Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Memorable wins when the dogs have been in a trough

Let's talk memorable seasons.... random wins suck. Let's be a good footy team for a change.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Let's talk memorable seasons.... random wins suck. Let's be a good footy team for a change.
    Nah. Random memorable wins when a team is down can provide just the springboard a club needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Jim Sewell kicked 5 that day.
    I was 14 and I don't remember that but I do remember that Essendon were a powerhouse team that year. In that regard it was very similar to the 2000 match where we knocked them over spoiling their unbeaten minor premiership. Budgie was everywhere that day which made it all the more sweeter considering he came over from there. Great win. Had a beer as a 14 year old at the Rising Sun on the way home, Dad was feeling very good about it all.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Likes merantau, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I was 14 and I don't remember that but I do remember that Essendon were a powerhouse team that year. In that regard it was very similar to the 2000 match where we knocked them over spoiling their unbeaten minor premiership. Budgie was everywhere that day which made it all the more sweeter considering he came over from there. Great win. Had a beer as a 14 year old at the Rising Sun on the way home, Dad was feeling very good about it all.
    The year before we got thumped at Windy Hill after winning 4 games in a row for the first time in a long time. Jimmy was interviewed on the winners and said something about getting our arses kicked and then stopped and with a look of shock on his face said "I hope there wont be a problem with me saying that" Drew Morphett didn't flinch and said "You just got your arses kicked by 120 points, I think we can allow you that"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Did we beat the cats one year down there in the mid 90s after we hadn't won there for years. Probably not a trough though it just always sticks in the memory.

Edit : 95 we made finals so not a trough . Good last quarter though ! Hadn't won there since 85.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/game...919950826.html
    I was working that day and had a bet with my Geelong supporting co-worker halfway through the second quarter when we were 6 goals behind that we would win (Don't ask me why but I was super confident).

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember being at an outdoor wedding in Blackwood on a freezing day in the early 80s from memory. We upset the Blues at Princes Park. I think Wagon kicked 4 that day. I was really happy with that win. It warmed the cockles of me heart on a freezing day.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I remember being at an outdoor wedding in Blackwood on a freezing day in the early 80s from memory. We upset the Blues at Princes Park. I think Wagon kicked 4 that day. I was really happy with that win. It warmed the cockles of me heart on a freezing day.
    It must have been 1985 because that was our first win at PP since 1964. Beasley kicked 9. I had always wanted to hit those advertising hoardings at the scoreboard end and yell out 'FOOTS-CRAY" the way I had seen Carlton supporters do so many times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The year before we got thumped at Windy Hill after winning 4 games in a row for the first time in a long time. Jimmy was interviewed on the winners and said something about getting our arses kicked and then stopped and with a look of shock on his face said "I hope there wont be a problem with me saying that" Drew Morphett didn't flinch and said "You just got your arses kicked by 120 points, I think we can allow you that"
    Tragic day. Bomber supporter grabbed my scarf on way out. Said he wanted to wipe my tears. Still hurts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Tragic day. Bomber supporter grabbed my scarf on way out. Said he wanted to wipe my tears. Still hurts.
    Perhaps this was the same hilarious character who kept yelling at half time: Lock the gates!!! Don’t let ‘em out!

I refused to leave as the torture piled on. No way would I give him that satisfaction.

And this is why I hate that club more than any other.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

14. Likes bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an easy one for me. Round 2, 1983.

We were reigning wooden spooners, having won just 5 of our previous 47 games.
    We sat second last on the ladder after round 1.

Carlton were reigning back to back premiers. They’d also just won the pre season competition and belted Richmond in the traditional round 1 Grand Final ‘rematch.’ They’d mauled them by 10 goals - meaning the Tigers were the only team sitting below us.

We won by 17 points. It sparked a four game winning streak. We’d doubled our 1982 wins tally by round five of 1983 and beaten eventual Premiers, Hawthorn and the previous year’s grand finalists, Richmond as well.

(Unfunnily enough, in round 6, Essendon ended the winning streak to the tune of 22 goals - which was mentioned in a previous post in this thread.) whilst a jilted Carlton got us by 13 goals in the return match at Princes Park.

But finishing the year 10 & 12 in 7th place was a big improvement on the 10 & 56 we’d dished up over the previous three seasons.

BTW, we went to 11 & 11 in 1984 and then 16 & 6 in 1985. So round 2, 1983 sticks in the mind. Hopefully Saturday night is a similar turning point. Felt a bit like it..
    Last edited by Webby; 06-05-2019 at 11:08 PM.

16. Thanks whythelongface, merantau thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post