Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  42
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maybe Bevo doesn’t know it but...

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I love Cross and West and Boyd and I know they have all spent time at other clubs. Also think we need some assistants and/or senior advisors from other clubs with no recent WB involvement as well (fresh eyes, no fear of upsetting prior team mates etc). Malthouse? Riewoldt? Bartel? Others? And crucially a goal kicking coach!!
    I agree, we don't need ex Bulldogs, we need some fresh ideas from different clubs, successful clubs like Hawks, Swans, West Coast, Richmond
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Our team of coaches won an amazing premiership. How many have been poached by other clubs? (Monty left before it)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'm concerned with the coaching team and selection and the deterioration in skills and the poor development of some players. But, not as concerned as I am with the people who allowed it to get like this.

How any administration can allow a football department to maintain a position where absolutely no fresh blood is recruited to help address glaring issues leaves me a little flabbergasted. What we have now is a classic echo chamber breeding situation, where ideas aren't challenged sufficiently and new ideas aren't brought forward. And it shows with how are playing.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke hasn’t looked like he enjoys his job for a long time. I’m not convinced he would want an extension.
    Since 2017 at times I’ve wondered if he isn’t well. He doesn’t appear (from my very limited view) to have as much energy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Luke hasn’t looked like he enjoys his job for a long time. I’m not convinced he would want an extension.
    Since 2017 at times I’ve wondered if he isn’t well. He doesn’t appear (from my very limited view) to have as much energy.
    He once said he'd be a five year coach, not a career coach. Not sure if that's changed.

I absolutely agree with everyone who has suggested we get new assistants in. As far as I can tell Gia is doing well as VFL coach and the boys raved about Corey, but it's hard to judge assistants from the outside.

Leftfield suggestion (because he's a very different thinker to most football types) but Brett Kirk seems the guy who would have a knack of really connecting to some players and getting the best out of them.
    Woudl be quite the change to have a Buddhist/meditator in the camp but we need different voices if only for a different perspective.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

These are the people I would be approaching about a senior assistant coaching position for 2020
    (In no particular order)
    Justin Leppitsch
    Mark Harvey
    Brenton Sanderson
    Matthew Knights
    Brett Ratten

All five have coached at a senior level and are currently in assistant coaching roles at other clubs. They would bring experience and an outside point of view.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see us approach Anthony Rocca as goal kicking coach.
    On results so far he's arguably the best in the business. If we can improve our accuracy in front of goal we become a vastly better side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    On results so far he's arguably the best in the business. If we can improve our accuracy in front of goal we become a vastly better side.
    He's currently part time at Collingwood. Ruck coach and game day has a role on the bench.

Post Thanks / Like

Too early to consider getting Matty Boyd back to the club? Not as a kicking coach..obviously, but as a harder edged assistant.
    I'd imagine Matty would not be backward in coming forward in delivering a tough message.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Do you mean Sav?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Do you mean Sav?
    I do, thanks I stand corrected.

Post Thanks / Like

Ratten seems to be of high regard , made mistakes in his first tenure but is showing he has what it takes.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Ratten seems to be of high regard , made mistakes in his first tenure but is showing he has what it takes.
    And has a contract with another club unfortunately. I'd love to get him on board but I think that ship has sailed already.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    These are the people I would be approaching about a senior assistant coaching position for 2020
    (In no particular order)
    Justin Leppitsch
    Mark Harvey
    Brenton Sanderson
    Matthew Knights
    Brett Ratten

All five have coached at a senior level and are currently in assistant coaching roles at other clubs. They would bring experience and an outside point of view.
    Leppa - didn't make a pigs ear of a coaching gig a little while back?
    Harvey - no thanks. Too long out of the game as a player with very little direct coaching
    Sanderson - yeah ok
    Knights - are you kidding?
    Rattan - as an assistant yes. Not sure about him running the whole shebang

Post Thanks / Like

Young men need change and newness. GWS had or have Sheedy as their 'mentor'.
    Why don't we get Barry Hall or Jonno back to the club in a symbolic role as a training mentor for forwards etc? The fans would love it. Time to think outside of the box a bit with how we motivate these players and staff and fans at all level.

It is as though some of these deficiencies ( kicking ) are starting to grow on these young blokes like barnacles and it's annoying to watch.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus