Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

A bitter taste in the mouth': Bulldogs looking to snap losing streak

link

Losing four consecutive games doesn’t sit well with Western Bulldogs midfielder Mitch Wallis.

The Bulldogs set themselves for a big showing against Fremantle in Perth on Saturday night, admitting they lowered their colours against Carlton in round five.

And while they were in the game against the Dockers up to their eyeballs, they lost by 19 points after a poor start to the final quarter.

After winning their first two games of the season, they now have a 2-4 record and are among the bottom sides on the ladder.

Wallis said the Dogs' most recent loss had left a bitter taste in their mouths.

“Our endeavour was great, but how many times can you say that?

“We let them out too easy from the centre bounce in the last quarter and they really had a fair bit of the momentum. We had our opportunity with shots on goal and we couldn't convert.

“It's a pretty disappointing loss, this one.
    “It does leave a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth, this one.

“Being 0-4 doesn't sit well; it does hurt. You can't mask it.”

The Dogs had eight players on the field on Saturday with fewer than 50 games experience and three who are yet to reach double figures.

Ruckman Tim English is just 21 years old and key forward Aaron Naughton is yet to turn 20.

But Wallis said the team was not listening to commentary around how inexperienced the side is.

“That's an excuse; we don't like using age as an excuse,” he said.

“We have plenty of talent and they are proving themselves, but we’re not being consistent over four quarters.

“We’re searching for that.”

As the Bulldogs look for their third win, they turn their attention to Richmond.

They meet the Tigers at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

Again, the Bulldogs had enough entries into attack against the Dockers to win that game, but with 9.15 on the board, they let themselves down in front of goals.

In their previous three losses, they were also wasteful in attack, kicking 9.14 (against Gold Coast), 9.10 (against Collingwood) and 7.15 (against Carlton).

Wallis said they needed to start taking their chances to add pressure on the scoreboard when they came.

“We had our opportunity with shots on goal and we couldn't convert,” he said.

“We're hoping we can have an even spread and when it's someone's turn to put their hand up, you do that. If we look at our efficiency kicking at goal, we are nowhere near where we need to be.

“We flip that around and kick the goals we should, we'll be in more games, win a few more.

“We’re not too far off it, but have a few things to tick off.

“When you start to build pressure, but you don't get the scoreboard pressure and they can slingshot back and kick a goal, it is quite demoralising.

“The signs are there that we can take it up to Fremantle. We rate Fremantle pretty highly. To play like we did over here was a good sign, but at the end of the day, we didn't come up with four points.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A bitter taste in the mouth': Bulldogs looking to snap losing streak

Very frustrating. I was a bit more happy with the effort last night but we simply just don’t take our opportunities. Cmon Dogs let’s try and turn it around.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Talk is cheap. I've heard it all before.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

5. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Talk is cheap. I've heard it all before.
    I feel this and Beco’s presser are more pointed at not finishing as well as required.

I’m not sure, but I don’t recall missed shots on goal being mentioned a great deal previously?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I feel this and Beco’s presser are more pointed at not finishing as well as required.

I’m not sure, but I don’t recall missed shots on goal being mentioned a great deal previously?
    He has mentioned it before.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...1bce056e5817a0
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean that Bevo hasn't mentioned missed shots before? Because it has been a topic of much conversation for three coaches now from what I can remember.

I can remember texting Mantis at half time in the 2009 prelim and asking if Barry Hall would make a difference to our team. His reply was "can we get him in time for the second half?"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can’t read that but fair enough. I felt the presser was really pointed around small forwards etc also. It was music to my ears.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a ton of highly experienced, accurate ex-players. Bring in Barry Hall, Toast, any number of excellent kicks to stop this generation getting a little bit ahead of itself.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Need it be an ex-player though?

Whatever we've been doing to rectify this - viewed through the prism of Bevo's now candid exasperation in pressers - isn't working.

Stuff it, Bevo has Hawks links. Get Dunstall down on a part time basis. Assuming anyone in our coaching circle's not totally allergic to fresh voices.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

12. Likes Insufficient Intent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can’t read that but fair enough. I felt the presser was really pointed around small forwards etc also. It was music to my ears.
    I agree. This week and last weeks presser is where for the first time he has voiced his concern publicly.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Need it be an ex-player though?

Whatever we've been doing to rectify this - viewed through the prism of Bevo's now candid exasperation in pressers - isn't working.

Stuff it, Bevo has Hawks links. Get Dunstall down on a part time basis. Assuming anyone in our coaching circle's not totally allergic to fresh voices.
    Get Rocca.

Turned Casbault from a terrible shot for goal to better than average. Anyone who can do that is a genius.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers