Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope to play AFL matches at Whitten Oval under $150m redevelopment plan

Frivolous question but how long is that running track? 1km?
    It seems like a 'knee friendly' surface so I imagine that alone would get people to the precinct, a running session followed by lunch at Barkers.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope to play AFL matches at Whitten Oval under $150m redevelopment plan

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Part of what will fund this plan is the use of the parcel of land gifted to the club near the railway. You can see from the sketches some new apartments.

That's the exact business model of the new a-league franchise Western United. Granted land by Wyndham which they'll develop as housing / commercial and use profits to build new stadium at Tarneit or pay off debt secured by future sales .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    There is always entrepreneurial risk. You could also argue that there is even more risk if we do nothing and fall behind all the other clubs.

World Class facilities that are open to the community is something that the Government should invest in. This is a shared resource, that includes facilities that everyone will use (e.g. Running Track). The Bulldogs have been an essential part of the community for 100+ years. The brand, the respect and reach to influence the community the via the Community Foundation should not be understated. We can have a significant positive influence on the community. The Western Bulldogs are more than just a professional sports team. This isn't the USA model where the success of the club ultimately benefits some random billionaire.
    Agree on the first point, I’m ok with the risk, I just hope they’ve done the homework properly.

I also get the 2nd point, but I’m often sceptical of the “community benefits” angle used to justify the government funding aspect. It’s always brought out as a justification. I’m just not sure that the community benefits are often commensurate with the financial outlay. I’m all for community facilities, just not sure that this is how governments should fund them. Anyway, that is a personal viewpoint. Clubs will do what they gotta do. I also agree that we have set up some great community programs within the Western suburbs.
    Yay Bulldogs.

4. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it's game on for which ground is going to be the home of women's footy. Carlton had a ping at sneaking past us with their weatherbeaten old craphole of a stadium but hopefully this gets us the chocolates.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I hope there’s a VERY solid business plan behind this. It’s the type of project that could be the making of the club, but could also be a long term disaster. I’m also not in love with the club constantly going to government for funding (to whatever extent) but that’s more of an issue with taxpayers money going into professional sports teams.
    But it isn't going to a sporting team per se. The Whitten Oval is a community facility that belongs to and is for the use of the people of the western suburbs. It just so happens that most of us who live around here are massive bulldog supporters and are happy to see the club get a benefit as well as the rest of us.

I hope you are right about the business plan though. This could easily go tits up without a project manager. who knows what they are doing and shares the vision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    But it isn't going to a sporting team per se. The Whitten Oval is a community facility that belongs to and is for the use of the people of the western suburbs. It just so happens that most of us who live around here are massive bulldog supporters and are happy to see the club get a benefit as well as the rest of us.

I hope you are right about the business plan though. This could easily go tits up without a project manager. who knows what they are doing and shares the vision.
    Honest question because I don’t know, but what aspects of the facility currently are community based and available for use? (sorry if I’m taking the thread too far off topic, happy to leave it alone)

Post Thanks / Like

I’m very excited by this news. Hopefully it’s gets all approved. Would be more easier for our northern/south/east suburbs supporters to go to as well with it being only 5km our from the city and West Footscray station on the doorstep. Much closer than Ballarat for a lot of us.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Honest question because I don’t know, but what aspects of the facility currently are community based and available for use? (sorry if I’m taking the thread too far off topic, happy to leave it alone)
    There is a large building to the right of the John Gent stand which is used by the community for multiple different types of sports.

Victoria University Community Sports Stadium (external link) is the largest multi-sport stadium in the inner west.

Our four court, state-of-the-art facility includes:

first class flooring
    international standard lighting
    courts lined for basketball, futsal, netball, volleyball and badminton
    onsite parking.
    The stadium is part of the partnership between VU and Western Bulldogs.
    Not sure how it gets incorporated into the new plan.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good, but I'll get excited once there's actually serious, serious money behind it. It's a good drawing though and I hope it comes off. The car park idea is a very good one, would've been nice to see it in there somewhere.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember it’s not owned by the club it’s a public park owned by the council, the only way it can get upgraded Is by government money.
    First thing I thought was where is the car park ? You need a 20,000 people ground you need some sort of parking , that’s why princess park will always have it over us.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Just remember it’s not owned by the club it’s a public park owned by the council, the only way it can get upgraded Is by government money.
    First thing I thought was where is the car park ? You need a 20,000 people ground you need some sort of parking , that’s why princess park will always have it over us.
    Princes
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The dream of getting AFL back at Whitten Oval is back but I don’t want to get to ahead of myself just yet.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The community get access to an indoor sports centre down at the cross st end and a creche in the car park. You are quite right to suspect that the club benefits more than anyone from the investment but that's pretty much how we want it. Before the last redevelopment they weren't even supposed to put up a fence around the ground but the moment the VFL team came into existence all those rules changed.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope there’s a VERY solid business plan behind this. It’s the type of project that could be the making of the club, but could also be a long term disaster. I’m also not in love with the club constantly going to government for funding (to whatever extent) but that’s more of an issue with taxpayers money going into professional sports teams.
    The taxpayer has contributed well over $100m (in 5 separate stages no less) to fund that shithole tinshed down the highway, for no good reason other than it is located in the marginal electorate of Coragamite. With that in mind, I'm quite OK with our club lobbying for a much smaller portion of the govt purse for the redevelopment of the Kennel.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

“It will also involve a slightly re-oriented playing surface ..."
    Hmm, maybe this would help our current predicament of players kicking points instead of goals.