better outcome?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It does but I wonder if they just don't think asking him to quarantine for 14 days is something he will do. Would one of those ankle monitor systems be a better outcome?
    I really don’t want to get into it on a football site, so I’ll just say the unnecessary incarceration of an indigenous person, even on this relatively small scale, can’t possibly meet whatever justice aim they’re shooting for and leave it at that.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I really don’t want to get into it on a football site, so I’ll just say the unnecessary incarceration of an indigenous person, even on this relatively small scale, can’t possibly meet whatever justice aim they’re shooting for and leave it at that.
    Yeah, I've been biting my tongue in the name of harmony knowing this isn't quite the place for it but we have a thread devoted to Stack's story so, even aside from the ham-fisted notion of policing your way through a public health problem this is some first-class, carceral colonialist bullshit which in the national context, Western Australia's exceptionally good at.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Yeah, I've been biting my tongue in the name of harmony knowing this isn't quite the place for it but we have a thread devoted to Stack's story so, even aside from the ham-fisted notion of policing your way through a public health problem this is some first-class, carceral colonialist bullshit which in the national context, Western Australia's exceptionally good at.
    Yeah, I'm all for personal responsbility but this heavy handed approach is complete BS.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, I'm all for personal responsbility but this heavy handed approach is complete BS.
    Completely and totally 100% agree. A hamfisted overreaction that appears to be blind and deaf to circumstances.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Slow to reading this, not following wider media. This is just insane on every level. I hope he and Richmond (with their legal access) are launching appeal after appeal. Using sledgehammers to crack nuts just results in everything being destroyed.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Reading these recent posts got me thinking beyond the passing thought I initially had reading about the news story (that this is a sad outcome).

I think that covid breaches are serious and repercussions need to be serious otherwise others could be tempted to flout rules protecting public health.

On the other hand these posts really have me mulling over what if’s ..... if it was another AFL player eg a higher profile indigenous player from WA or a non indigenous player from WA would result be the same?

Good to hear Tigers are helping him, presumably legally and with psychological support too. Hope young Stack’s story is ends up being a happy one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Reading these recent posts got me thinking beyond the passing thought I initially had reading about the news story (that this is a sad outcome).

I think that covid breaches are serious and repercussions need to be serious otherwise others could be tempted to flout rules protecting public health.

On the other hand these posts really have me mulling over what if’s ..... if it was another AFL player eg a higher profile indigenous player from WA or a non indigenous player from WA would result be the same?

Good to hear Tigers are helping him, presumably legally and with psychological support too. Hope young Stack’s story is ends up being a happy one.
    I hope that isn't lost on Stack, clubs are great at supporting players through difficult patches

Post Thanks / Like

Sydney Stack unfairly singled out to spend time in jail after COVID breach, says Jason Mifsud

Ex-AFL multicultural boss is disturbed by the news Sydney Stack is in custody and questioned if other COVID lawbreakers were treated the same way.

The AFL’s former multicultural boss has questioned a decision to keep Richmond’s Sydney Stack behind bars until after Christmas for a COVID breach.

In responding to a media report that the young Tiger would spend more than two weeks in a cell, Jason Mifsud turned to Twitter to air his thoughts.

“If I’m reading this correctly, and Stack is in custody for breaching COVID-19 restrictions, how many other Australians have also been detained in custody for the same issue?” Mifsud wrote.

“This would be the first I’ve heard that someone has been detained in custody for breaking the restrictions and, now for some weeks as the system absurdly and ridiculously says Stack cannot be spoken with.”

Stack caused a furore in September when he copped a 10-week ban after he left the Gold Coast AFL hub to go to a strip club in Surfers Paradise.

He and teammate Callum Coleman-Jones were later involved in a scuffle outside a kebab shop, with Stack briefly detained by police before being sent home from Queensland.

At the time Stack apologised for his costly COVID breach, saying he had let down plenty and could “do nothing now but own the consequences”.

Stack was expected to join the Tigers return to pre-season training on January 6 but will instead face court in Perth on that date instead.

He was remanded in custody on Monday after allegedly breaching COVID-19 self-quarantine orders, which was discovered when police intervened in a Perth street fight.

Stack had been given permission to return to Western Australia to attend his grandfather’s funeral.

He spent several days at his nominated address in Northam after the funeral, but moved to Belmont after a family argument.

AFL clubs and broadcasting boss Travis Auld on Monday called on players to follow the rules.

“I’m not sure if we have an official position just yet other than to say it’s important during this time, whether it’s a player, a staff member, a club member or member of our commission, there’s a set of rules you need to abide by,” Auld said.

“They apply to everyone and if you don’t abide by those rules there’ll be consequences, and I think that’s what is occurring at the moment.”

Don’t sack Stack, Tigers

West Coast Eagles great Peter Sumich has urged Richmond to stick fat with troubled Tiger Sydney Stack.

Sumich, who coached Stack for two seasons in the West Australian under-18 team, said the Richmond hard nut was “a kid who’s done it tough” and deserved another chance.

“I really rate the kid as a person,” Sumich said.

“He’s not a kid that lies and cheats. He makes mistakes because he’s still learning.”

Stack, 20, was arrested in Perth on the weekend for an alleged second COVID breach after being involved in a Northbridge punch-up.

Stack will spend Christmas behind bars after allegedly breaching COVID-19 self-quarantine orders, which was discovered when police intervened in a Perth street fight.

“Personally, I think Richmond has done an outstanding job so far,” Sumich said.

“Sydney has mucked up a couple of times, but along the line there are a lot of players in the history of the game that have mucked up who have got second and third chances and have done it well.

“This kid is just needing more guidance.

“He’s still a young kid at heart and he was always going to make some mistakes – I’ve said that all along – but eventually clicking and learning and maturing.”

Sumich believed Stack could still emerge as a genuine star of the game.

“He was with me for two years and he didn’t shy away from saying ‘I’ve made a blue’,” he said.

“He never lied and that to me is a really good trait.

“And I think that is where Richmond is at.

“They are working through issues with him and I’ve got no doubt he doesn’t lie to Richmond. “He’s upfront but he’s making a few blues at the moment.

“I’d love Richmond to do that (to stand by him).

If they can hold sway and just persist – the kid can play. We’ve all seen that.

“If he got AFL fit, I rate him very highly. He could be a very good player. He’s one of the toughest kids I’ve seen for a long time and he’s got skills on top of that.”

AFL clubs and broadcasting boss Travis Auld called on players to follow the rules.

“I’m not sure if we have an official position just yet other than to say it’s important during this time, whether it’s a player, a staff member, a club member or member of our commission, there’s a set of rules you need to abide by,” Auld said.

“They apply to everyone and if you don’t abide by those rules there’ll be consequences, and I think that’s what is occurring at the moment.”

11. Thanks bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a lot of respect of the views of Sumich and I would hope Richmond do stick with Stack through this challenge like they did last time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've got a lot of respect of the views of Sumich and I would hope Richmond do stick with Stack through this challenge like they did last time.
    Auld on the other hand ...

AFL clubs and broadcasting boss Travis Auld on Monday called on players to follow the rules.

A young Indigenous player in painfully clear need of support spends the holiday period in a jail cell and the league's helpful, tone-deaf public contribution is basically "take your medicine, son".

Could someone kindly link me to articles where Auld mouths off about similarly about Nathan Buckley, or Jesse Hogan, or Brooke Cotchin, or Steele Sidebottom, or ...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Auld on the other hand ...

A young Indigenous player in painfully clear need of support spends the holiday period in a jail cell and the league's helpful, tone-deaf public contribution is basically "take your medicine, son".

Could someone kindly link me to articles where Auld mouths off about similarly about Nathan Buckley, or Jesse Hogan, or Brooke Cotchin, or Steele Sidebottom, or ...
    I'm sure that if you asked him, Travis would be happy to explain to you how he is perfect.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm sure that if you asked him, Travis would be happy to explain to you how he is perfect.
    He certainly mounts a strong case for extending the concept of players with 'punchable heads' to administrators.

BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Did he play league footy?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.