Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Three Top KPPs In Three Drafts - All Bulldogs

It's quite the conundrum. Bad form because the boys don't kick it too you!! It must be frustrating playing KPF at the dogs. We've been starved ever since Barry Hall IMO.

I am in the corner of Boyd not getting a good go at it for long enough at FF. He was forced to play ruck due to injuries and he did perform better playing ruck than FF at that time. He never owned that position either though and then his own injuries and personal issues arose. Unfortunate but that's his journey.

Schache seems to have been allowed to play forward more that ruck duties than Tom, but thats probably because he sucks at playing ruck. Schache will be a great KPF for us as soon as he shows presence and competes consistently. He has the tools except he lacks mongrel, which all the gorillas need to have.

However our delivery is awful more than not but that's partly due to the modern day game these days. Congestion due to zoning and the forward press takes away all the space to lead into and makes pin pointing passes near impossible. It's the easy miss kicks that infuriates. Now the good functioning forward lines create space for each other to lead into with movement, blocks and creativity which is something we lack big time. Whether we aren't coached properly in that area or the players aren't up to it... I dunno. All I know is that we need someone to stand up and be the general in the forward line because we lack leadership up there big time.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes whythelongface, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem holding back these three players is what is holding back the team - handball! More emphasis on precision kicking please.

When was the last time you saw a running player receive a bullet pass so that they didn’t break stride. Or a forward mark hands out in front of their face so their opponents couldn’t spoil.

Better kicking, quicker kicking, more direct kicking. Then the players will know where the ball is going and get in good position. And the forwards might be one on one.

Then the supporters can enjoy a few goals for a change.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great OP, with the examples really pertinent. I'd add Walsh and Jones to the list too.

It's a white knight issue. If you aren't Chris Grant or Beasley or Carey/Lloyd we just write them off. There's no development or acceptance of the role outside of a superstar.

5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brisbane and Hipwood are a great example of persistence paying off. They left Hipwood in the team even when he was hardly near it and not really doing anything. He is going great these days he is confident and going for it. Our three need to be left to their position. Naughton FB
    Boyd FF
    Scache CHF.
    Leave them in the team and learn to play with them. They need the time and patience now to pay dividends later on. Give them some continuity.

By by the way Freo made us look slow. Our draw can’t help either Sunday , Friday, Sunday is terrible for training. You will notice the favourite clubs don’t get messed around like we do.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good thread BT.

We should bring in Schache and play him regardless. Boyd should come back in when he has form and fitness.
    I'm not against Naughton as a forward but we do miss him as a defender. He's a conundrum for the selectors
    prior to the GC and Collingwood games Schache averaged 12 disposals per game and 1.5 goals per game. Why the dramatic change.

I suggest it is the way that the ball is moved down the ground and into the forward line. Too slowly followed by too high.

that is why all the forwards are failing.

9. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    prior to the GC and Collingwood games Schache averaged 12 disposals per game and 1.5 goals per game. Why the dramatic change.

I suggest it is the way that the ball is moved down the ground and into the forward line. Too slowly followed by too high.

that is why all the forwards are failing.
    The forwards get plenty of opportunities because we pump the ball into the FWD 50 almost more than any other team. Schache's efforts need to improve. He needs to really attack the ball.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The forwards get plenty of opportunities because we pump the ball into the FWD 50 almost more than any other team. Schache's efforts need to improve. He needs to really attack the ball.
    Yep, at times he just lacks the vigor required. Given he put on size and muscle in the off season it's a shame he doesn't appear to have the confidence to throw his weight around.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

After watching Footscray play Williamstown today, I noted the total lack of any recognisable system.

Surely Bevo and Gia must be on the same constructive page when it comes to coaching.

It looked like Gia's instruction was to get it, and either handball or kick it haphazardly (more or less) in our direction. The lack of discipline and team direction was astounding. That resulted in us attacking on the negative flank with the wind, and defending on Willie's attacking flank when they had the wind.

Oh, wait. They are on the same page.

I have no idea how any of our KPP's can improve with this type of team practice.

Fix the system (or establish one) and we will be back on the road to recovery, and our players will improve.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

We’re seemingly spoilt for talent in KPF stocks more than almost ever... I’d like to see the guys given an extended crack at their best spot.

It’s not like the other fwds in the team are killing it, so there’s little downside.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache has been putrid for the last few weeks, but is it any wonder we looked like we might score when we had him and Naughton paired together in Rounds 1 & 2?

