Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Bevo doesn’t know it but...

....he doesn’t have the relationship or respect of the players he thinks he does?

I’ve seen it a lot before in business. People miss judge relationships and it destroys their team’s results.

Maybe he’s just a coach to most of the guys. Maybe he’s “almost” a coach to a few? Maybe he has too many favourites that a bunch roll their eyes when certain standards are expected from some and not others.

At this rate, he’s likely to go:

Finals
    Flag
    Miss
    Miss
    Miss
    Sacked

That’s an all time fall from grace.

We can all cop losses. But constant losses for the same reason? I think we’re all over it.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maybe Bevo doesn’t know it but...

Maybe we should just let those in positions of power at the Club do their jobs. Predicting the future, based on guesses of things we know nothing about helps nobody.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    ....he doesn’t have the relationship or respect of the players he thinks he does?

I’ve seen it a lot before in business. People miss judge relationships and it destroys their team’s results.

Maybe he’s just a coach to most of the guys. Maybe he’s “almost” a coach to a few? Maybe he has too many favourites that a bunch roll their eyes when certain standards are expected from some and not others.

At this rate, he’s likely to go:

Finals
    Flag
    Miss
    Miss
    Miss
    Sacked

That’s an all time fall from grace.

We can all cop losses. But constant losses for the same reason? I think we’re all over it.
    I think you may rethink this tomorow. At least, given your posting history I hope you do.

We all would like to find the one, the ultimate person we can lay blame toward. Man, it would be soothing, were it true.

We've had some great coaches in my lifetime. Nonetheless only one has led us to a flag.
    But I guess that was just a fluke?

Wheeler, Wallace, Eade all led us to commanding home and away positions....
    How many flags?

Bevo surely does have to own some things; so does the broader club, Gordon, Grant, Bains, assistant coaches................numerous professional football players who keep turning the ball over, miss easy goals.....

We've one, ONE, coach who has brought us a flag in 62 years, and we're gonna burn him at the stake for our collective frailties?
    I wonder if Collingwood, might've liked their time again with Leigh Matthews? Maybe they would've evaluated things differently?

We clearly have a skill problem. Surely that rests with recruiting and training?

5. Thanks The bulldog tragician, Scraggers thanked for this post
    Likes dadsgirl16, N/A, Avoid the rush, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Maybe we should just let those in positions of power at the Club do their jobs. Predicting the future, based on guesses of things we know nothing about helps nobody.
    Andrew, I wish I could like that post 100 times.

7. Thanks AndrewP6 thanked for this post
    Likes Scraggers, Twodogs, Avoid the rush liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Absolutely. We all just second guess anything that goes on.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot of snark towards Bevo lately. References to his surfing, skating, it’s getting tiresome. I don’t always agree with his selections. I believe he definitely needs more support, different voices around him, but how quickly we forget the massive achievement of 2016 and overturning a 60 year culture of failure.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

10. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we can only go on facts. That is, Bevo's contract expires next year. The club has two distinct choices:

- afford him more rope to continue what he's doing game plan, selections, philosophy etc.
    - clean house of his assistants (like Richmond) and get him a senior assistant. Change things up.

Then the board can weigh things up mid next year based on success on W/L or internal metrics. That's about the most anyone can say.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes whythelongface, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    There is a lot of snark towards Bevo lately. References to his surfing, skating, it’s getting tiresome. I don’t always agree with his selections. I believe he definitely needs more support, different voices around him, but how quickly we forget the massive achievement of 2016 and overturning a 60 year culture of failure.
    I don't think I could possibly care less about his surfing, skating or even working out in the gym but he does sound a little like a frustrated coach who is searching for answers which isn't a great reflection. I can't live in the past though, 2016 was great but it was a long while ago in my opinion. Bevo's not on his own here, he's part of a bigger picture that need to come up with the answers and that point isn't lost on me.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No one is forgetting the flag that wagged. The urgency, snark, frustration is because we do remember it. The club is presenting itself incrediblly differently and the most visible feature is a coach who looks bereft of ideas at times, pig headed most of the time. There is no joy in our footy and it's a reflection of what our leadership are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

The 2016 premiership was great, at the time. It is now simply history.

There’s no denying that the team’s performance since the bye in 2017 has been unbelievably poor. Most of the wins in 2018 were against the bottom four clubs, and two of them have beaten us this year.

The life of the club depends upon the supporters believing that the best possible team is taking the field each week. From the comments in this forum it’s obvious that many don’t. And that’s what I see around me at the game.

Look at selections for the Carlton game. One vfl player had 28 possessions, 2 goals and 25 hitouts. Overlooked for someone with 12 possessions in the same match. Not seen as OK when the result is a 10 goal defeat.

17. Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep drawing back to the Dockers (supporters) and their want to move Lyon on following the illustrious fall from grace after making the 2013 Grand Final. Instead the board stuck fatt and football department got an overhaul. Even though its early days yet in this season, the Dockers sit second on the ladder and are playing an exciting brand of footy. We need to do the same. we move coaches on way too early (Rocket should have got another contract). Our on-field personnel has changed dramatically over the last three years; some by design others through natural selection (retirements etc). We need to give Bevo the same luxury that Lyon got. Give him an extension and the support he deserves plus a footy department shake-up.

We need to stay fatt ... after 2016, god knows Bevo deserves that !!
    WOOF Member 422

19. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    We need to stay fatt
    Pfft. You can't even practice what you preach .
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Yes 2016 was great, and he’ll always be the coach that took us to that premiership, but let’s be honest, what we have done since has been diabolical in what has followed.

If I was the board the last thing I would be doing at this point is a contract extension. That shouldn’t even be talked about. A TOTAL review needs to be looked at at the end of the year (coz they won’t do anything now), starting with the asst coaches. ALL need to be replaced and Bevo needs a coaching mentor brought in for support. #1 priority for mine. A kicking coach needs to be given a full time reign at the club for 2020. Don’t care what the cost, just get it done. No more excuses. This needs to be fixed.

Complacency can destroy a club. End of 2016 we were thinking of a golden era for the club. We have fallen so far from that, 2016 seems like a pipe dream right now.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think I could possibly care less about his surfing, skating or even working out in the gym but he does sound a little like a frustrated coach who is searching for answers which isn't a great reflection. I can't live in the past though, 2016 was great but it was a long while ago in my opinion. Bevo's not on his own here, he's part of a bigger picture that need to come up with the answers and that point isn't lost on me.
    I was referring to people on here sniping about surfing and skating as a basis for making comments about him and his selections. Nobody is above scrutiny, who knows if he can recapture the 2016 magic, I can’t understand his selection logic either, and yep, 2016 is the past, but i just prefer the discussion to be less personal and mocking in tone.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

23. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was referring to people on here sniping about surfing and skating as a basis for making comments about him and his selections. Nobody is above scrutiny, who knows if he can recapture the 2016 magic, I can’t understand his selection logic either, and yep, 2016 is the past, but i just prefer the discussion to be less personal and mocking in tone.
    Fully agree, I haven't seen anything of note about his surfing or skating here but I'll keep an eye out for it going forward because it's of little relevance to how we are performing.
    I think there is a level of frustration after 2 poor seasons and that this one hasn't lived up to what we hoped for so far. We can't live in the sunshine of 2016 for much longer though and we may very need to shake the footy department up sooner or later.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"