Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Memorable wins when the dogs have been in a trough

Look, i really need some pepping up ahead of tonights' match. And i don't know if it's just me but i detect a sense of foreboding amongst woofers. Can anyone recall a pivotal match which we won when our season was in a trough and looked to be heading south. I won't lie, i've got nothing. I know that we lost the first 11 games of 1980 before cracking the ice against Fitzroy but i can't recall that game. Please. Anything.

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Memorable wins when the dogs have been in a trough

Testing the memory here, I have to really think about it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Definition of a trough? One that comes to mind is 2015. After the brave “breakout” win in Sydney we lost the next three, including coughing up a massive lead to St Kilda. We looked like we’d just been flashes in the pan, but then we played The Acronyms, with our former captain in those colours for the first time, and thrashed them.

I wish I could feel that tonight will be as stirring. Unfortunately this trough feels self-inflicted. Perplexing team selections and not bringing a switched on attitude v Suns and Blues. The Collingwood loss is the only one that feels like an accurate reflection of our effort and (to a degree) personnel.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We were effectively in a trough from 1980-1984 but I went to an away match at Windy Hill that we won in 1984. It really turned us around leading into 85. In hindsight this was our Sydney 2015 win which lead to a fantastic 1985. I'd never been to Windy Hill before we hated Essendon but it was sort of western suburbs side so access was OK as you got to bypass the city. The you beaut thing was a fight broke out between a heap of Essendon supporters at the northern end of the ground after the match. I mean really? I've never seen a fight at WO over 20 years of attendance.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Definition of a trough? One that comes to mind is 2015. After the brave “breakout” win in Sydney we lost the next three, including coughing up a massive lead to St Kilda. We looked like we’d just been flashes in the pan, but then we played The Acronyms, with our former captain in those colours for the first time, and thrashed them.

I wish I could feel that tonight will be as stirring. Unfortunately this trough feels self-inflicted. Perplexing team selections and not bringing a switched on attitude v Suns and Blues. The Collingwood loss is the only one that feels like an accurate reflection of our effort and (to a degree) personnel.
    Definition? hmm maybe when the players look as if they're playing together for the first time. Maybe they're could be a sliding scale. maybe they're in a rut. Play tonight like they did last week and i think it's definitely a trough.

Yeah the gws was definitely a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

2005, Rocket's first year. Up to round 16 it was 6 wins and 10 losses and looking like another pretty bad year. Then come round 17, we started to click into gear and beat Geelong by 35 points, Brisbane by 28, Eagles by 43, Tigers by 12 and suddenly we were in contention for a final. If it wasn't for a ridiculous free to Melbourne in the dying seconds of the match against Skipper in the ruck and dead in front we would have won, losing by 4 points. We finished the season by beating the pies by 41 points and missing finals by half game and 6th by a game, including Melbourne a game ahead by behind us on percentage.

However, we saw a glimpse of the future with the way Rocket wanted us to play and 2006 made finals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we were in the mother of all troughs from 54 to 2016...
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

11. Likes bulldogtragic, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We were effectively in a trough from 1980-1984 but I went to an away match at Windy Hill that we won in 1984. It really turned us around leading into 85. In hindsight this was our Sydney 2015 win which lead to a fantastic 1985. I'd never been to Windy Hill before we hated Essendon but it was sort of western suburbs side so access was OK as you got to bypass the city. The you beaut thing was a fight broke out between a heap of Essendon supporters at the northern end of the ground after the match. I mean really? I've never seen a fight at WO over 20 years of attendance.
    Jim Sewell kicked 5 that day.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did we beat the cats one year down there in the mid 90s after we hadn't won there for years. Probably not a trough though it just always sticks in the memory.

Edit : 95 we made finals so not a trough . Good last quarter though ! Hadn't won there since 85.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/game...919950826.html

Post Thanks / Like

A game at optus in 1996 against St Kilda toward the end of the season. Chris Grant and a few of our better players were missing with injury and illness, in their minds they had it won before the game started and we pulled their pants down.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

16. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2004 was a dirty year - coming into round 12 vs St Kilda we were 3-8 (finished 5-17)

Don’t know how we pulled that off - Bubba kicked 4!...but we managed to knock off the high flying Saints in one of my more fun* (and cold) days at the footy.

*Fun games to remember could be a thread all it’s own - WCE @ the G in 2006 one of my favourites.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    2004 was a dirty year - coming into round 12 vs St Kilda we were 3-8 (finished 5-17)

Don’t know how we pulled that off - Bubba kicked 4!...but we managed to knock off the high flying Saints in one of my more fun* (and cold) days at the footy.

*Fun games to remember could be a thread all it’s own - WCE @ the G in 2006 one of my favourites.
    The big comeback at the G v the Crows with Stephen Powell kicking the winner (I think very foggy)....circa 99? That was fun. Good thread idea!

19. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The big comeback at the G v the Crows with Stephen Powell kicking the winner (I think very foggy)....circa 99? That was fun. Good thread idea!
    Yes! Still remember Darcy tying the scores with a long set shot, felt good to see that win after the previous 2 years (still haven’t beaten them in a final - and credit to their fans, they travel & make noise)

21. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

That's exactly what i need pie man! 2004 seems like one of those years my self therapy has eliminated from my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    That's exactly what i need pie man! 2004 seems like one of those years my self therapy has eliminated from my mind.
    This thread can always trigger things both good & bad.

Hi 1997 ...we lost 4 straight R 15-19 then beat a poor Dees at Carlton that convinced no one we were back, with a trip to AAMI the following Sunday sure to expose us further. I was 19 and watched at my Mums place with a corker of a hangover and still can’t believe the James Cook chase and 60 metre set shot happened.

We were back!

24. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post