Like most, I want to see Boyd play FF for the long term.

I think we can play Boyd, Naughton and Schache in the one side. All compliment one another in that Boyd is the 'Hawkins' close to goal type (ala bail out option), Naughton is our Daniher (Runs and jumps at the ball) whilst Schache is a leading forward.

Dickson is done and Gowers isn't the answer.

We can easily, and should, try and build a forward half around all of Boyd, Naughton and Schache.

But we won't.

15. Likes DOG GOD, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Schache has been putrid for the last few weeks, but is it any wonder we looked like we might score when we had him and Naughton paired together in Rounds 1 & 2?

Like most, I want to see Boyd play FF for the long term.

I think we can play Boyd, Naughton and Schache in the one side. All compliment one another in that Boyd is the 'Hawkins' close to goal type (ala bail out option), Naughton is our Daniher (Runs and jumps at the ball) whilst Schache is a leading forward.

Dickson is done and Gowers isn't the answer.

We can easily, and should, try and build a forward half around all of Boyd, Naughton and Schache.

But we won't.
    With this set up I'm guessing we would only play one Ruck?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Surely Boyd would play second ruck, but only for short stints
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Yep - long term this is English. This year, he'll need to be rested at times. Boyd would still likely need to chop out in the ruck for 5-8 mins a qtr, which is fine.

I'd like to see us commit to a structure, even when it doesn't work for a week or two. Commit to it. Most would be satisified with a Boyd/Naughton/Schache combo, understanding of the fact that all 3 need to improve in certain areas. I'm sick of us playing mids as key forwards (ie. Dunkley) and expecting success. Boyd won't be a star KPF but he is predictable in that he brings the ball to ground - this is a POSITIVE. We can then recruit pressure small and medium forwards to work with the talls.

Instead, Bevo and co are hellbent on commiting to structures that simply were never and have never worked (Dunkley as a key forward or ruck, Jong rucking, Gowers FF etc).

Let's be predictable - a BIG key forward to bring the ball to ground (Boyd), an agile jumping key forward to compliment Boyd (Naughton), a leading forward (Schache) and small/medium pressure forwards. This is a structure which is LONG proven. We have some of this cattle on our list already, so let's commit to it and NEVER kill our eyes watching our horrible kicking mids play as key forwards ever again!

19. Likes Rocket Science, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Yep - long term this is English. This year, he'll need to be rested at times. Boyd would still likely need to chop out in the ruck for 5-8 mins a qtr, which is fine.

I'd like to see us commit to a structure, even when it doesn't work for a week or two. Commit to it. Most would be satisified with a Boyd/Naughton/Schache combo, understanding of the fact that all 3 need to improve in certain areas. I'm sick of us playing mids as key forwards (ie. Dunkley) and expecting success. Boyd won't be a star KPF but he is predictable in that he brings the ball to ground - this is a POSITIVE. We can then recruit pressure small and medium forwards to work with the talls.

Instead, Bevo and co are hellbent on commiting to structures that simply were never and have never worked (Dunkley as a key forward or ruck, Jong rucking, Gowers FF etc).

Let's be predictable - a BIG key forward to bring the ball to ground (Boyd), an agile jumping key forward to compliment Boyd (Naughton), a leading forward (Schache) and small/medium pressure forwards. This is a structure which is LONG proven. We have some of this cattle on our list already, so let's commit to it and NEVER kill our eyes watching our horrible kicking mids play as key forwards ever again!

I agree. Let's back our guys in to do it better than the other team's guys. It might mean we are taking take some thumpings in the short term but at least we would be working towards something. Even if our guys aren't up to it then at least we find out and we can move on to something else. Somebody (think it was BT) said last week that it's like we are a little bit pregnant in that we aren't one thing or the other but more stuck in the middle and not going forward. At this rate we will just get picked off week after week until our players have no confidence in themselves, their teammates or the team.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting discussion, and I agree that developing key forwards hasn’t been a strength in many a year and the lack of one was seen as why we couldn’t get it done in 08-09 with an undersized forward line, hence the recruitment of Barry hall. We do seem to lack patience in letting young talls develop and trying to build a team around them, Liam Jones was probably the last one we hoped to make the grade.

(It’s funny though how we won the flag..not with a gorilla but by a makeshift group. Clay Smith, Liam Picken, Cordy...the natural forwards were Dickson (not a KPP) & Stringer who did not kick the bags of goals we all thought he would on big stage.)
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic