Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

RIP Mike Williamson

One of the great footy callers back in the 60s and 70s, and a bit of a character.

One of his best calls:

Condolences to Family and Friends
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RIP Mike Williamson

Jeslaulenko you bewdy*!

Ted, they have been playing, if my hand will stop shaking long enough for me to check my wrist watch...

I tipped this!

RIP MIke.

I used to work with Swan McKay, the bloke who kicks the ball to Jezza to take that mark. Pretty much every Friday afternoon (after we had got back from the pub) when he walked past my desk I'd yell out "McKay from the wing" It didn't get on his nerves or anything!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I was listening to a 3GL (Geelong) broadcast of a Cats vs 'Dogs, which was a rather close contest.

EJ (commentating) was getting a little excited, and evidently didn't approve of the string of Bulldog backline handpasses.

"Kick the bloody thing", was his contribution to broadcasting greatness.

But I wonder if modern supporters realise what the current game owes to the commentators and journos, like Mike Williamson.

I remember hurrying home from the games on a Saturday to be there in time for the TV footy replays, and the Pelaco inquest. There were the Kevin Dennis Footy Show (on Friday evenings I think), the ABC offerings and of course the obligatory World of Sport on Sundays. All with their complement of VFL stars and ex stars. Names like Jack Edwards, Reg Hickey, Chicken Smallhorn, Butch Gale,
    Jack and Lou, Bobby Davis, Harry Bietzel, Ian Cleland, Thorold Merret and a host of others graced our screens. And not to forget the legendary "Uncle" Doug Elliot and his Huttons Hams, the origin of the nickname for the hand off, "Don't argue, Huttons is best".

These, and many others, made a great contribution to a great game.

Thank-you Mike, and all.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

5. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Years ago I was listening to a 3GL (Geelong) broadcast of a Cats vs 'Dogs, which was a rather close contest.

EJ (commentating) was getting a little excited, and evidently didn't approve of the string of Bulldog backline handpasses.

"Kick the bloody thing", was his contribution to broadcasting greatness.

But I wonder if modern supporters realise what the current game owes to the commentators and journos, like Mike Williamson.

I remember hurrying home from the games on a Saturday to be there in time for the TV footy replays, and the Pelaco inquest. There were the Kevin Dennis Footy Show (on Friday evenings I think), the ABC offerings and of course the obligatory World of Sport on Sundays. All with their complement of VFL stars and ex stars. Names like Jack Edwards, Reg Hickey, Chicken Smallhorn, Butch Gale,
    Jack and Lou, Bobby Davis, Harry Bietzel, Ian Cleland, Thorold Merret and a host of others graced our screens. And not to forget the legendary "Uncle" Doug Elliot and his Huttons Hams, the origin of the nickname for the hand off, "Don't argue, Huttons is best".

These, and many others, made a great contribution to a great game.

Thank-you Mike, and all.
    66 grand final EJ and Mike - great call
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Modern day commentators need to watch some old Mike Williamson broadcasts and learn from one of the best - don't make it about YOU and just call the game.
    Footscray member since 1980.

8. Likes bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well played Mike. I've got a sneaky feeling that Mike may have been born in Footscray.
    In the early '70's i remember Mike hosting a show called Football Inquest. And the Penthouse Club with Mary Hardy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Well played Mike. I've got a sneaky feeling that Mike may have been born in Footscray.
    In the early '70's i remember Mike hosting a show called Football Inquest. And the Penthouse Club with Mary Hardy.
    Ernie Sigley took over from Mike IIRC
    Bring back the biff